Last visit was: 11 May 2024, 02:38 It is currently 11 May 2024, 02:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33540 [1]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [2]
Given Kudos: 297
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 610 Q47 V27
GPA: 3.42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Biotechnology can be broadly defined as using living organisms or the [#permalink]
someone please explain question-4
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33540 [0]
Given Kudos: 5787
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Re: Biotechnology can be broadly defined as using living organisms or the [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Nimishaj wrote:
someone please explain question-4

Official Explanation

4. The relationship between transgenic plants and biotechnology is most like the relationship between:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Transgenic plants are both a product of and an example of biotechnology just as opiate abuse could be the product of addiction and an example of a specific addiction. None of the other relationships between the things listed share the same kind of relationship.

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Sajjad1994 wrote:
Biotechnology can be broadly defined as “using living organisms or their products for commercial purposes.” As such, biotechnology has been practiced since the beginning of recorded history in such activities as baking bread, brewing alcoholic beverages, or breeding food crops or domestic animals.

A narrower and more specific definition of biotechnology is “the commercial application of living organisms or their products, which involves the deliberate manipulation of their DNA molecules.” This definition implies a set of laboratory techniques developed within the last 20 years that have been responsible for the tremendous scientific and commercial interest in biotechnology, the founding of many new companies, and the redirection of research efforts and financial resources among established companies and universities.

Combining DNA from different existing organisms (plants, animals, insects, bacteria, etc.) results in modified organisms with a combination of traits from the parents. The sharing of DNA information takes place naturally through sexual reproduction and has been exploited in plant and animal breeding programs for many years.

However, sexual reproduction can occur only between plants and animals of the same species. A Holstein cow can be mated with a Hereford bull because the two animals are different breeds of the same species, cattle. But trying to mate a cow with a horse, a different species of animal, would not be successful.

What’s new since 1972 is that scientists have been able to identify the specific DNA genes for many desirable traits and transfer only those genes, usually carried on a plasmid or virus, into another organism. This provides a method to transfer DNA between any living cells (plant, animal, insect, bacterial, etc.). Virtually any desirable trait found in nature can, in principle, be transferred into any chosen organism. An organism modified by genetic engineering is called transgenic.

Specific applications of genetic engineering are abundant and increasing rapidly in number. Genetic engineering is being used in the production of pharmaceuticals, gene therapy, and the development of transgenic plants and animals.

1. Which of the following best describes the tone of the passage?

a. ambivalent
b. critical
c. defensive
d. enthusiastic
e. objective

2. Based on what’s been said thus far, what is the next paragraph most likely to discuss?

a. the effects of what would happen if a cow and horse were mated
b. the specific examples of biotechnology and its benefits to science
c. what happened in 1972 and which scientists were involved
d. who opposes the use of biotechnology
e. how the production of beer is not so different from the production of pharmaceuticals

3. The outcome of the mating of a Holstein cow and a Hereford bull would be called:

a. an abomination
b. transgenic
c. improbable
d. manipulation
e. transference

4. The relationship between transgenic plants and biotechnology is most like the relationship between:

a. a graham cracker crust and apple pie
b. hardwood floors and a shag carpet
c. an airline pilot and a jet plane
d. opiate abuse and addiction
e. sheet music and a grand piano

5. According to the passage, all the following are products of biotechnology EXCEPT:

a. new lines of pharmaceuticals
b. the breeding of transgenic animals
c. the production of alcoholic beverages
d. the development of viral warfare
e. the transferring of DNA between different organisms

6. Which of the following best summarizes the main idea of the passage?

a. The sweeping changes in the use of biotechnology since 1972 have redefined its necessity to mankind.
b. Although still in its fledgling stages, biotechnology shows promise to help benefit our society one day.
c. As the science of biotechnology continues to broaden and strengthen, the fruits of its applications become more powerful and abundant.
d. The swapping of DNA could sometimes yield beneficial results, but on the whole is too risky to undertake.
e. The development of transgenic plants is paramount to the development of better pharmaceuticals.

RC Butler 2022 - Practice Two RC Passages Everyday.
Passage # 255 Date: 27-Jun-2022
This question is a part of RC Butler 2022. Click here for Details

I have difficulty inferring Q3. The outcome of the mating of a Holstein cow and a Hereford bull would be called:

I was expecting an answer synonymous to natural reproduction and answer option D: transference seemed to be the one.

Thinking back though, this question does seem to ask the "term" used in the passage, and we have none except "Transgenic," so even if we can't infer "Transgenic," that is our answer by PoE.

Anyone, who got the answer correct, how did you choose the correct answer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Leadership, Organizational Behavior
Send PM
How do we define the tone of the passage as enthusiastic? Ref ques no 2.
I marked option E

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
shreyrsinghal wrote:
How do we define the tone of the passage as enthusiastic? Ref ques no 2.
I marked option E

Posted from my mobile device

This quote from the last paragraph was my deciding clue: "Specific applications of genetic engineering are abundant and increasing rapidly in number."
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 850 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14016 posts