Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
Send PM
Re: Online GMAT 2020- What happens in case of internet issues? [#permalink]
bb, my wifi goes down for several seconds usually. It comes back within a minute. Going by what you said, hope it won't cause much of a problem then..

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aratrika25 wrote:
bb, my wifi goes down for several seconds usually. It comes back within a minute. Going by what you said, hope it won't cause much of a problem then..

You can read the briefs from people who had interruptions. It seems it is fine to have the Internet go down during the wait time or the break but it seems to be an issue during the test.

Imagine a scenario where do you encounter a hard question that you don’t know how to solve so you kick your router which reboots enjoying the downtime, you’re a little brother comes into the room takes a snapshot of the question with his phone and walks out and solves it a little bit later and whispers you the answer. From the dBriefs I have read, anything more than a couple seconds, results into a test being terminated and rescheduled.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
bb If the internet goes down during the online test, does it affect my algorithm ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
bb wrote:
If your internet goes down during the test, Unless it is for a few seconds, your test will be stopped and you’ll have to take it again at another time.

I would be thankful if you may elaborate a bit on this. So when you say that one will have to take the exam again, one will have to pay again?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
duttan wrote:
bb wrote:
If your internet goes down during the test, Unless it is for a few seconds, your test will be stopped and you’ll have to take it again at another time.

I would be thankful if you may elaborate a bit on this. So when you say that one will have to take the exam again, one will have to pay again?

Might be worth reaching out to the representatives on mba.com for guidance about this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 236 [0]
Given Kudos: 295
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Retail Banking)
Send PM
bb wrote:
Aratrika25 wrote:

You can read the briefs from people who had interruptions. It seems it is fine to have the Internet go down during the wait time or the break but it seems to be an issue during the test.

Imagine a scenario where do you encounter a hard question that you don’t know how to solve so you kick your router which reboots enjoying the downtime, you’re a little brother comes into the room takes a snapshot of the question with his phone and walks out and solves it a little bit later and whispers you the answer. From the dBriefs I have read, anything more than a couple seconds, results into a test being terminated and rescheduled.

Hi bb

Now it's Mansoon here in India. Which means there will be a occasional power cut, but backup generator takes a minute + rebooting WiFi would take a minute. So is it safe ( rather unsafe) to assume that in an event of power outage, my test will be rescheduled?

Btw has anyone tried to disconnect their wifi if there they thought they were not doing well in the test ? And got the exam rescheduled.

(No way they would confess here)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
Send PM
Hello, I just took the GMAT online and had a network issue that paused my test, and logged me off. It happened during the verbal section, in which I scored 28 on the unofficial report?? which is really odd because I was confident of my answers and during mock tests, I scored (640, Q40, V38) on MGMAT, and (670, Q47, V35) on GMAT official. Is it possible that the technical issue changed my score? thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi kaloox,

Depending on how the At-home GMAT is coded, I suppose its possible that if your Exam was disconnected at a certain point, then it might not have property logged your answers after the Exam was reconnected. However, that's a difficult assumption to make, especially if all of the other functionalities of the Exam were properly working (re: the countdown timer, the 'confirm your answer' and 'submit' buttons, etc).

1) You have a GMAT Score listed in your profile that includes a V40; is that a result from a prior Official Exam?
2) At what point (re: what question number) were you working on during the Verbal section when your Exam disconnected?
3) Assuming that you would have scored in the high-V30s or a V40, you would have ended up with a Score that was fairly close to the one listed in your profile (re: 660). What is your overall Score Goal? I ask because if you're interested in scoring a lot higher than a 660, then you will almost certainly need to pick up those additional points in the Quant section.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22065 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
kaloox wrote:
Hello, I just took the GMAT online and had a network issue that paused my test, and logged me off. It happened during the verbal section, in which I scored 28 on the unofficial report?? which is really odd because I was confident of my answers and during mock tests, I scored (640, Q40, V38) on MGMAT, and (670, Q47, V35) on GMAT official. Is it possible that the technical issue changed my score? thanks

Given that you had technical issues, it's possible that those issues affected your score. That said, I would reach out to the folks at GMAC to see if they can provide some more information.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
kaloox wrote:

Hello, I just took the GMAT online today and I experienced a similar problem. I was doing the test when it suddenly crashed (during the Verbal section, first section of my test). That was not an internet problem since I could still communicate with my proctor. She reconnected me to the test and I could finish it. Nevertheless, my Verbal score was surprisingly low compared to my usual score.

Could this interruption have affected the calculation of my Verbal score ?
Can I ask for a recalculation ? What should I do please ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
jfa wrote:
kaloox wrote:

Hello, I just took the GMAT online today and I experienced a similar problem. I was doing the test when it suddenly crashed (during the Verbal section, first section of my test). That was not an internet problem since I could still communicate with my proctor. She reconnected me to the test and I could finish it. Nevertheless, my Verbal score was surprisingly low compared to my usual score.

Could this interruption have affected the calculation of my Verbal score ?
Can I ask for a recalculation ? What should I do please ?

If you lost a significant amount of exam time, you may be able to get a free rescheduling.
GMAT Club Bot