Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 09:40 It is currently 08 May 2024, 09:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
naturallight wrote:
wow, UCLA fell.

If this poll is real, then this fall is the largest fall in the history of US News Ranking... The previous biggest drop over the last decade is 4 spot when duke dropped from 7 in 2004 to 11 in 2005.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
jchen1731 wrote:
naturallight wrote:
wow, UCLA fell.

If this poll is real, then this fall is the largest fall in the history of US News Ranking... The previous biggest drop over the last decade is 4 spot when duke dropped from 7 in 2004 to 11 in 2005.

Are you referring to just top 15-20 schools? Because I know there have been larger falls in the past few years if we are including all schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Great!

I went to Dallas few months back, and loved the weather and the fast high ways !!

cheers

Fast highways are a plus! I cannot wait!

Fast highways? Houston? If your suggesting low traffic - mmm... I don't think so!
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
yb wrote:
squali83 wrote:
Ozmba2006 wrote:
Great!

I went to Dallas few months back, and loved the weather and the fast high ways !!

cheers

Fast highways are a plus! I cannot wait!

Fast highways? Houston? If your suggesting low traffic - mmm... I don't think so!

Obviously the statement was directed to the outskirts of the city. Houston's traffic is horrendous, although I am coming from DC so it will be a relief to me!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
jchen1731 wrote:
naturallight wrote:
wow, UCLA fell.

Are you referring to just top 15-20 schools? Because I know there have been larger falls in the past few years if we are including all schools.

Yeah just top 20 schools... i forgot to mention that... honest mistake...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
I don't understand why US News props up mid-tier public schools so much. They certainly aren't bad schools, but I don't think the recruiting companies and placement stats of OSU or Minnesota are indicative of top 25 caliber schools. Funny methodology, IMO.

No offence ment to you eazyb but I'm not sure you know enough of OSU to comment on its placements stats. for your info, please've a look at this link

https://fishermba.osu.edu/career/career_employment_stat.php

I agree that it does not have a very high reputation as some of the top tiers but its still a great bet in the midwest . Besides, the ranking also considers ROI and Fisher gives a very good ROI for its MBA program. The operations/SCM concentraion in the MBA program @ Fisher is widely reputed and ranks amongst the Top 10. Overall, Fisher does have the potential to be a Top-25 program. I guess with the frenzy for the top 10 in this club, it sure is difficult for many people to know about the other 'good' programs. Just takes an open mind and some research to find about them.

Disclaimer : I am a Fisher admit for the class of 2009.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
mbadart07 wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:
I don't understand why US News props up mid-tier public schools so much. They certainly aren't bad schools, but I don't think the recruiting companies and placement stats of OSU or Minnesota are indicative of top 25 caliber schools. Funny methodology, IMO.

No offence ment to you eazyb but I'm not sure you know enough of OSU to comment on its placements stats. for your info, please've a look at this link

https://fishermba.osu.edu/career/career_employment_stat.php

I agree that it does not have a very high reputation as some of the top tiers but its still a great bet in the midwest . Besides, the ranking also considers ROI and Fisher gives a very good ROI for its MBA program. The operations/SCM concentraion in the MBA program @ Fisher is widely reputed and ranks amongst the Top 10. Overall, Fisher does have the potential to be a Top-25 program. I guess with the frenzy for the top 10 in this club, it sure is difficult for many people to know about the other 'good' programs. Just takes an open mind and some research to find about them.

Disclaimer : I am a Fisher admit for the class of 2009.

Hey man, don't get me wrong, i'm not saying OSU is a bad program - far from it. However, I think the top 25-30 should be reserved for more national programs that carry a more prestigious brand name, and at this time I don't feel OSU has that.

Personally, I think Hjort's cluster ranking system is about as close to perfect as you can get. OSU is a very solid Near Elite Frontier program that has strong regional ties in the midwest.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm.. that way all the regional schools have to get a separate ranking, something in the format the WSJ follows. But,i suppose if there is one way to compare the national and regional programs, its only from this US news or BW ranking. Anyways, ultimately what matter is what 'we' do in the program. :-D
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here are the rest of them....now I am starting to think I should have chose Vandy :?

29. Michigan State
Texas A&M
U of Washington
Wisconsin
Washington U in SL

34. Penn State
Vanderbilt
36. Rochester
37. Florida
UIUC
39. Boston C
Notre Dame

41. ASU
Babson
Boston U
BYU
45. Tulane
46. UC-Davis
U of Georgia
48. Rice
49. Wake Forest
50. U of Iowa
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
Here are the rest of them....now I am starting to think I should have chose Vandy :?

29. Michigan State
Texas A&M
U of Washington
Wisconsin
Washington U in SL

34. Penn State
Vanderbilt
36. Rochester
37. Florida
UIUC
39. Boston C
Notre Dame

41. ASU
Babson
Boston U
BYU
45. Tulane
46. UC-Davis
U of Georgia
48. Rice
49. Wake Forest
50. U of Iowa

Please man, don't question yourself based on this arbitrary ranking. Last year Vandy was 49th....are you really going to tell me they improved that much this year, or they were that bad the previous year?

The rankings are fun to talk about, but that's about it. Use placement stats, recruiting companies, and discussions with current and former students to help make your decision. Rice and Vandy are both great schools, especially in finance, and this ranking or the next ranking won't change that.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

29. Michigan State
Texas A&M
U of Washington
Wisconsin
Washington U in SL

34. Penn State
Vanderbilt
36. Rochester
37. Florida
UIUC
39. Boston C
Notre Dame

41. ASU
Babson
Boston U
BYU
45. Tulane
46. UC-Davis
U of Georgia
48. Rice
49. Wake Forest
50. U of Iowa

Please man, don't question yourself based on this arbitrary ranking. Last year Vandy was 49th....are you really going to tell me they improved that much this year, or they were that bad the previous year?

The rankings are fun to talk about, but that's about it. Use placement stats, recruiting companies, and discussions with current and former students to help make your decision. Rice and Vandy are both great schools, especially in finance, and this ranking or the next ranking won't change that.

I know, it just sucks to see the program drop that you chose and the other one rise 16 spots! Oh well, I have already ordered way too much Rice Sh!T (t-shirts, hats , sweat shirts...etc) to not go there....but eazy that has to be nice for you to see cause you are most likely going to Vandy right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
I know, it just sucks to see the program drop that you chose and the other one rise 16 spots! Oh well, I have already ordered way too much Rice Sh!T (t-shirts, hats , sweat shirts...etc) to not go there....but eazy that has to be nice for you to see cause you are most likely going to Vandy right?

Yeah i'm about 80% sure i'm going to Vandy - I still have a decision pending with Carnegie Mellon and will be interviewing with them in about two weeks, but it's a toss-up on whether I get admitted. Even if I do, i'm not sure I would go to Tepper, since I felt a great "fit" when I visited Vandy and met current and prospective students.
Current Student
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

Yeah i'm about 80% sure i'm going to Vandy - I still have a decision pending with Carnegie Mellon and will be interviewing with them in about two weeks, but it's a toss-up on whether I get admitted. Even if I do, i'm not sure I would go to Tepper, since I felt a great "fit" when I visited Vandy and met current and prospective students.

Yeah I liked Vandy too, but I also like Rice a lot....so I went with $$. Well good luck with Tepper, it would be nice just to get an admit from them even if you decided not to attend.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
eazyb81 wrote:
squali83 wrote:

Cool..I'm actually waiting on a decision from Vandy as we speak. I'm in at Georgia Tech, and leaning towards going there, but if I get in to Vandy..i might be swayed by the better brand name..

When I visited Vandy, I was really impressed w/ the program..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
good to see USC marshall climbing back up to where it used to be years ago.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Anyone know what UIUC is? I would assume it would be UC Irvine as they were 38th last year in the rankings.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
USNews rankings are Bullsh*t. Don't use these rankings to dictate where you will attend.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6