Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 20:05 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 20:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [12]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [6]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 945 [0]
Given Kudos: 410
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Some microbiologists study bacteria in an effort to learn about the [#permalink]
rukna wrote:

Thanks.
One last point, The option A doesnt say that there are some common features left which have not changed.

I am not sure about this. I dont know whether they have any common features left now or not. It just says that they had common features. This is same confusion I had while answering this question in exam :(

Option A- All bacteria throughout evolutionary history have had a number of important features in common that are absent from other kinds of organisms.

If there are some features that have been common throughout the evolutionary history , it means that these features have not changed and so the microbiologists can study the modern/recently evolved bacteria and find out/learn something about the old ones.

I would recommend you to go through the OE Of OG 13 Q 43.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1946
Send PM
Re: Some microbiologists study bacteria in an effort to learn about the [#permalink]
A is the best answer as we have to find the flaw in the criticism and not in the strategy of microbiologists.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 218
Schools: IE
GPA: 1
Send PM
It would be nice if no comments on right or wrong answers would be posted along the gmat questions, it makes the user unconsciously pick an answer based on those comments.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [2]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Some microbiologists study bacteria in an effort to learn about the [#permalink]
Kudos
Premise: microbiologists study bacteria to learn about the structure of the earliest organic life
Conclusion : flaw in strategy as bacteria are extremely varied
Additional P: bacterium alive today is at the tail end of a long evolutionary process and has undergone considerable change since the earliest organic life appeared on Earth

We need to find an answer which weakens the additional Premise wherein something which says though bacteria varied still they are helpful to learn about the structure of the earliest organic life

A- All bacteria throughout evolutionary history have had a number of important features in common that are absent from other kinds of organisms - This answers helps my claim that though varied still helpful. Hold this one
B - Most ancient strains of bacteria either became extinct or adapted to changing environmental conditions - This supports the conclusion. Eliminate
C - All microbiologists study one kind or another of organic life - We are concerned about bacteria. Out of scope. Eliminate
D- Many microbiologists who study today’s bacteria do not draw inferences about the origins of organic life on the basis of their studies- This is a tempting answer. But we need an answer which supports that though bacteria varied still they are helpful to learn about the structure of the earliest organic life. Here no inference being drawn by microbiologists in a way supports the conclusion that they are not confident about their study. Hence NOT an answer.Eliminate
E- Even those strains of bacteria that have not significantly evolved in millions of years are importantly different from the first strains of bacteria that appeared on Earth- This answer is talking about some strains of bacteria and not all. But we need an answer will talks about ALL bacteria. So, eliminate

Hence A
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Some microbiologists study bacteria in an effort to learn about the [#permalink]
i eliminated A just because it said "absent from other types of organisms"

we are comparing bacteria with other types of organisms.

how can this be right answer then?
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM

CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15269 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
howdoesitmatter wrote:

For any CR question, it is convenient to categorise each part of the given passage into one of the following five categories:
1. Premise, 2. Conclusion, 3. Background, 4. Counter-premise, 5.Counter-point (i.e., opposite to conclusion)

For the subject question:

Some microbiologists study bacteria in an effort to learn about the structure of the earliest organic life : Background
A flaw in this strategy is that bacteria are extremely varied: Conclusion
Indeed, any bacterium alive today is at the tail end of a long evolutionary process and has undergone considerable change since the earliest organic life appeared on Earth: Premise

Premise ---> conclusion. In a "weaken" question we need to find the option that weakens the bridge between the premise to conclusion.

Here, the argument is as follows:
Bacteria today has undergone evolution and changed a lot (premise) ---> Therefore bacteria are varied (conclusion)

You would notice that in the passage, the strategy of the scientists comes only as background information - whether it is right or wrong has no bearing to the argument itself. The part "absent from other kinds of organisms" raises question about the strategy of the microbiogists - it is another flaw, but that flaw is not a part of the conclusion.

So option A weakens the Premise to Conclusion bridge used in the passage by stating that the bacteria are not varied.

Suppose the conclusion here would have been as follows:
A flaw in this strategy is that bacteria are extremely varied are different from other species.

In this case Option A could not have been the right option, becaused then it would have strengthened the argument.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts