Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
IMHO, in your case it's better to focus on thoughts and feelings (some schools actually explicitly ask for that). Don't hide your actions, but no need to chew them around too much if they don't sound stellar.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
drucker_fan wrote:
Paul,
thanks for replying. I'll incorporate your ideas into my essays. I'll try to incorporate 'leadership' examples and also work on the multicultural angle. Is it ok if I show leadership experience outside my work, such as leading hiking trips and so on? The problem is that in my current job, chances to show leadership skills are very limited.

I've often read/heard that Indian software/IT types write cookie-cutter, standard essays. As a result, their personality doesn't shine through (or even appear) in the essays. What do you think about this? Should I make my essays personal, i.e. how I made a decision, instead of how I carried out a decision? The difference is that the 1st gives the adcom a sense of how I think, while the 2nd reads like I'm rehashing my resume. I guess the short question is, should I focus on thoughts or actions?

After your answer and reading more about Wharton West's program, I decided not to apply there. Without formal management experience, my shots are low, and the program isn't a good fit for me.

I think you're doing an enormous service by helping us out in these forums. I also found your link 'Advice to older applicants' helpful.

Thanks,
DF

DF,

The hiking leadership essay might work though it's not as impressive as leadership in work or leadership in a volunteer situation where the environment parallels the work environment. Hopefully, the hiking story will not be the only leadership story you have. They see a lot of those kinds of stories and unless the leadership you displayed while hiking was quite dramatic (saving, rescuing, etc.) it may not be as strong as you:d like.

As for thoughts vs. actions, you need to include the "actions" to show the context and outcome of your leadership--to show that your leadership actually involve real people, real situations, and real outcomes. Your thoughts are of course important, but not as much as what they compel you to do. "Actions" should also include the specific steps and tactics you take to lead people. The way you can stand out is by *how* you describe your actions--the amount of personality you express in your description, including of course how you feel about the situation you:re describing. But actions should still take precedence over thoughts.

Good luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks, Paul! [#permalink]
Hi Paul,
update: I applied to Haas and UCLA, was accepted at both, and will attend Haas. I want to thank you for the advice you gave me here as well as in your excellent book. I found the book very useful while writing my essays and highly recommend it to anyone applying to b-school.

Best regards,
DF
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: thanks, Paul! [#permalink]
drucker_fan wrote:
Hi Paul,
update: I applied to Haas and UCLA, was accepted at both, and will attend Haas. I want to thank you for the advice you gave me here as well as in your excellent book. I found the book very useful while writing my essays and highly recommend it to anyone applying to b-school.

Best regards,
DF

DF,

Congratulations on your acceptances and thanks for updating us. If you have any inclination to post a brief positive review of my book at Amazon.com, I would be deeply and eternally grateful. Best of luck at Haas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi druker_fan [#permalink]
Awesome score that you have got.. Am not an expert on the selection criteria. Just wanted some of your valuable advice..

Have another 20 days for Test Day and seem to repeatedly get 35-37 in verbal. Just wanted your opinion on how to improve my Verbal scores ;) Anything specifc that you could sugget ?? :-D

I mean Test giving strategies or reading material. SC seems to be my nemisis, have already gone through the Manhattan Guide for SC but cannot get a strike rate of above 70%. Anything you feel could help me improve my scores ??

Thanks a lot for replying, it could bring a lot of change in my prep. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Ajay,
did you read my post at https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... highlight=?
I have given a brief description of my study method, etc.

Please email me again if you want more info.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]