Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 18:00 It is currently 06 May 2024, 18:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Re: GSB R1 and R2: Lets the pants pooping commence! [#permalink]
...I really cannot concentrate on work. I'm wasting my time going through the old discussions on this forum. I am checking my mailbox every 10 minutes...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Yes, I am comparing our stats to the GSB averages. In 2005, I think the GPA average was 3.4, while the medium GMAT is 710.
Our collective GPA in R1 is 3.15 (excluding helg's GPA) with a 730 GMAT score. In this light, as a group we really are not that impressive an ensemble. Personally, I think the R1 stats seem rather mediocre (this includes my stats)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Lich,

I am having many negative thoughts as well. My family and friends keep trying to pump me up, but I can't help it. This waiting sucks. They have to let someone in!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The worst part is that heavy use of the waitlist means that this is just the start of the waiting for many folks......can you imagine this dragging out until June of July?
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
lhmcjen wrote:
.can you imagine this dragging out until June of July?

hell, no!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
lhmcjen wrote:
The worst part is that heavy use of the waitlist means that this is just the start of the waiting for many folks......can you imagine this dragging out until June of July?

I'd rather that than a ding, but it would be a nightmare to plan around - and waiting that long would absolutely drive me insane. Whats worse, if that happened, I couldn't really consider applying part time in all fairness.

I'm stressed out beyond belief right now. I'm a total wreck. I keep thinking back to my essays and my mediocre interview where I honestly think I may have botched things up.
VP
VP
 Q47  V44
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
lhmcjen wrote:

I'd rather that than a ding, but it would be a nightmare to plan around - and waiting that long would absolutely drive me insane. Whats worse, if that happened, I couldn't really consider applying part time in all fairness.

I'm stressed out beyond belief right now. I'm a total wreck. I keep thinking back to my essays and my mediocre interview where I honestly think I may have botched things up.

*patting Rhyme on the shoulder*

There, there, buddy... You are already in an Ivy League school, aren't you?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
helg wrote:
/me off for some toilet paper

/mode #gsb +ims
/kick helg "get some toiletpaper"
/invite helg #gsb
/msg helg just kidding
/mode #gsb -m
/topic "Aw gawd. LOLLERSKATES"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lhmcjen, I really didn't mean for my posts to be a downer. I was actually hoping that they might cheer some us. If anything, the fact that we all made it to the interviews despite our low GPA seems to confirm that adcoms put more weight on GMAT.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Lich wrote:
Yes, I am comparing our stats to the GSB averages. In 2005, I think the GPA average was 3.4, while the medium GMAT is 710.
Our collective GPA in R1 is 3.15 (excluding helg's GPA) with a 730 GMAT score. In this light, as a group we really are not that impressive an ensemble. Personally, I think the R1 stats seem rather mediocre (this includes my stats)

Mediocre compared to what? You are comparing the group against members of the last GSB class, not against the GSB applicant pool. Yes, the group's stats are probably slightly below those of admitted students, but they're pretty competitive and probably above the average GSB applicants. I would bet that that groups ends up with a higher admit rate than the overall GSB admit rate. I.e. better than 1 in 5.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
dukes wrote:
Lich wrote:

Mediocre compared to what? You are comparing the group against members of the last GSB class, not against the GSB applicant pool. Yes, the group's stats are probably slightly below those of admitted students, but they're pretty competitive and probably above the average GSB applicants. I would bet that that groups ends up with a higher admit rate than the overall GSB admit rate. I.e. better than 1 in 5.

We've beat the 1 in 5 odds already because everyone listed in that box was interviewed - and they interviewed roughly 50 to 60%. That is, statistically speaking, if there had been 16 applicants, they would have accepted about 3 to 4.

Roughly 8 would have been interviewed (of those 16), and roughly half that would be accepted.

In other words, out of the BLUE TEAM, we roughly can except 3 to 4 of us to be accepted - approx 40-50% at this point.

To do better than average we'd need to have 5 or more accepts from the BLUE TEAM.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
lhmcjen wrote:
Lich,

I am having many negative thoughts as well. My family and friends keep trying to pump me up, but I can't help it. This waiting sucks. They have to let someone in!

My fiance got angry with me last night because I said something about waiting for GSB and she said something and then I said "Well, yea if I get accepted." and she accused me of being "negative" and "always making it sound like I wont get in". I explained that I think I have a chance, but statistically speaking, the odds are not in my favour.

I think she's going a little insane listening to me bring up GSB every day. I'm staying away for the next two days!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
In past years I've been around people who were applying to b-school who would not shut up about it. Its annoying as hell. Thats why I come here to discuss b-school stuff and to spare my girlfriend, friends, and family. I only talk about it when asked.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dukes wrote:
Lich wrote:

Why would I care about comparing with the general GSB applicant pool??? I think I already posted this in another thread, but anyone regardless of stats can apply to any school. Yes I too can apply to Harvard with my 2.0 GPA and 500 GMAT score, but getting in is another matter. Also it is pointless to compare your stats to the GSB applicant pool because, we don't know what their stats are. No school publishes this info (and seriously why should they). Thus I can compare our stats to published numbers by GSB about the current class or to some random speculation over the numbers for the total GSB applicant pool. Honestly, which comparison do you think is going to be more useful? And you even admit that our stats are a bit below admitted students. Isn't R1 candidates suppose to be the best, the sharks, or people who have it together? If I were an adcom I'd be a bit perturbed over these numbers. Perhaps this partially explains why they moved up the decision date.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I had this same conversation last night with my wife! For me it is trying to not be completely let down by a ding.

rhyme wrote:
lhmcjen wrote:
Lich,

My fiance got angry with me last night because I said something about waiting for GSB and she said something and then I said "Well, yea if I get accepted." and she accused me of being "negative" and "always making it sound like I wont get in". I explained that I think I have a chance, but statistically speaking, the odds are not in my favour.

I think she's going a little insane listening to me bring up GSB every day. I'm staying away for the next two days!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
lhmcjen wrote:
I had this same conversation last night with my wife! For me it is trying to not be completely let down by a ding.

Right. What she views as negativity I view as a hearty dose of reality. Today is DRAGGING. I can't imagine what tomorrow will feel like.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think some calls are already being made. A guy by the moniker of Danny128 has already posted an admit on Admissions411 and BW forum. I don't think it's a joke entry. I just checked the guy's stats on admissions411. He has a 4.0 GPA and 730 GMAT. Now those are stellar stats. Incidentially, this same guy got dinged from Kellogg and Tuck.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts