Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Cornell University
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Vanderbilt Applicants Fall 2008 [#permalink]
Guys

Even I applied at Vandy in R1..interviewed on 13 Dec.

GMAT 700...exp 2.5 years in IT.

havent heard anything yet!
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
pranay_jack wrote:
Guys

Hm...with the deadline a week away, it seems like you should hear soon. Maybe with your interview being so late you're among the last applications they are reviewing. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Re: List [#permalink]
GMATforFal08: Applied & accepted
PaulK: Applied & accepted
mbahunter: Applied & accepted
MiamiMBA: Applying R2
iokita: Applied & accepted MSF program
ashish.mahendra: Applied & dinged
thunderdogg: Applied R2
pranay_jack: Applied R1
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How do the RD2 interviews work? I haven't done one, but i sent my app off a few days ago.
Will I need to schedule one with the school? Somewhere in the process i was pretty certain it said that past a certain date, interviews were by invite? Did i miss read something?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
thunderdogg wrote:
How do the RD2 interviews work? I haven't done one, but i sent my app off a few days ago.
Will I need to schedule one with the school? Somewhere in the process i was pretty certain it said that past a certain date, interviews were by invite? Did i miss read something?

As a R1 applicant, I'm only speaking from my experience, but I never heard anyone talk about interviews by invitation only. Maybe for the last round, but you should just need to schedule your interview.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PaulK wrote:
pranay_jack wrote:
Guys

Hm...with the deadline a week away, it seems like you should hear soon. Maybe with your interview being so late you're among the last applications they are reviewing. Good luck!

I am on waitlist :(..

No idea what went wrong..surprised to be waitlisted with 700!
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
pranay_jack wrote:

Sorry about the waitlist pranay. With 75% increase in applications, this is a killer year to apply. Damn worries about a recession...

According to Princeton Review, the % of accepted students who decide to attend is only around 50%. So, it seems likely that Owen may be trying to keep an eye their yield to make sure the class size doesn't explode. I would bet you're in good shape to get off the waitlist.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
what is the take on Phone Interviews? Does it hurt your app, or is it equivalent to a visit? Financial constraints prevent me from being able to just up and take a $800 trip to Nashville for 2 or 3 days and I can't do the DC visit due to work responsibilities.. This leads me to believe a phone is my best choice. Will this be viewed in a negative light?
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
thunderdogg wrote:
what is the take on Phone Interviews? Does it hurt your app, or is it equivalent to a visit? Financial constraints prevent me from being able to just up and take a $800 trip to Nashville for 2 or 3 days and I can't do the DC visit due to work responsibilities.. This leads me to believe a phone is my best choice. Will this be viewed in a negative light?

With a clear explanation like that thunderdogg, I couldn't imagine opting for a phone interview would do any harm. And I'm sure the adcoms are well-versed enough to know it's a bit harder to communicate your ideas over the phone.

I would give a very clear explanation like you did here to the admissions office, and talk about Nashville in your interview to show you've researched the area and what it has to offer. If you haven't looked at their catalog, one of the biggest selling points is that the school is located in Nashville, which is a fantastic city.

Hope that helps! Good luck, let me know how your interview goes!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks PaulK

However, I guess even if i happen to clear the waitlist, I have no chance of getting scholarship!

And then..without schol..Vandy is a costly affair!..and thats as good as a NO to me :(.. damn $122,000!!
PaulK wrote:
pranay_jack wrote:

Sorry about the waitlist pranay. With 75% increase in applications, this is a killer year to apply. Damn worries about a recession...

According to Princeton Review, the % of accepted students who decide to attend is only around 50%. So, it seems likely that Owen may be trying to keep an eye their yield to make sure the class size doesn't explode. I would bet you're in good shape to get off the waitlist.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
Hmm...I wonder if that is the case. The cost of business school started to dawn on me now that we're starting to hear back from the schools. Scholarships are so hard to come by because, well, enough people are trying to go to so few schools that they don't really have to worry about scholarships.

Seems a bit ironic that those of us looking to get an MBA to work in the business world are simultaneously funding what has got to be the most profitable part of these schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Had my campus visit, interview and tour yesterday in Nashville. One of the admissions directors said that applications were up 30%. She also said that they try to spread out the allocation of scholarships over all rounds (not just mainly in R1). Overall a great visit, scenic campus and very friendly students, staff and professors.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
MiamiMBA wrote:
Had my campus visit, interview and tour yesterday in Nashville. One of the admissions directors said that applications were up 30%. She also said that they try to spread out the allocation of scholarships over all rounds (not just mainly in R1). Overall a great visit, scenic campus and very friendly students, staff and professors.

Nice info Miami. I visited before school was in session, so I missed meeting students and professors. It sounds like R2 may actually be a better round to have applied in, because with applications up 75% in R1 and an even allocation of scholarships, you should be in good shape for a scholarship offer.

Did you attend a class?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
PaulK wrote:
Did you attend a class?

I did attend a class - a marketing/brand management class with a professor who is fairly new at Owen. Before class when we were introduced, he seemed very excited to be at Vandy and was really looking forward to the focus the school is placing on marketing/brand management. He didn't mention any specific changes in classes/curriculum, but just generally was excited to be there.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V45
Send PM
MiamiMBA wrote:
I did attend a class - a marketing/brand management class with a professor who is fairly new at Owen. Before class when we were introduced, he seemed very excited to be at Vandy and was really looking forward to the focus the school is placing on marketing/brand management. He didn't mention any specific changes in classes/curriculum, but just generally was excited to be there.

I have heard a lot and read some also on the focus they're putting on marketing. They hired away one of Wharton's tenured marketing profs to head up their marketing department, and hired a couple additional new professors. Apparently, marketing needed to be improved, so Vandy's really focusing on working on it.

I figure, they're already known to be strong in finance, and marketing and finance makes up a big portion of MBA's. So if they have the 2, it should help them move on up.

When are R2 decisions made? This is just me being lazy and not looking at the website.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PaulK wrote:

When are R2 decisions made? This is just me being lazy and not looking at the website.

according to my little chart of dates 3/7 is when R2 admits shown know for sure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Owen admit...count it.

sent my app in R1, just found out this week...the school said this has been the most selective R1 process in their history
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7