Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [19]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V700
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [4]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: Equestrian enthusiasts predict that the alleged abuse of anabolic ster [#permalink]
Bookmarks
dunk123 wrote:
Presonally I think its D.
Its Either D or E because we are talking about prediction so it has to be future simple, and between them I think its D because I learned that the stracture is "IF .. were .. "

Would love to hear why its is and not were.

I think the "if . . . were" structure is used when your conditional refers to the impossible.

For example, "If I were you . . ." states an impossible condition because I cannot be you.

Here, steroid testing being enforced is not an impossible condition.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Equestrian enthusiasts predict that the alleged abuse of anabolic ster [#permalink]
E.
Predict => present tense => only C,D,E left
Cross out C "will have subsided"
Cross out D " were" , unreal condition.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
As per the subject verb agreement , number of verb has to agree with the subject. In the underlined portion "testing of the animals is more random" it is the testing that should be random. Since testing is singular the verb should be singular.Hence the options with were have to be eliminated. More over subject + "of ..." constructions we have to ignore the "of .." part right??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
It must be E,

Conditional Structure:

If Present tense then future tense

Pls correct me If I am wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: IT Consulting
GMAT 2: 520
Send PM
Required construction is IF PRESENT, THEN FUTURE

Choice E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1082 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
The question here is whether if will take IS or WERE..... as used for conditional statements.
Is were to be used only in unreal situations ???
eg:

If i were to choose , i would have chosen the red one.

Is this wrong ????
Experts please throw some light...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
shikhar wrote:
The question here is whether if will take IS or WERE..... as used for conditional statements.
Is were to be used only in unreal situations ???
eg:

If i were to choose , i would have chosen the red one.

Is this wrong ????
Experts please throw some light...

hi Shikhar, again trying to think on this one. Does the "is" and "were" have something to do with singular and plural tense?

the only thing i can think of why E is correct over D is...the statement reads "if the random testing of the animals were/is"... here random testing is singular and hence should be "is".

if i used that to your statement i think it would be..."if i had to choose, i would have chosen the red one".

OR

As MGMAT puts it, the "were" is used only for impossible conditions and here it doesnt represent a impossible condition and hence is.

again, im trying to justify the answer E here and hence could be way off the mark.

can the experts pls help? all this wild guessing wont help!! :-D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
AndrewN, I was confused between A and E, was going to choose E but then went with A.
What is your take on this question ?
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [3]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kntombat wrote:
AndrewN, I was confused between A and E, was going to choose E but then went with A.

It is funny, kntombat. Your query surrounds the verb predict, and I recently helped one of my clients with a similar question that, I believe, was based on the same word. To keep matters simple, consider the following two sentences:

1) I predict that Candidate A will win the election.
2) I predict that Candidate A would win the election.

The first sentence outlines a prediction, while the second does not. The second seems to launch into a conditional instead, unless we are to believe that predict is meant to be predicted instead.

In the sentence at hand, predict in the present tense calls for will, so (A) and (B) can be eliminated. In choice (C), even if you want will have subsided to work, you still have to come to terms with splitting up testing and random. That is, what does testing... is more random achieve in the way of clarity that the more streamlined random testing in (D) or (E) lacks? Nothing. If we have a few reasons to doubt an answer choice, then we should probably remove it from consideration. Finally, between (D) and (E), we have to qualify the nature of this prediction. If random testing [is or were] performed, then what will happen? The definitive outcome of will implies that such testing can be conducted, not that it is an elusive or theoretical process. This is why is works instead of were. That leaves (E) as the last answer standing.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
kntombat wrote:

It is funny, kntombat. Your query surrounds the verb predict, and I recently helped one of my clients with a similar question that, I believe, was based on the same word. To keep matters simple, consider the following two sentences:

1) I predict that Candidate A will win the election.
2) I predict that Candidate A would win the election.

The first sentence outlines a prediction, while the second does not. The second seems to launch into a conditional instead, unless we are to believe that predict is meant to be predicted instead.

In the sentence at hand, predict in the present tense calls for will, so (A) and (B) can be eliminated. In choice (C), even if you want will have subsided to work, you still have to come to terms with splitting up testing and random. That is, what does testing... is more random achieve in the way of clarity that the more streamlined random testing in (D) or (E) lacks? Nothing. If we have a few reasons to doubt an answer choice, then we should probably remove it from consideration. Finally, between (D) and (E), we have to qualify the nature of this prediction. If random testing [is or were] performed, then what will happen? The definitive outcome of will implies that such testing can be conducted, not that it is an elusive or theoretical process. This is why is works instead of were. That leaves (E) as the last answer standing.

I hope that helps. Thank you for thinking to ask me about this one.

- Andrew

Hi AndrewN..

I would like to delve into the usage of "would". I don't think that inclusion of "would" always launches a conditional statement. As my very first sentence and the below example show that "would" is also applicable in one of the many use cases, in which some expectation or wish is to be expressed :

Example : I would like to attend the meeting.

The word "predict" brushes very close to "expectation", and I am little fuzzy that the combination of "predict" and "would" is wrong. Kindly enlighten us from your as usual insightful clarification.
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [1]
Given Kudos: 500