Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
pitts20042006 wrote:
was busy consolidating my position in my Company after spending so much of my time on gmatclub last year ;-)

Do we get specific while talking about ourselves ... as in personal details (not personal life, but some personal experiences from which you learnt)?

do we address the weak points of our application in our essays - ex: very low AWA (say 4.0), missing 3 months while looking for a job etc.?

different types of essays - personal, issue essay, abstract essay .. any other tpes? any specific approach to take for each type?

We have lots of articles and advice on writing the essays in the MBA admissions section of Accepted.com . In addition, I have written monthly tips articles since 1998 for our newsletter. Most of these pertain to writing application essays. They are compiled in an e-book, Submit a Stellar Application: 42 Tips to Help You Get Accepted or you can also find them online for free if you want to take the time to go through the back issues of Accepted.com's newsletter.

To answer your more specific question: Yes details make all the difference in an essay. Details and anecdotes add interest, distinguish you from your competition, and demonstrate the qualities that business school want to see far more effectively than declarative statements.

For tips on answering specific types of questions, please see "Solving the Puzzle." as well as a number of articles in Submit a Stellar Application.
In general you should address weaknesses, but you should weigh up whether you need to do so. You certainly don't want to raise red flags or exaggerate slight weaknesses into serious concerns. Certainly a six month absence from the work force would have to be explained. A one-month absence would not have to be explained. Three months? That's a gray area. It would depend on the details. I also don't think I would explain a 4.0 AWA. However, if you have a consistent record of poor verbal scores, you need to deal with possible concerns about your communications abilities. The best way to address concerns about your communication skills is to write great essays and inteview well.

Our article "MBA Admissions: Low GMAT or GPA" isn't exactly on point, but it may still help you.

Originally posted by Accepted.com on 03 May 2004, 15:31.
Last edited by Accepted.com on 04 May 2004, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks Linda for your input and the resource links.

Don't know how I landed up with 4.0 AWA but I had excellent TOEFL (though 4 years ago :)) and also have certificates from classes such as Leadership through Public speaking, Effective speaking, Facilitation skills. You think I need to mention this. My concern is that 4.0 AWA is the only dark spot in my academics over the last 4-5 years (I have a 3.8 GPA in my Masters in Science). Your suggestion about not mentioning it in my essay is consistent with what one other advisor told me ... but I am just trying to be confident about not addressing this issue in my essays.

3 months job gap is not my issue so I am not worried about. But this is my 2nd job since October 2001. I do have a strong reason to change the job which is related to me gaining experience in different fields etc. My question is - is it ok to change another job before April-July of next year (which is when I hope to start my MBA)? It is not a big concern but I would like to know the direction I take in my thought process if some opportunity comes by.

I remember there was an essay question asked by a school which asked you to solve a real world problem from a managerial level - something like How will you solve this dispute between the workers in a factory and the owners during a strike -- or something similar. My question is how much research should go into this essay. Not too many applicants have been in such situations early in their career. Then how do you come up with an answer to such questions? What should be the approach?
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
Thanks Linda for your input and the resource links.

Don't know how I landed up with 4.0 AWA but I had excellent TOEFL (though 4 years ago :)) and also have certificates from classes such as Leadership through Public speaking, Effective speaking, Facilitation skills. You think I need to mention this. My concern is that 4.0 AWA is the only dark spot in my academics over the last 4-5 years (I have a 3.8 GPA in my Masters in Science). Your suggestion about not mentioning it in my essay is consistent with what one other advisor told me ... but I am just trying to be confident about not addressing this issue in my essays.

I would not mention it given all the other evidence you provide of communications ability. Also, the AWA is the least significant part of the GMAT.

Quote:
3 months job gap is not my issue so I am not worried about. But this is my 2nd job since October 2001. I do have a strong reason to change the job which is related to me gaining experience in different fields etc. My question is - is it ok to change another job before April-July of next year (which is when I hope to start my MBA)? It is not a big concern but I would like to know the direction I take in my thought process if some opportunity comes by.

If you have a job opportunity that supports your long-term goals, then you should probably go for it, but make sure it's a real good one. There is a down side to showing three different jobs in less than three years. On the other hand if you can show that each one represented greater responsibility, growth, and/or took you closer to your long-term professional goals, you should be fine.

Quote:
I remember there was an essay question asked by a school which asked you to solve a real world problem from a managerial level - something like How will you solve this dispute between the workers in a factory and the owners during a strike -- or something similar. My question is how much research should go into this essay. Not too many applicants have been in such situations early in their career. Then how do you come up with an answer to such questions? What should be the approach?

I think you're referring to Tuck's question from the last couple of applications. Why don't we see if you have to answer that question before figuring out how to respond?

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks again for your very prompt replies.

Just to avoid confusion in my mind - You think I should mention my certificates from the communications classes in the essay but not my AWA score. Correct!?

I was not referring to Tuck's application actually ... and I think that I shall have to answer a similar essay question in my other application.

I look forward to reading your articles the first time I get a chance to do so.

You should list the classes and certificates somewhere, but I'm not sure the courses would make the most fascinating topics for your essays, and without knowing much more about you and the specific questions, I can't really say for sure. You would probably be best off listing them in the Education Section of the application or perhaps under Education on your resume, if your school requests a resume.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
for Linda [#permalink]
Linda,
I have made my essays and would like to get feedback from professionals who can critique my essays. Do you have any recommendations?

Kath
Send PM
Re: for Linda [#permalink]
Expert Reply
kath wrote:
Linda,
I have made my essays and would like to get feedback from professionals who can critique my essays. Do you have any recommendations?

Kath

Yes. I certainly can recommend my company, Accepted.com. :) We have been in business for ten years and on the web since 1996. Our editors are all professional writers and editors who have been doing application editing for years. Our clients have been accepted to Harvard, STanford, Wharton, Chicago, Kellogg, Columbia, Chicago, MIT, Tuck, Michigan, Darden, NYU, INSEAD, LBS, Anderson, Haas, Marshall, and lots of other top MBA programs.

You can find information about our MBA essay editing servicesor our qualifications on our Web site. If you have any questions, please feel free to submit an inquiry.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Essays essays essays [#permalink]
As an MBA grad myself (accepted to 9/10 schools, full scholarship!), I understand the power of personalized storytelling. I'll guide you to craft unique essays that use powerful anecdotes to showcase your strengths and goals. I don't believe that generic cookie-cutter essays work anymore.
I have a full-time job (which I adore!), so I will only take on a few clients at a time. If you are serious about your applications and ready for the grind, let's chat!

Feel free to email me at jprati333@gmail.com and let's discuss how I can help you create a stand-out MBA application!­

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Essays essays essays [#permalink]