Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

This is essentially a comparison question comparing simply countries with countries.

(A) as varied as - best
(B) as varied as are -- We are not comparing how countries vary from some of the cited countries are.
(C) as varied as those of -- wrong comparison between countries and those of some countries.
(D) that are as varied as --- the comparison seems to be between the variedness of countries
(E) that are varied as are-- The comparison is not even complete.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
ugimba wrote:
So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

(A) as varied as
(B) as varied as are
(C) as varied as those of
(D) that are as varied as
(E) that are varied as are

this is terribly hard grammatical situation. I have 2 weapons to attack this question.

from idiomatic perspective.
noun+as ajective as +noun
can be considered an idiom. this pattern is very special and it is good that we consider it an idiom. thinking it an idiom makes us remember the pattern easily and, so, is the most effective way of learning this pattern .

from meaning perspective.

in B and E, "are" appears in the second part of comparison while there is no form of "to be" in the first part. b and e are wrong.
in C, "those" has no logic referent. "those" , if, refer to "countries, it is not logic.

the only problem with D is D is wordy.

Hello thangvietnam,

I must say that your analysis is very thorough. So great job there. :thumbup:

However, I would say that usage of that is ambiguous in Choice D because it logically refers to both the environment and natural resource base and countries.

Hence, Choice a is a better answer choice.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 240
Schools: LBS SMU '19 (A)
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V33
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Hiii Experts,
I am not able to boil the meaning difference between the choices. Please help me with the poe
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30802 [2]
Given Kudos: 637
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rajatkataria14@gmail.com wrote:
Hiii Experts,
I am not able to boil the meaning difference between the choices. Please help me with the poe

Hello rajatkataria14@gmail.com,

I will be glad to help you out with this one. :-)

The sentence starts by explaining the green taxes.

Green taxes = These taxes exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels. These taxes are showing positive effect on two aspects of a country:

the environment and
natural base of many countries.

These countries are as different as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

Now let's do the Answer Choice Analysis:

Choice A: as varied as - Correct. This choice clearly presents the intended meaning.

Choice B: as varied as are - Incorrect. This choice seems to suggest that the countries where the green taxes are showing positive results are not China, the Netherlands, and Hungary. Those are different countries.

Choice C: as varied as those of - Incorrect. There is no antecedent for the pronoun those.

Choice D: that are as varied as - Incorrect. As already explained earlier in this thread, this choice leads to a slight meaning change. This choice seems to suggest that the countries where the green taxes are showing positive results are as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary. All these countries are equally varied.

Choice E: that are varied as are - Incorrect. This choice uses incomplete idiom.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Doesn't 'those of' in reply C refer to the environment and natural resource base?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5137 [0]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATPolvon wrote:
Doesn't 'those of' in reply C refer to the environment and natural resource base?

No.

Notice that, in (C), "those of" appears in "countries as varied as those of."

As a result, "those" illogically refers to "countries."
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varied = diverse

D: countries that are as varied as China, the Netherlands and Hungary [are varied]
The words in brackets are omitted but implied.
As a result, the sentence seems to compare ONE GROUP of countries (the countries in blue) to ANOTHER GROUP of countries (the countries in red).
The implication is that the two groups are equally diverse.
Not the intended meaning.
Eliminate D.

The intended meaning of the original sentence is that there is only ONE GROUP of countries and that this group is composed of countries that are VERY DIVERSE.
OA: countries as varied as China, the Netherlands and Hungary
Here, the conveyed meaning is that the countries in blue are DIVERSE and that China, the Netherlands and Hungary are EXAMPLES of this diversity.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 262
Send PM
GMATNinja - I picked A over D because it was less wordy but I don't understand why D is wrong. Is it because A says that the China vs. Hungary vs. Netherlands are varied vs. D which compares "countries" to "China, Netherlands and Hungary collectively"? Could you please explain? Thank you!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
UserMaple5 wrote:
GMATNinja - I picked A over D because it was less wordy but I don't understand why D is wrong. Is it because A says that the China vs. Hungary vs. Netherlands are varied vs. D which compares "countries" to "China, Netherlands and Hungary collectively"? Could you please explain? Thank you!

Hello UserMaple5,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, in this question, the primary benefit that A has over D is, in fact, conciseness.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
UserMaple5 wrote:

(D) seems to suggest that each individual country is, by itself, varied.

When we say, "countries that are as tiny as Monaco and Liechtenstein," we're implying that (1) Monaco and Liechtenstein are each tiny and that (2) the other countries being discussed are each just as tiny as those two.

By the same token, when we say, "countries that are as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary," we seem to imply that (1) China, the Netherlands, and Hungary are each varied and that (2) the other countries being discussed are each just as varied as those three.

But that's not quite right. We want to imply that those three countries are dissimilar -- that variations exist when we compare China, the Netherlands, and Hungary. Since (D) seems to suggest a different, less logical meaning, (A) is the better choice.

Remember, the goal is not to identify what makes each incorrect option WRONG in a bubble. Rather, your goal is to compare the five available options and pick the best one. Compared to (A), (D) is wordier and less clear. And since (D) doesn't have any apparent advantages over (A), there's no reason to pick (D) over (A), even if (D) doesn't have any concrete errors.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Hi experts,

I am hoping someone can explain why D is wrong. I understand that A is stating that China, the Netherlands, and Hungary are having positive effects from green taxes.

The only explanation I could think of for why D is wrong is that "that are" could reach back through the prepositional phrase to create an illogical meaning. Therefore, we could either have countries that are as varied as China etc or environment and natural resource base that are as varied as China etc. Any feedback?

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ryanfox02 wrote:
Hi experts,

I am hoping someone can explain why D is wrong. I understand that A is stating that China, the Netherlands, and Hungary are having positive effects from green taxes.

The only explanation I could think of for why D is wrong is that "that are" could reach back through the prepositional phrase to create an illogical meaning. Therefore, we could either have countries that are as varied as China etc or environment and natural resource base that are as varied as China etc. Any feedback?

Thanks in advance!

Did you see this post? Let us know if that doesn't clear things up!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 704
Send PM
ugimba wrote:

Because we are using China, the Netherlands, and Hungary to present them as examples, okay to use "countries [as varied as] Country X, Y, and Z." (A) does that.

(D) changes the meaning by saying a group of countries are varied, as are China, Netherlands, and Hungary. So green taxes are no longer applied to these 3 countries, but a group of unknown countries that are as varied as the aforementioned countries. Makes less sense than (A).

(A) as varied as
(B) as varied as are
(C) as varied as those of
(D) that are as varied as
(E) that are varied as are
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
svasan05

Will this be a siliar meaning, gramatically correct sentence for the refernce stimulus :-

So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as that of China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
Send PM
Expert Reply
PRamesh2008 wrote:
svasan05

Will this be a siliar meaning, gramatically correct sentence for the refernce stimulus :-

So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or nonrenewable fuels, are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries as varied as that of China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.

Hello PRamesh2008,

To answer your query, this sentence is not correct because there is no clear and logical referent for the pronoun "that".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
So called green taxes, which exact a price for the use of polluting or [#permalink]
Hi team, I'm not clear why option A is correct.

Firstly, should comparison as..as be used only to compare two things? I'm not a native speaker so if some different usage is possibile with that construction I'm not aware.

Secondly, I understand that the correct meaning should be the one that choice A is trying to convey, but a bit of ambiguity persist in choice A in my opinion.

countries as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
From here, we can infer two different meaning:
- Intended meaning: varied countries such as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
- Alternative meaning: as varied as [are] China, the Netherlands, and Hungary (since it is possible to omit the verb in some cases.

Someone could clarify my doubts?

Regards.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gio96 wrote:
Hi team, I'm not clear why option A is correct.

Firstly, should comparison as..as be used only to compare two things? I'm not a native speaker so if some different usage is possibile with that construction I'm not aware.

Secondly, I understand that the correct meaning should be the one that choice A is trying to convey, but a bit of ambiguity persist in choice A in my opinion.

countries as varied as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
From here, we can infer two different meaning:
- Intended meaning: varied countries such as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary.
- Alternative meaning: as varied as [are] China, the Netherlands, and Hungary (since it is possible to omit the verb in some cases.

Someone could clarify my doubts?

Regards.

Hello Gio96,

To answer your query, the alternate meaning you have described is actually the intended meaning.

"China, the Netherlands, and Hungary" are not examples; the intended meaning is that the green taxes are having a positive effect on the environment and natural resource base of countries that vary from each other as much as China, the Netherlands, and Hungary vary from one another.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts