Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:03 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1088 [44]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 580 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [3]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [3]
Given Kudos: 70
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: XLRI GM"18
GPA: 4
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
Re: In malaria-infested areas, many children tend to suffer several bouts [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
In malaria-infested areas, many children tend to suffer several bouts of malaria before becoming immune to the disease. Clearly, what must be happening is that those childrenтАЩs immune systems are only weakly stimulated by a any single exposure to the malarial parasite and need to be challenged several times to produce an effective immune response.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the explanatory hypothesis?

PRETHINKING........IT IS NOT THAT AFTER SEVERAL BOUTS OF SIMILAR MALARIA, DOES ONE BECOME IMMUNE..... INFACT ONE COULS BECOME IMMUNE TO A SINGLE BOUT ALSO... BUT THE IMMUNITY DEVELOPED IS OF NO USE IN ANOTHER STAIN......

MATCHES "E"... HENCE IMO "E".....

a.Immediately after a child has suffered a bout of malaria, the childтАЩs caregivers tend to go to great lengths in taking precautions to prevent another infection, but this level of attention is not sustained............... IRRELEVANT...............
b.Malaria is spread from person to person by mosquitoes, and mosquitoes have become increasingly resistant to the pesticides used to control them. ......IRRELEVANT.............
c. A certain gene, if inherited by children from only one of their parents, can render those children largely immune to infection with malaria...IRRELEVANT.....
d.Antimalaria vaccines, of which several are in development, are all designed to work by stimulating the bodyтАЩs immune system.....SO WHAT... WE ARE TALKING OF SELF BUILT IMMUNITY.....
e. There are several distinct strains of malaria, and the bodyтАЩs immune response to any one of them does not protect it against the others......CORRECT....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [3]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 560 Q47 V21
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: In malaria-infested areas, many children tend to suffer several bouts [#permalink]
Kudos
batliwala wrote:
In malaria-infested areas, many children tend to suffer several bouts of malaria before becoming immune to the disease. Clearly, what must be happening is that those childrenтАЩs immune systems are only weakly stimulated by a any single exposure to the malarial parasite and need to be challenged several times to produce an effective immune response.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the explanatory hypothesis?

a.Immediately after a child has suffered a bout of malaria, the childтАЩs caregivers tend to go to great lengths in taking precautions to prevent another infection, but this level of attention is not sustained.
b.Malaria is spread from person to person by mosquitoes, and mosquitoes have become increasingly resistant to the pesticides used to control them.
c.A certain gene, if inherited by children from only one of their parents, can render those children largely immune to infection with malaria.
d.Antimalaria vaccines, of which several are in development, are all designed to work by stimulating the bodyтАЩs immune system.
e. There are several distinct strains of malaria, and the bodyтАЩs immune response to any one of them does not protect it against the others.

ChiranjeevSingh

Choice C :- It tells that children are already immune to Malaria while argument talks about conditions post to infection. Am I positing right or there is another reasoning to knock down this option.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [2]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
AbhiGarg2007 wrote:
batliwala wrote:

a.Immediately after a child has suffered a bout of malaria, the childтАЩs caregivers tend to go to great lengths in taking precautions to prevent another infection, but this level of attention is not sustained.
b.Malaria is spread from person to person by mosquitoes, and mosquitoes have become increasingly resistant to the pesticides used to control them.
c.A certain gene, if inherited by children from only one of their parents, can render those children largely immune to infection with malaria.
d.Antimalaria vaccines, of which several are in development, are all designed to work by stimulating the bodyтАЩs immune system.
e. There are several distinct strains of malaria, and the bodyтАЩs immune response to any one of them does not protect it against the others.

ChiranjeevSingh

Choice C :- It tells that children are already immune to Malaria while argument talks about conditions post to infection. Am I positing right or there is another reasoning to knock down this option.

Yes. It says that some children can be already immune to malaria at their birth. However, the argument is concerned about "many" children who are not immune at birth.

- CJ
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
Send PM
Kudos
IMO is E

Reason being:
Since one strain of attack does not provide immunity against other type, it can
be noted that all the strains of malaria are experience and individual immunity is gained once for all.
So the body builds resistance against all the strains of malaria and is immune after exposure to few attacks.
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [0]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Between C & E

C. children without this gene need to continue this process to produce effective immune response.
so this choice partially weakens and strengthens. can be eliminate choice C

E. is the winner
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Anyone plz correct me if i am wrong with my reasoning
Single exposure-immune not developed
Multiple exposure-immune developed
To weaken it ,even multiple exposure will not develop it.
So there must be several strains which when exposed doesn't develop our immune system.
Here i am assuming that one strain exposed multiple times will develop the immune system.
Correct me if i am wrong.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [0]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
D4498 wrote:
Anyone plz correct me if i am wrong with my reasoning
Single exposure-immune not developed
Multiple exposure-immune developed
To weaken it ,even multiple exposure will not develop it.
So there must be several strains which when exposed doesn't develop our immune system.
Here i am assuming that one strain exposed multiple times will develop the immune system.
Correct me if i am wrong.

the key to question is :
In malaria-infested areas, many children tend to suffer several bouts of malaria before becoming immune to the disease. Clearly, what must be happening is that those childrenт's immune systems are only weakly stimulated by a any single exposure to the malarial parasite and need to be challenged several times to produce an effective immune response.

A. Immediately after a child has suffered a bout of malaria, the child's caregivers tend to go to great lengths in taking precautions to prevent another infection, but this level of attention is not sustained.

B. Malaria is spread from person to person by mosquitoes, and mosquitoes have become increasingly resistant to the pesticides used to control them.

C. A certain gene, if inherited by children from only one of their parents, can render those children largely immune to infection with malaria.

D. Antimalaria vaccines, of which several are in development, are all designed to work by stimulating the bodyт's immune system.

E. There are several distinct strains of malaria, and the bodyт's immune response to any one of them does not protect it against the others.

E explains that whatever explains in argument won't work if true as mentioned in E
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3516
Schools: Ross '24 (M)
Send PM
GMATNinja VeritasKarishma egmat MartyTargetTestPrep VeritasPrepBrian ChrisLele GMATGuruNY KyleWiddison CrackVerbalGMAT DmitryFarber VeritasPrepHailey
I have a problem with pre-thinking.
I don't know what I should keep in mind before going through each choice.
Could you please help elaborate on what I should pre-think or keep in my mind before looking at each choice?
Also, could you please provide explanations why either option C or D is not a correct answer?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
krittapat wrote:
I have a problem with pre-thinking.
I don't know what I should keep in mind before going through each choice.
Could you please help elaborate on what I should pre-think or keep in my mind before looking at each choice?
Also, could you please provide explanations why either option C or D is not a correct answer?

I have two words for you.

Don't prethink.

You can keep in mind the elements of the argument in the passage and any analysis of the argument you have done, but there is absolutely no reason to prethink answers.

For more on this topic, see this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F16VCFxF_t4
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
The argument says that immune systems are weakly stimulated and must be challenged multiple times to produce an effective immune response. What if the immune system is highly stimulated, but the malaria strain is different each time?
The scope of the argument is limited to finding any new information that'll weaken the hypothesis - that immune systems are weakly stimulated and must be challenged multiple times to produce an effective immune response.

Option Elimination -

A. Immediately after a child has suffered a bout of malaria, the child's caregivers tend to go to great lengths in taking precautions to prevent another infection, but this level of attention is not sustained. - precautions taken are out of scope.

B. Malaria is spread from person to person by mosquitoes, and mosquitoes have become increasingly resistant to the pesticides used to control them. - Doesn't even talk about Children, immune system - out of scope.

C. A certain gene, if inherited by children from only one of their parents, can render those children largely immune to infection with malaria. - We are talking about the children who don't have this gene. Out of scope.

D. Antimalaria vaccines, of which several are in development, are all designed to work by stimulating the body's immune system. - vaccines are out of scope.

E. There are several distinct strains of malaria, and the body's immune response to any one of them does not protect it against the others. In line with our rethinking
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
GMATNinja What is wrong with Choice (A) here? Could it not be that if the caregivers' level of attention is not sustained, then the children can become more susceptible to malaria because of inconsistencies with the level of care that they are receiving? I thought this would provide an alternative explanation for why it's not the stimulation of the immune system that is responsible for children experiencing several attacks before they become immune. Tough call between (A) and (E) for me, but would love a breakdown of Choice (A) to understand why it's wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I think option E is correct only if we assume that a person will get multiple exposure of same strain of malaria.

If in multiple exposure, the strains are different then the individual's immune is getting stronger against different malarial strains which actually supports the explanation : multiple exposure -> better immune response.

Let me know if this reasoning is correct.

GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63671 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
kkannan2 wrote:
GMATNinja What is wrong with Choice (A) here? Could it not be that if the caregivers' level of attention is not sustained, then the children can become more susceptible to malaria because of inconsistencies with the level of care that they are receiving? I thought this would provide an alternative explanation for why it's not the stimulation of the immune system that is responsible for children experiencing several attacks before they become immune. Tough call between (A) and (E) for me, but would love a breakdown of Choice (A) to understand why it's wrong.

­We're trying to explain why "many children tend to suffer SEVERAL bouts of malaria before becoming immune to the disease". Choice (A) might explain why some children are able to AVOID multiple bouts of malaria, but it doesn't explain why the children who DO suffer multiple bouts (regardless of care received) did not become immune after the first bout.

Choice (E) hits that nail on the head. If there are, say, five different strains, a child might suffer from all five before becoming completely immune to malaria.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts