Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 03:07 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 03:07
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Duke Fuqua MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Embracing Diversity and Supporting the Latinx Community at Fuqua
As a first-generation Latina and the child of immigrants born and raised in Miami, Florida, I grew up exposed to a rich culture of people from South America. It wasn’t until I left Miami for college that I realized the uniqueness and value of my upbringing. The range of perspectives we gain from being exposed to people from different backgrounds while also celebrating our culture is something I have grown to appreciate in all aspects of life—Fuqua was no exception.

Fuqua’s Rich Diversity

When I reflect on my first year at Fuqua, I am thankful for the ways in which our cohort and sections are carefully crafted to include diverse perspectives. At Fuqua, you are grouped into a section of 60 to 70 students, with whom you take all core classes together (shout out to my table bangers!). My classmates are from India, Bangladesh, Italy, Nigeria, Ghana, Japan, Colombia, and more. They’ve worked in accounting, the auto industry, marketing, consulting, and at non-profits. There are many other ways my section is diverse, and I am thankful for how this has enriched classroom conversation and helped me think about the world.

Reconnecting with My Community

While Fuqua offers a wealth of diversity, it has also given me a space to reconnect and support my Latinx peers. Business school is challenging in many ways—you take academically rigorous classes, are involved in clubs (everything at Fuqua is student-led), and start recruiting for summer internships soon after summer term ends. This was stressful, but along the way, I was blessed to find support and friendship in a group of strong and talented Latinx MBAs at Fuqua. They resonated with the specific obstacles and fears I faced as a first-generation student from a low-income background navigating grad school. But most importantly, they cheered me on along the way.

Supporting My Peers

The support I received from the Latinx community and the Fuqua community at large, is what Team Fuqua is all about. I strongly believe Fuqua attracts a certain of type of individual: one who is always ready and eager to give back. As I prepare to begin my second year, I am excited to be a resource for my peers as co-president of the American Latinx Management Association (ALMA), along with my dear friend Ashley Pech.

ALMA is a student-run club on a mission to build a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative space to promote fellowship and professional development for the underrepresented Latinx minority while celebrating American Latinx culture. We not only support current students, but we also work to help prospective students through coffee chats, resume reviews, and more.

My first year at Fuqua was a fun, challenging, and rewarding experience. I can’t wait for the new friendships I will form, the diverse perspectives I will learn from, and the community I will continue to build in my second year.

The post Embracing Diversity and Supporting the Latinx Community at Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Team Fuqua Carried Me to an Ironman Finish
Take 10 seconds and think about your deepest fears. Now, what if I told you I’d provide ~450 of the most supportive, intelligent, and resourceful individuals to help you face one of those fears. Would you do it? For me, it was a no-brainer. Even though I was deeply afraid of swimming, especially in open water, I was going to attempt an Ironman distance triathlon with only 10 months to train.

For those that are fortunate enough to not know what an Ironman is, let me briefly explain. It’s a 2.4-mile open-water swim, 112.6-mile bike ride, and a 26.2-mile run—all completed back-to-back and within a 17-hour cutoff. It’s the king of endurance sports events, and I wanted to conquer it, mainly because I never thought I could. If I could do this, I thought there was no stopping what I could do—personally or professionally. Thanks to classmate Aaron Hager, who was after the same goal and had already signed up for Ironman Mont-Tremblant, I knew it would be much easier not facing it alone. 

Me (left) with Aaron at a triathlon event

I took away hundreds of lessons in pursuit of this goal, but here are my top three.

1. Never forget the power of team.

Team Fuqua is much more than a saying, and nothing made this clearer than during triathlon training. I had classmates who were my “coaches.” People like Ali, Sloane, Aaron, Mateo, Grant, Brandon, and Joey spent weeks with me at the beginning of training to help get my fundamentals down and confidence up. I had training partners like Lydia, Giacomo, Nikko, Max, and Danielle who spent 50+ hours with me to train, including the weekend we all went did an Olympic distance triathlon together.

My training partners and I completed an Olympic distance triathlon in Pinehurst, North Carolina

On top of that, I also had hundreds of supporters who constantly asked me how training was going and if they could do anything to help. I have so much to be grateful for from my two years at Fuqua, but one of the biggest was being surrounded by amazing people who made me better every day. My two years at Fuqua confirmed that if you can find people to push you, you will be set up to tackle any goal imaginable.

2. Mix pain with pleasure.

In pursuing any big goal, you’ll likely get to a point where you want to throw in the towel. The ‘newness’ factor has gone away, opportunity costs are rising, and you are starting to question why you’re even pursuing this goal. This happened to me in early June—with about 12 weeks left in training—when my body was starting to shut down. I had injuries in my shoulder, groin, and both knees. My body was asking me to stop, and my mind was starting to ask a similar question. 

Instead of giving up, I leaned into what gave me pleasure: relationships and communication with friends. I asked others to join me for rides (special shoutout to Enrique who crossed state lines with me and biked 75 miles in Wisconsin), and I called friends while I ran to check in on their post-Fuqua experiences. This forced me to keep my heart rate down and not push the pace while my body healed. Whether my former classmates knew it or not, they were getting me through the toughest weeks of training. I’ve always realized that conversations with friends and family are my outlets when things get tough or go wrong. Lesson learned: make sure you identify joyful outlets so you can rely on them when challenges come your way. 

3. Don’t forget to say thank you.

The Ironman Mount Tremblant race director once said, “No one gets to the finish line on their own.” For me, this was especially true, and this blog is a thank you more than anything else. It is a reminder of the power of amazing people that were there for me in good times and bad. The people that noticed me when I was struggling and checked in. The people that went the extra mile for me (literally) when no one was looking, solely to help me accomplish my goal. While many people contributed to making my Ironman journey possible, the Fuqua community holds a special place in my heart. Team Fuqua made me much more than an MBA—it made me an Ironman with the belief that anything is possible.

Me after finishing Ironman Mont-Tremblant in August 2023
The post Team Fuqua Carried Me to an Ironman Finish appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Learning Outside the Classroom and Outside the U.S.
As a recent graduate of Fuqua’s Class of 2023, I have had ample time to reflect on the experiences that made my years at Duke truly special. Whilst the people of Fuqua drive the main highlights I would often mention, it’s the experiential learning opportunities that spark the stories of development outside the classroom. I cannot rave enough about the different ways to gain experience at Fuqua that are non-traditional and highly rewarding.

A Trip Over the Pond

Underlined by the direct flight from Raleigh to London, a partnership between Fuqua’s International Programs Office and London Business School (LBS) allowed me the opportunity to live in London for three months and engross myself in the LBS community. The teaching style of faculty at an internationally located school contrasted in many ways with what I was familiar with at Fuqua and by participating in classes that also had executive MBAs, I gained exposure to senior global perspective I otherwise would not have seen.

From an educational standpoint, the optionality of taking block week classes (an all-day, week-long class) allowed for a higher level of interaction with the exchange community, second-year students, and executive MBAs. The sense of community and closeness fostered in these interactions allowed for more honest conversations around tough topics like discussing the influence of sovereign nations in 2022. Whilst the academic platform at LBS is rewarding, it’s everything else about the school that made being an exchange student so incredibly gratifying. This brings me to the best part of my time at LBS—the international travel with 60 other students from the Class of 2023! In November 2022, I joined the LBS second-year MBA Trek to Namibia and South Africa. It was an amazing experience that started with us hiking “Big Daddy” in the Sossusvlei and ended with us at Stellenbosch for a wine tour in Cape Town.

Four MBAs and a Private Jet

It would be nice to suggest that this segment ends with me discussing my experience on a private jet, and although that is not the case, it still was quite an amazing experience to learn more about the business of them! Through a program called the Fuqua Client Consulting Practicum (FCCP), I joined three other classmates at Fuqua to partner with the fourth-largest private jet company in the United States. Based out of nearby Kinston, North Carolina, it was interesting to work with a “small” team committed to growth in such a niche segment! I remember the excitement as we got started with a market analysis project for their executive team. Although we could not physically make it to the site of the client, we made sure to get together on Zoom on a regular basis and had a direct line of contact with their team.

It was interesting to understand the company’s short and long-term goals and to have real conversations with their chief operating officer about how we could provide meaningful insight to the team. Opportunities like this allowed me to vet my desire to work in certain industries and within certain topical areas whilst continuing to develop skills that I wanted to improve.

Mentored by Those Forging New Directions

Mentored Study is a great way for you to get exposure to something new, whilst also being a resource to a team in exchange for knowledge transfer. You’re usually partnering with a smaller team that is concentrated on a specific engagement or project. For me, this manifested itself by way of an introduction to two co-founders of a startup named CyberAlliance. CyberAlliance is a cybersecurity startup with a wide remit of providing transparency and security to global markets. Founded by Fuqua alum Kendrall Felder and North Carolina native Larry Yon, it was great to be integrated into their team to learn their roadmap to building their business. Both Kendrall and Larry have experience at larger tech organizations and were able to share with me how they started their new endeavor and the lessons learned along the way. It was also great to get firsthand perspectives of the parallels in building their business and their corporate careers. Ben Thomason, who facilitates the program, was critical in connecting me with opportunities that fit what I was looking for.

A GATEway to Europe

Finally, GATE, or Global Academic Travel Experience, is a great way to experience another country with your classmates in a structured fashion. The course is faculty-led and run by the International Programs Office. About 20 of my classmates and I traveled to three cities in Germany—Frankfurt, Cologne, and Berlin—over a 10-day period. There, we met with Deloitte Germany to discuss the evolution of diversity’s impact on business in the country. We also met with a startup incubator to understand how they drive startup success within the major technology hubs in the country and companies across many other industries.

In closing, I would highly recommend looking into experiential learning opportunities at Fuqua once you get your feet underneath you from an academic and recruiting perspective. There are numerous opportunities available for you to take advantage of and whilst some are blatantly obvious, others may take a bit more effort to understand the opportunity and more importantly, what you want out of it.

The post Learning Outside the Classroom and Outside the U.S. appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: MQM to Accelerated MBA: Why I Returned to Fuqua
Four years ago, I stepped onto the Duke University campus for the first time to embark on the MQM program. Little did I know this would begin one of the most profoundly transformative journeys of my life, influencing both my personal growth and professional development. From serving as the strategy track chair to participating in various data competitions and school events, I was exposed to a wide breadth of leadership experiences and learning opportunities on top of the existing curriculum offered by world-class faculty. As an international student in the U.S., the MQM degree helped me broaden my horizons, hone my technical skills, and grow as a leader in the field of analytics.

Leveraging My Analytics Skills in the Workplace

Graduating in early 2020, right as the pandemic took hold, posed considerable challenges in navigating a tough job market. However, with the help of career coaches and faculty, I landed a role with my dream employer, Amazon. I assumed the responsibilities of an in-stock manager at Amazon Fresh, where I oversaw and managed inventory for 300+ fresh vegetables across the U.S. at scale using analytical methods I learned during my time at the MQM program. This was especially crucial given how severely COVID-19 had disrupted supply chain processes worldwide for essential commodities such as groceries. Formulating creative and sound data-driven strategies to predict future demand was crucial to the success of Amazon Fresh as it ensured customers received the correct groceries at the right time, no matter where they were in the United States.

After completing two years at Amazon Fresh, I continued to pursue my passion for technology and data analytics by joining the trust and safety team at Meta. Here, I had the opportunity to work on cutting-edge machine learning models used for global content moderation on Facebook and Instagram platforms. Given how deeply Meta values collaboration and ‘XFN,’ or cross-functional team culture, I seamlessly integrated into their work environment, drawing upon my prior experiences of the Team Fuqua culture, which centers on collaboration and teamwork in diverse team settings. I was well-equipped to collaborate with a high-caliber team of engineers, product managers, and research scientists to deliver impactful outcomes.

Reflecting on the MQM experience, the program provided me with a springboard into the tech industry in the U.S. As an international employee, I had unique opportunities to collaborate on high-impact projects with top-tier talent at both Amazon and Meta. This experience greatly contributed to my professional growth and leadership capabilities.

Pursuing My MBA

Even though I had a great time working and living in Seattle, I resigned from my position at Meta this summer to return to Fuqua for the one-year Accelerated Daytime MBA program. My decision was motivated by a combination of factors: a continued passion for self-development in a more formal and structured learning environment, unique opportunities to grow as a leader in a highly diverse and close-knit community here at Fuqua, and aspiration to transition from an individual contributor to a leadership role, furthering my ability to make a positive impact in the tech industry.

Having just finished the summer term of the MBA program, it is evident to me that returning to Fuqua feels like coming back to a second home—a place where I am known, valued, and supported. The emphasis on Team Fuqua nurtures an environment where students and faculty genuinely care about each other’s success. This sense of belonging not only enhances the learning experience but also encourages personal growth and development.

I am even more convinced of the effectiveness of this approach and its substantial impact on global and diverse team dynamics after working at global companies with significant presence in various regions, both inside and outside the U.S. As I continue to develop as a leader, I remain deeply committed to the power of diverse teams and leveraging individuals’ strengths, a core principle at the heart of Team Fuqua.

As I embark on this new phase of my academic and professional journey, I am confident that Fuqua will provide me with the necessary learning opportunities, enriching experiences, and a supportive alumni network to create a meaningful and positive impact in the business world.

The post MQM to Accelerated MBA: Why I Returned to Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: How My Classmates Empowered Me To Be a Leader
Six years ago, I was sitting in an undergraduate business class when my professor asked us to raise our hands if we aspired to be a leader in our future work organization. I looked around the room to see that I was the only person without their hand raised. At the time, I was in disbelief to see that I was the only person who didn’t see myself as a future business leader.

Now, one year into the Daytime MBA program at Fuqua, I look back on that moment as evidence of the growth I have experienced so far. During that growth period, my peers—some of the most accomplished, humble, and supportive people that I am fortunate to have in my life—served as my biggest support system. While I credit the institution for providing numerous leadership opportunities, my classmates are the ones who have encouraged me to pursue those opportunities. They saw something in me that I had not yet fully seen in myself, a leader.

Support and Mentorship

When I started applying for second-year leadership positions, I was beyond excited to give back to the community that supported me throughout my first year. However, the imposter syndrome kicked in, and that girl who didn’t raise her hand in business class was back. I knew how incredible my peers were and thought there must be someone better suited for these leadership positions. Yet, these were the same people who empowered me to be a leader in the Fuqua community.

Section 3 holiday party, December 2022

I remember sitting down with my second-year leadership mentor, a fellow with the Fuqua/Coach K Center on Leadership & Ethics (COLE), and expressing concern about potentially not getting selected for the leadership positions I was passionate about. She not only empowered me to become a COLE Fellow myself, but she reminded me of key moments where I demonstrated the characteristics of a strong leader throughout my first year. For the first time, I saw someone else’s perception of me and felt the confidence that others had in my leadership abilities. Shortly after, I submitted my application to become a COLE Fellow and today I am a proud member of the COLE team.

Gaining Confidence from Classmates

My next leadership opportunity came in an email that I was not expecting. My peers nominated me for the presidency of Fuqua Fit, our fitness club. Being that I was not a member of the club, I was surprised and honored that my classmates had confidence in my ability to lead a club—something I had not done before. Ten minutes after my interview for the position, I officially became one of the co-presidents of Fuqua Fit.

I (bottom, middle) completed with Fuqua’s co-ed volleyball team in the Blue Cup against UNC (and we won!), April 2023

For each of these larger examples where my peers supported me in my leadership journey, there are a dozen smaller moments where they have helped me to see myself in a new light. Whether it was hearing for the first time that someone saw me as a future CEO or a classmate encouraging me to apply for a leadership position they thought I would excel in, my peers have shaped my perception of myself.

With the number of opportunities at Fuqua, it is common for students to serve as a leader of the community in some way. However, it is another thing entirely to see yourself as one. I often think about if I could go back to that moment in my undergraduate business class as the version of myself that I am today. If I could, there would be no question that my hand would be raised—in fact, I can’t imagine not being a leader in my future organization. I have come to believe that I am a strong, intelligent, and capable leader with the power to make a difference in the business world, and as a result, my aspirations have soared to new levels.

Some friends and I (second from the right) attending the Duke vs. Northwestern football game, September 2023

It is often said that the people make the place, and I cannot think of a more accurate statement for Fuqua. The people at Fuqua have not only made me a better person, but they have helped me to build a new sense of confidence in myself and have empowered me in ways I never saw coming. For that, I am forever grateful.

The post How My Classmates Empowered Me To Be a Leader appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Leveraging Leadership to Build Community
A great leader helps us discover what we are truly made of and gives us the confidence to take bold action. Great leadership means to continuously put your team in a position where they can utilize our individual gifts in the most authentic, exciting, and fulfilling ways possible.

When I entered Fuqua as a first-year student, I felt insecure, incapable, and afraid—like I didn’t belong. My dear friend Andrew Fischer helped me find my voice. He reached out to me, and I vented to him my fears and insecurities. He simply told me that we do not have to be perfect, we just have to be willing.

With an offer to join the MBA Association’s (MBAA) Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion sub-cabinet, my Fuqua experience took a complete turn. I made a commitment to myself to be the type of classmate, peer, and leader I wanted to be for the rest of my time at Fuqua and beyond.

To become a leader capable of helping others achieve their high aspirations, I knew I would have to show up, engage, and interact. I wanted to leverage what I learned and discovered from the people who inspired me to achieve greatness by serving as MBAA co-president.

Developing as a Leader

My co-president (and better half) Arya Diwase and I share a vision of inclusive collaboration. One of the first lessons I learned from Professor Aaron Kay is that the key to business and management is not about how we choose to divide the pie, but rather how can we make the pie bigger. Inclusive collaboration is how we make the pie bigger. By recognizing that we share many of our goals, personal or professional, we can make the pie bigger. With inclusive collaboration—whether it be in the club spaces, with events, with initiatives around campus, etc.—we will be able to accomplish more, drive deeper impact, and learn from one another. This is an idea Arya and I are putting into action this year.

Me (left) with my MBAA co-president Arya Diwase in Fuqua’s hall of flags, March 2023

One of the fun (but overwhelming) parts of business school is the sheer volume of things to do—the possibilities are seemingly endless! I believe our diversity is a strength, and we are only beginning to understand how powerful of a force it can be. My goal entering my second year is to explore and celebrate other cultures, lived experiences, and backgrounds while encouraging my classmates to do the same.

Building Community

I’m happy to share that this idea has already come to life when the American Latinx Management Association (ALMA) and Asian Business Club (ABC) held a joint food event. The event was about so much more than food—it was a living example of why I love the Fuqua community. By sharing food, we had the chance to experience two different cultures and offered the two affinity groups a space to be celebrated and respected.

Me (left) facilitating a conversation between two alumni and Management Leadership for Tomorrow fellows, March 2023

This coming year, I look forward to expanding this sense of belonging to other Fuqua students, just as my dear friend Andrew did for me one year ago. His mentorship taught me the importance of learning from my peers—a reminder not to forget how much we need one another. 

The post Leveraging Leadership to Build Community appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Sharing My Faith at Fuqua
My heart sank during my first week at Fuqua in a diversity training where students were asked to write down their meaningful identity and share with a group. I wanted to write that I was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but feared ridicule.

After gathering some courage, I shared with my group, and to my surprise, I was met with sincere questions like, “Oh, don’t you guys have missionaries? Did you serve a mission?” This experience reinforced Fuqua as a school that emphasizes shaping future leaders who exude a high “[url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/2021/06/25/caroline-queen/defining-decency-quotient-dq-at-fuqua]decency quotient[/url].”

Sharing and Respecting Faith

For many individuals, faith and spirituality is a major part of their identity. Therefore, as more and more companies promise to honor employee’s authentic selves, thoughtful business leaders must also respect faith traditions as they do with race, sexual orientation, and all other identities of their diverse workforces. As part of its focus on shaping future leaders who embrace diversity, I was happy to see that Fuqua offers many resources to students with religious identities.

Currently, there are several different religious clubs at Fuqua, including Catholics @ Fuqua, [url=https://sites.duke.edu/fuquachristianbusinessfellowship/]Christian Business Fellowship[/url], [url=https://sites.duke.edu/jewishbusinessassociation/]Jewish Business Association[/url], [url=https://fuquaconnect.duke.edu/organization/fuquamib]Muslims in Business[/url], and the [url=https://sites.duke.edu/fuqualdssa/]Latter-day Saints Student Association[/url]. Each club offers opportunities to practice their respective beliefs, serve the surrounding community, and build friendships.

[img]http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2023/10/Kenden-Hulick-Sharing-My-Faith-at-Fuqua_2.jpg[/img]
Me at Stanford for the Latter-day Saints MBA conference, April 2023

These groups also participate in activities together, including an annual interfaith discussion panel and other spaces that allow students to discuss different beliefs in a safe environment. Fuqua also helped me to attend a conference for LDS MBAs at Stanford last April, which provided networking with individuals who shared my faith foundation.

Talking About Faith With Your Peers

While Fuqua provides great resources and is filled with well-intentioned people, sometimes mistakes are made. For example, when a classmate discovered I lived in Utah, he bluntly asked if I was Mormon, an improper slang term for my religion, and mentioned that I probably wouldn’t be fun at parties because I don’t drink alcohol. While I laughed to avoid feeling awkward, I felt judged and reduced to a stereotype.

To avoid offending anybody with a faith tradition, below are some tips to navigate common pitfalls.

1. Understand that religious topics are deeply sensitive.

This seems obvious, but many religious individuals consider their beliefs sacred. Ask if they are willing to share first and seek to listen and gain understanding if they do. People love sharing what matters deeply to them, but only if it is respected.

2. Don’t avoid the topic.

If we as business leaders want to encourage people to be their authentic selves, we cannot avoid the tough discussions. Spiritual conversations should be reinforcing and positively inquisitive. The other person should feel empowered by the conversation and grateful you asked thoughtful questions, including, “I’ve heard this, what are your thoughts or beliefs? What challenges do you have living your faith in your professional life? How has it made you a better person?”

3. Recognize personal choice and don’t generalize.

Just because one individual practices their faith a certain way, it does not mean everybody practicing that faith acts exactly the same way. Spirituality is unique to the individual and should be respected as such.

During my summer internship, I had great conversations with a co-worker who is a practicing Sikh. We asked each other deep questions regarding each other’s beliefs and discovered many similarities. I looked forward to speaking with him because he made me feel valued and taught me more about his faith, and he became a true friend as a result. My hope is that all students at Fuqua will help their classmates feel the same way my friend did and will continue to do so throughout their careers.

The post [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/2023/10/09/kenden-hulick/sharing-my-faith-at-fuqua]Sharing My Faith at Fuqua[/url] appeared first on [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba]Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog[/url].
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73511 [0]
Given Kudos: 19074
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived Duke Fuqua Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our Duke Fuqua Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated Duke Fuqua Forum for all fresh things related to the Duke Fuqua MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sharing Our 25 Random Things [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Sharing Our 25 Random Things
As students at Fuqua, we embrace what makes us unique. The “25 Random Things” essay is an opportunity to step back from interviews, test scores, and resumes and reflect on our authentic selves. Beyond becoming a well-known piece of Fuqua’s admission process, the “random things” essay is an essential step in helping the Admissions team get to know us better.

Here are just a handful of the things that make us who we really are.

Caleb Walker

• Working at Ally, I had a crush on a girl who worked on the 11th floor. We both volunteered for the 2017 Pride parade and spent the day together. That girl is now my wife.

• My favorite tattoo is a small cartoon banana on the inside of my right elbow. It’s a reminder not to take myself too seriously.

• Photography is a hobby I’ve wanted to explore since high school. I bought a Nikon after college. I’ve since sold photos of Iceland and solar eclipses and have eight hanging throughout my apartment.

• Hoseya is a boy from Rwanda I’ve sponsored through Compassion International for five years. I became inspired after reading about President George H.W. Bush’s sponsorship following his passing.

• I like to step out of my comfort zone. At 13, I learned to sing on a whim. I joined my school’s beginner’s choral group and continued to earn a spot in their honors group and the all-state champion’s choir.

Julianne Dahlman

• Since 2018, I have logged 2024 hours driving a warship across a distance equal to eight times the Earth’s circumference (roughly 200,000 miles) and have operated with Japanese, South Korean, Australian, Canadian, Singaporean, Indian, Thai, and Filipino navies.

• I have 32,555 photos on my phone and thousands more on my camera. My Pops (Grandpa) and my mom grew up loving photography and passed their passion along to me.

• The most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen was from the summit of Mount Fuji.

• I am extremely defensive about South Carolina barbecue sauce. North Carolina may have good barbecue, but nothing will beat the spicy yet tangy taste of South Carolina’s mustard-based sauce!

• I am a huge movie buff. I recite President Whitmore’s speech from Independence Day every Fourth of July from memory. It’s my go-to party trick! Alongside my passion for movies, I love soundtrack music. From Hans Zimmer to John Williams, I can recognize hundreds of tracks within seconds of the introduction.

Kiara Cooper

• Every Saturday during football season, you will find me cheering on the Georgia Bulldogs, a team I have been a fan of my entire life. My father was a middle linebacker at UGA in 1997. 

• I have an irrational fear of ants after accidentally stepping on a fire ant mound during my ninth birthday party.

• I was fortunate enough to know my great-great and great-grandmothers for the first 13 years of my life. Family is a huge part of my life, and I will always cherish being able to be close to the four generations above me. 

• In a friendly, childhood competition, I was runner-up in a Ms. Pac-Man tournament. This made me extremely competitive in all arcade and board games, and even inspired me to purchase a miniature Pac-Man machine as an adult

• I have three half-sisters, who just turned 5, 3 and 1 years old. After growing up an only child, learning how to be an older sibling, long-distance, has been an adventure.

Louis Wu

• I share a birthday with one of my best friends. Each year, he likes to remind me that he’s older than me since he was born three hours earlier.

• I’m a huge Pokémon fan. I still have my original cards from 20 years ago.

• I haven’t had a sip of anything caffeinated in more than 7 years.

• I’m also lactose intolerant, but I regularly push the boundaries and limits.

• My grandmother was one of 15 siblings.

Queen Nwokonneya

• My mom is my biggest inspiration. As a banker raising three kids, she taught me the value of resilience and that women can have it all—the career, the family, the life. This remains my mantra to this day.

• I took a spontaneous trip to Mahe Island in Seychelles and stayed at the same resort where Ian Fleming got the inspiration for the James Bond novel “For Your Eyes Only.”

• I was featured in a music video after attending an Afrobeats concert in London.

• I almost got lost driving a quad bike through the red sand dunes and desert terrains in Dubai.

• I am a massive Harry Potter fan. I also share a peculiar scar on my forehead. I have a passport cover which says, “Travelling to Hogwarts. If found, please return to Platform 9¾.” It makes me believe I am always on a magical journey.
The post Sharing Our 25 Random Things appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Making Fuqua My Home and Bringing Fuqua Home with Me [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Making Fuqua My Home and Bringing Fuqua Home with Me
As an international student, I initially struggled to build a strong community at Fuqua. I am a curious person who seeks more personal connections. In the beginning, the difficulty in finding a balance between thinking about how people might view me and doing what I wanted made me a bit nervous. I was afraid of both being seen as a “stereotypical Asian” and putting too much pressure on myself to try something even if it made me uncomfortable. Eventually, I built a home at Fuqua and wanted to share my authentic self with my new community.

Here are some strategies that helped me find my place:

1. Connecting with my Section Mates

For first-year students, our sections are our home base. When I was nervous about presentations and participation in the discussions, I made an effort to get to know my section mates. Don’t be stressed about immediately getting to know them deeply, but having an interest in knowing them is a good start. This helped me feel more comfortable participating in class discussions

2. Being My True Self

In the beginning, I was hesitant to fully be myself, fearing I might be seen as “weird.” I love golf, cooking, and basketball, but always stopped myself not to doing those things. My golf score is not good, I cannot cook very fancy meals, and I’m too short to play basketball. However, my friends encouraged me to pursue my interests regardless of my skill level. Letting my true self shine helped me feel at home.

3. Embracing New Experiences

Trying new things and adapting to different cultures with my friends was a bonding experience. From a big birthday party hosted with other international students in the summer term to camping out for Duke basketball tickets, playing golf every week, we have experienced countless social and sports events together. A sushi lunch tradition starting in our first year is now the most important event for my friends and me. I learned that if I wanted to do something, I shouldn’t just wait to be invited but to start it myself.

Celebrating a friend’s wedding in Mexico

Giving Back to My Community

As I built more friendships, many of my peers expressed interest in visiting my home country of Japan. But they needed support to do so. Asia is far from the U.S., we are in the opposite time zone, and the language and culture are different. I could easily empathize with their concerns, but I imagined how fantastic if I could travel with all of my friends in my country.

One stop on our Japan trek

Seeing an opportunity to give back to the Fuqua community that had supported me, I decided to plan a winter break trek to Japan. The experience gave me valuable insights, teaching me more about my friends and myself. This is what I learned:

• My friends’ interests and enjoyment sometimes differed from my expectations. I have traveled within my country many times and am familiar with major must-sees for tourists, but my friends are good at finding something new and funny. Following their lead introduced me to new perspectives on experiencing my home country.

• Team Fuqua is always Team Fuqua. Before and during the trek, many people showed they cared about my experience and asked if there were any ways they could help. From assistance coordinating karaoke to ordering drinks in Japanese, I am so thankful for my friends who stepped up on the trek! Another memorable moment for me was receiving the surprise gift they had gotten for me as the trek leader. Having a loyal community to lean on is my favorite thing about Team Fuqua.

• Most importantly, I learned that balancing the needs and preferences of a diverse group is challenging. There is no simple solution, but this hands-on experience taught me valuable lessons about leading a team with various cultural backgrounds and individual preferences.

Sukiyaki dinner with my section mates in Japan

Overall, the trek was an opportunity for me to give back to the Fuqua community that had supported me, while also learning how to navigate cross-cultural experiences as a future leader.

The post Making Fuqua My Home and Bringing Fuqua Home with Me appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Putting People at the Center of the Energy Transition [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Putting People at the Center of the Energy Transition
After returning to Fuqua from my summer internship at one of the largest renewable energy developers and best-managed utilities in the country, I found myself reflecting on the value I bring to the table in accelerating the clean energy transition. I wondered: what impact do I want by working in energy? What about this industry compels me to undertake this journey, and what is my role in it? For weeks, I let these questions and many others like them turn over in my mind.

Understanding the Impact of Energy

It was not until our Center for Energy, Development, and the Global Environment (EDGE) Fall Seminar session with GT Hollett and Katherine Bond from Dominion Energy that I realized why working in energy has so much potential for impact. It was a reminder of the roles people—not just technology—can play in accelerating an equitable transition to cleaner, increasingly affordable, and reliable energy. While the discussion and questions from my peers focused heavily on understanding the company’s Integrated Resource Plan (IRP), Katherine’s work within external affairs tilling the soil in local communities captivated me.

By the end of the discussion, we got to the heart of what the work should truly be about: people and ensuring they live a decent life. Energy is the means to that end. Energy is not the end goal, and a clean transition is not the end of the road.

When I attended Harvard Business School’s annual Climate Symposium, I heard Stephane Hallegate from The World Bank speak about not just ending poverty or financing the adoption of clean energy technology through pilots, but also increasing livability for the world’s most vulnerable populations. A lunch with a developer in Hawaii with AES reinforced this further. We can’t make progress if we don’t get the communities where we develop projects on board, we need to develop true trust in the communities in which we operate. As Katherine emphasized, we need to do well before we have a project in mind, and we do well for the people who stand to be impacted.

All of these insights have left me with a clearer understanding of my own potential for impact—bridging the gap between people and what they care about and need to live meaningful lives. People are empowered by access to clean, affordable, and reliable energy, but there remains a need to scale clean technologies.

Creating My Energy Philosophy

I don’t want to just sit in an office and perform “desktop analysis” limited to my singular understanding of the world or insights written by others. I want my work to have a direct impact on people that can be empowered by clean energy so they can live their most full and joyful lives. Access to energy for vulnerable populations can be the difference between endurance and enjoyment. As I move forward and beyond Fuqua, I will dedicate my career to roles that enables me to use my understanding of energy and voice to put people, not just technology, first in this transition.

All of this is to say that I am grateful for learning opportunities like having guest speakers such as Katherine and GT in class and attending conferences to hear from the world’s foremost thought leaders tackling the world’s greatest climate problems. These experiences have challenged me to rethink what truly matters in this transition. While of course, the environment is the focus, it is all in the spirit of preserving a high quality of life for all of the planet’s inhabitants. To advance technology and markets in pursuit of a cleaner world, we must galvanize and empower people by learning about what matters most to them.

For the longest time I tried to find a singular thing that united people but realizing that what unites people is not a simple physical attribute or object, it is the right to a livable planet.

The post Putting People at the Center of the Energy Transition appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What Being an Impact Scholar Means to Us [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: What Being an Impact Scholar Means to Us
Passionate about the impact we could make in our respective fields, we came to Fuqua looking for meaningful opportunities to make a difference. Through the Fuqua Impact Scholars program, we are doing just that. The program connects impact scholars with one of Fuqua’s research centers and a wide range of resources, including mentors and exclusive events or activities.

Here’s more about our individual experiences as impact scholars.

Brontavius Railey, COLE Impact Scholar

I chose Fuqua, like most people, because of the community. It is difficult to go a day without hearing the phrase “Team Fuqua,” and it is just as difficult to go a day without somebody from Team Fuqua having a profound impact on said day. I came here intending to not only benefit from Team Fuqua, and the amazing people from all walks of life that make up that team, but also to give back. This is why I was elated when I found out I would be an impact scholar with the Fuqua/Coach K Center on Leadership & Ethics (COLE).

In my first year, the opportunity to assist current COLE Fellows in shaping the experience of my fellow first-years was more than I could have ever hoped for. As if I weren’t lucky enough to just be a part of Team Fuqua, my time as a COLE Impact Scholar afforded me the opportunity to become a COLE Fellow in my second year.

For all the fun that comes with it, business school is a trying time. To know that I may have played a small part in helping others navigate through this journey is the highlight of my time here. (Well, maybe second only to my Global Academic Travel Experience trip.) From helping C-LEADs work together effectively to putting up the resiliency wall and keeping fellow classmates motivated during tough times, I am proud to have been a COLE Impact Scholar.

Kandasi Griffiths, CASE Impact Scholar

Coming from and returning to social impact, I worried my experiences would not be understood or appreciated in business school. On the contrary, the fact that the Impact Scholar program exists reinforced that Fuqua values students using business as a force for social good, and I was honored to be selected as one through the Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship (CASE).

Each month, the impact scholars across the centers come together for a guest lecture or discussion. I learned about courage in leadership from COLE, astonishing technological advances for environmental justice from the Center for Energy, Development and the Global Environment (EDGE), the meandering path of an impact career from CASE, and so much more.

Beyond the formal sessions, I wanted to get to know my peers more casually. I worked with Admissions to get the full list of scholars, set up a Slack channel to share resources and support, and accessed funds for a coffee social at a local social enterprise. More than anything, CASE has been my home away from home at Fuqua—from grabbing a chocolate from the candy bowl between classes to countless office hours about my career trajectory, it has provided a sense of belonging and guidance for me to make the most of my MBA.

Kelsey Worsham, Duke I&E Impact Scholar

While living in Durham for five years before starting at Fuqua, I had developed an unshakable passion for the local entrepreneurial community. I knew it was important to bring this passion into Fuqua’s Daytime MBA program—an opportunity afforded to me by the Impact Scholar program.

As an Impact Scholar under Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Duke I&E), I gained access to learning and community-building opportunities through all five centers at Fuqua. I found this to be especially helpful when the worlds of recruitment, academics, and socialization collided in Fall 1.

The Impact Scholar program gave me much-needed time to explore new fields and make friends with first- and second-year students outside my normal bubble. From fireside chats with professionals in environmental impact to lunch-and-learns centered around trends in health care, the program has given me a more well-rounded b-school experience. Amid a notoriously fast-paced graduate program, I’m grateful for this chance to broaden my horizons.

Max Sumner, HSM Impact Scholar

I still remember when I got the call—I was driving home for Thanksgiving when Mandy McGuire, an Admissions counselor, called to let me know that not only had I been admitted to Fuqua, but I had also been selected as a Fuqua Impact Scholar with the Center for Health Sector Management (HSM). While at the time I didn’t fully understand what that meant, I have grown to be immensely humbled by the ‘impact’ that being a Fuqua Impact Scholar has had on my business school experience.

What I have been most impressed by in this program is the cohort of peers I interact with. My fellow HSM Impact Scholars worked in pharmaceuticals and medical devices, while others worked in the provider space. All have and will change the trajectory of the health care system. Even outside the HSM cohort, the broader impact scholar community is impressive—leaders, community advocates, and passionate individuals abound. The breadth of expertise and experiences was incredible.

With this cohort, I have been able to attend seminars and lunches with guest speakers, special events, and unique direct interactions with the incredible faculty at Fuqua. These experiences were organized and fostered by the Fuqua administration, which let the impact scholars focus on learning and enjoying, something that is unique in an academic environment.

I am immensely thankful for being selected as an HSM Impact Scholar—it has made my business school experience distinct, powerful, and impactful.

Shivani Kuckreja, EDGE Impact Scholar

When I first came to Duke, I was only a Master of Environmental Management (MEM) candidate and had not yet explored the possibilities of becoming a dual degree MBA. When I did ultimately decide to become an MBA candidate, I did so with hesitation, fearful of not being able to find fellow students with similar interests.

Being an EDGE Impact Scholar helped me immediately find my community of like-minded leaders. It also quickly introduced me to leaders in health care, entrepreneurship, energy, and social impact. In addition to helping me build a strong and diverse community, the Impact Scholar program has also provided the opportunity to hear from and meet with inspirational environmentalists, such as Catherine Coleman Flowers, through Impact Dialogue Lunches.

Being an EDGE Impact Scholar has helped ensure that I am simultaneously comfortable and challenged at Fuqua, a rare combination that I will forever be grateful for.

The post What Being an Impact Scholar Means to Us appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
My Philosophy that Inspired a First at Fuqua [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: My Philosophy that Inspired a First at Fuqua
Reflecting on my MBA journey, I realize that the passion to reach new frontiers comes from my childhood and Bantu DNA, to believe in a future greater than our circumstances and that difficulties wouldn’t prevail. This philosophy propelled me into the MBA journey, making me the first Mozambican woman to join the Daytime MBA program at Fuqua.

Dreaming is simple, but fear and discomfort often set in when turning our dreams into reality. Leaving comfort zones behind to embark on a new life can be daunting. One of the moments I felt challenged was the team challenge day in my first term at Fuqua. I just followed my gut and trusted my classmates to help me conquer the wall and mountain climbing activity. Even though nervousness and self-doubt crept in in some situations, making me question my abilities, I always chose to trust my Fuqua cohort, who had been through similar situations while communicating my feelings.

Nearly one year later, what was once unfamiliar has evolved into a realm of comfort because, when I packed my bag, I also carried my Ubuntu way of life: “I am because we are.” I couldn’t have come this far by myself. It took the whole village to conquer all the groundbreaking achievements. At Fuqua, surrounded by people from all over the world and from all walks of life, I have been building my new village so I can reach greater heights.

I am in the middle of my Fuqua journey. But, I already appreciate the depth of the transformation I am undergoing, the eternity of the memories, and the robustness of the bridges I am creating with my newly-formed global village. The connections will only pave the way for boldness to tackle challenges more significant than I ever thought I would, and to make an impact greater than I could ever make before Fuqua.

The post My Philosophy that Inspired a First at Fuqua appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Exploring Venture Capital as a Potential Career Path [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: Exploring Venture Capital as a Potential Career Path
One of the key drivers behind my decision to pursue an MBA was to acquire the credibility, connections, and resources necessary to seamlessly transition between careers. Specifically, I aimed to pivot from consulting to marketing, which I was successfully able to do. However, an MBA at Fuqua not only facilitated this transition but allowed me to explore alternative career interests, such as venture capital.

While my passion for understanding consumer behavior, scaling multimillion dollar brands, and developing growth strategies has been a longstanding interest, my entrepreneurial spirit and curiosity toward better understanding the intricacies of venture capital have always been there at the back of my mind.

Before business school, my exposure to entrepreneurship primarily came from volunteer work, family/friends who started their own businesses, or from analyzing deals on platforms such as Shark Tank. However, the notion of pursuing a career as an investor remained largely unexplored, partly because I felt I didn’t have the connections, resources, or ‘right’ profile, but my MBA at Fuqua gave me the space to challenge these preconceptions and change that.

From attending entrepreneurship-focused events (e.g. pitch competitions, networking events), taking finance and startup classes, and learning from classmates who interned at venture capital or private equity firms during their summer internships or the school year, I found myself significantly better prepared to explore opportunities to gain real-life experience at a VC.  Additionally, I gained a wealth of knowledge about how large corporations run an innovation arm where they trial, test, and launch new businesses during my summer internship at P&G Ventures. I’m grateful for my experience at P&G, and in particular, the following resources that landed me my second-year spring semester internship as a Venture Fellow at Cofounders Capital, a VC that focuses on early-stage B2B software companies in the Southeast.

Fuqua’s Mentored Study Program (MSP)

A mentored study is a unique experiential learning opportunity for a Fuqua MBA student to partner with a company on a customized 12-week project for academic credit. As one of the most active and well-renowned VCs in the area, I was grateful to be able to apply and receive a spring internship offer with Cofounders Capital.

VC and Startup Classes

Entrepreneurial Finance & Venture Capital Strategy taught by Professor Manuel Adelino was one of my absolute favorite classes at Fuqua. It was highly recommended to me by second-year students and alumni before I even applied to Fuqua. Professor Adelino is a phenomenal professor with a wealth of knowledge about the startup ecosystem. His class helped me better understand how VCs evaluate the long-term potential of a startup, the challenges of financing innovative businesses, and the dilemmas founders face with fundraising.

I also loved taking the experiential course New Ventures: Deliver with Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship (Duke I&E) Lecturing Fellow Max Stern during the Fall 2023 semester. In the course, I worked on Himayat, a social impact venture founded by a fellow MBA classmate. Himayat is a comprehensive employment benefits platform supporting female domestic workers and employers in India. We learned how to develop a functional hiring plan, branding strategy, and fundraising strategy for the initial round of funding for 2025.

Finance and Accounting Classes

I’m extremely glad I pushed myself to take multiple quantitative electives, as these courses are some of best here at Fuqua. Notably, classes such as Corporate Finance taught by Professor John Graham and Managerial Accounting taught by Professor Elia Feracutti helped me develop a strong foundation of key concepts in different valuation methods, capital budgeting, and cost management methodologies. These rigorous courses helped me develop the knowledge and technical skillset to better understand deals, conduct due diligence, and develop financial models at Cofounders Capital.

FoundHer Challenge

During the first year at Fuqua, I participated in the FoundHer Challenge, a 4-week pro-bono consulting project for a female-founded startup organized by the Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club. I worked with three other students to help the founder of a CPG startup prioritize new product development by analyzing the total addressable market, cost implications, value, and ease of implementation between two new product line extensions.

Support from Classmates

I’d also like to give a shoutout to classmates who helped me with my recruiting journey. In particular, I’d like to call out Arya Diwase, Arnoldo Matheus, Lohita Chamarti, and Nali Shah for their support, encouragement, and interview preparation. I could not have done it without them  Go, Team Fuqua!

I’m extremely grateful for the multitude of learning opportunities afforded to me throughout my time at Fuqua. An MBA at Duke was not only instrumental in helping me successfully switch careers from consulting to marketing, but it fostered a stronger sense of confidence, empowering me to undertake calculated risks and explore diverse professional interests.

Looking ahead, I’m extremely excited about starting my new full-time career as an Associate Brand Manager at Mars, based in their headquarters in New Jersey. I’m excited to help Mars Wrigley expand and grow their portfolio of brands, while remaining open to the prospect of transitioning back into the realm of venture capital in the long term, drawing upon the insights and experiences garnered from a strong career in marketing.

The post Exploring Venture Capital as a Potential Career Path appeared first on Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The Many Ways I Stay Connected to Team Fuqua as an Alum [#permalink]
FROM Fuqua Student Blogs: The Many Ways I Stay Connected to Team Fuqua as an Alum
When researching business schools, I knew that I wanted to be somewhere that had a supportive culture. Relationships have always been one of the most important things in my life, and being in an environment that encouraged collaboration and teamwork was a top priority. Learning about Team Fuqua solidified that Fuqua was the best fit for me.

During my time as a student, I frequently experienced Team Fuqua in action and formed meaningful relationships with numerous parts of the Fuqua community. The Team Fuqua spirit is what continues to drive my connections with my classmates, professors, colleagues, and current Fuqua students.

Finding Fuqua Connections at Work

When I graduated from Fuqua, I joined UnitedHealth Group’s (UHG) leadership experience program, a two-year rotation program designed to cultivate the next generation of UHG leaders through unique exposure, experiences, and development opportunities. One of the things that most attracted me to UHG is the number of Fuqua alumni in the program. From helping with first-round interview preparation to evaluating the different rotation opportunities, the [url=https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/alumni]Fuqua alumni[/url] were instrumental in offering their insights and extending their network and resources.

Since joining UHG, I started a quarterly [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/2022/04/28/sandeep-panda/what-is-fuqua-friday]Fuqua Friday[/url] as an informal mechanism for us to interact with and get to know each other. Although it’s virtual and we unfortunately don’t have any chicken tenders, it’s been a great way for us to foster community in an organization with more than 450,000 employees.

[img]http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/05/Meghan-Spell-The-Many-Ways-I-Stay-Connected-to-Team-Fuqua-as-an-Alum_2.jpg[/img]

Recruiting and Other Campus Visits

Another way I’ve remained involved with Fuqua is by returning to campus whenever a recruiting opportunity exists. I’ve participated in the [url=https://centers.fuqua.duke.edu/hsm/category/hsm-bootcamp/]Health Sector Management (HSM) Bootcamp[/url], the [url=https://www.fuquahcc.com/]Duke MBA Health Care Club’s[/url] annual conference, company presentations, coffee chats, and interviews.

I always look forward to being back on campus so I can interact with current students as well as catch up with mentors, advisors, and professors, such as fellow attorney and avid reader [url=https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/faculty/john-buley]John Buley[/url], health care guru [url=https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/faculty/peter-ubel]Peter Ubel[/url], and social entrepreneurship leader [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/bloggers/erin-worsham]Erin Worsham[/url], who played a pivotal role in my experience. One particularly fond memory is being at the Health Care Club Conference when three of my classmates, Mahek Chhatrapati, Gordon Silverman, and Andrei Assa, were discussing their company DocNexus as that year’s keynote speaker. Another is returning to campus for the HSM Bootcamp with my section mate, Tess Rodriguez, and Emma Breithaupt, who spent her summer internship on my second rotation’s team.

Receiving and Sharing Updates

In addition to being active in health care activities, I am also involved with the [url=https://centers.fuqua.duke.edu/case/]Center for the Advancement of Social Entrepreneurship[/url] (CASE), having joined the group as a CASE Scholar when I enrolled. CASE Executive Director Erin Worsham sends an email at the beginning of each year introducing the newest CASE Scholars and providing a forum for us to give professional and personal updates. I love receiving this each year, especially because people respond sporadically and keep the thread going for months.

[img]http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/05/Meghan-Spell-The-Many-Ways-I-Stay-Connected-to-Team-Fuqua-as-an-Alum_3.jpg[/img]

This year, I was able to share in my update that I was excited about hosting another CASE Scholar in New Orleans for Mardi Gras. This activity speaks to the strength of the bonds that are formed while at Fuqua and the instant connection that’s shared with people who are part of this special group.

Creating New Memories with Classmates

On a personal note, I moved to Minneapolis sight unseen when I graduated. A handful of classmates were also moving to Minneapolis for their careers, so I coordinated different events for us to periodically meet in person. One of these socials was Taberna Tuesdays, where we go to a Mexican restaurant called Taberna on Tuesday evening as an ode to the beloved Tavern Tuesday tradition at Fuqua. Although I recently moved back to my home state of Louisiana, the group continues to get together, and I join when work brings me back to the Twin Cities.

[img]http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/05/Meghan-Spell-The-Many-Ways-I-Stay-Connected-to-Team-Fuqua-as-an-Alum_4.jpg[/img]

Most of my closest friends were dispersed throughout the country once we graduated. Thankfully, group texts keep us connected and updated on what’s happening with each other. Since graduating, I’ve visited Seattle, Portland, Nashville, D.C., New York City, Rhode Island and multiple places in between to spend time with Fuqua friends in their new cities.

Most recently, my friendships formed at Fuqua brought me to the furthest place I’ve traveled—Thailand. A friend (and section mate) from Fuqua and I met another Fuqua friend in his hometown of Bangkok. We spent two weeks exploring Thailand and Vietnam together over the winter holidays, exploring various sites like temples, elephant sanctuaries, palaces, and markets, trying local favorites as we went.

[img]http://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2024/05/Meghan-Spell-The-Many-Ways-I-Stay-Connected-to-Team-Fuqua-as-an-Alum_5.jpg[/img]

This experience was one I could only vaguely envision when I was looking at the diverse cultures and backgrounds of previous class profiles at Fuqua. I’m thankful to Fuqua for bringing all of us together and for fostering an atmosphere that encourages authentic and continued connection. I’m looking forward to remaining involved in the Fuqua community and building upon the strength of these bonds.

The post [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba/2024/06/04/meghan-spell/the-many-ways-i-stay-connected-to-team-fuqua-as-an-alum]The Many Ways I Stay Connected to Team Fuqua as an Alum[/url] appeared first on [url=https://blogs.fuqua.duke.edu/duke-mba]Duke Daytime MBA Student Blog[/url].
GMAT Club Bot
The Many Ways I Stay Connected to Team Fuqua as an Alum [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts