Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:30 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall'08 applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
I wouldnt inform him of your status with any other school. When they say that they mean when you hear from their school. I let my interviewers know when I received my decisions but nothing before that. I think that question gets asked to see where they might fall and also to see what if your claims of fit make sense. You dont want to say I love the big city life of Chicago and then say you are applying to Tuck. Or I like the various teaching styles since I think thats my ideal learning environment and then say you are applying to Darden.

Kellogg vs GSB is something that isnt going to hurt your chances, for all you know it could help him write you a better one if he really does think you are a good fit since he will want you to go there instead of GSB to deprive them of such a stellar candidate.

If you find out after you hear from other schools you can always say, I was admitted to school Kellogg and I plan on choosing it over school X. Or I was dinged by kellogg but I was admitted to school X. I think they do like to hear you had some success, and like it even better when you tell them you are goign to their school. My GSB interviewers response to my ding at GSB and admit at Kellogg was interesting, he actually said Kellogg was probably a better fit for me and my career goals, then joked that it may have a worse building but its got a much nicer location. These people do genuinely care that you succeed in your goal of getting an MBA, remember they were once in your shoes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
great advice! thanks nupur and river ! As always you are all a great help.

And kudos to both of you :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I think you need to realize that a lot of the people who are waived arent in major cities and even if there are alums there, only a small percent actually do interviews. If you are hoping to go into a major city then it wont be as much of an issue...especially with the global economy, you very well could be hired by a major US company to work in an overseas office and they will know very well who Kellogg is. Pretty much all of the UEs and many Es will help you overseas. If a company is recruiting MBAs they probably have a good idea where schools stand in reputation.

cool dude, thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Send PM
Couple question for you aspiring cornflakes...

Any of you applying for the 1Y program? I'm currently considering applying for R3 in a last-ditch effort for the 1Y program. I have a business undergrad (UT - McCombs) so I fit the criteria and I like the idea of getting in and out in one year. However, my obvious weakness is my GMAT score (610 Q42, V31) and applying during R3. I have a unique background - (Study abroad twice (Thailand, Scotland), Motorola in China, Peace Corps in South Africa, and now a joint-venture between a US PE company and state-owned China company in China and I also speak Mandarin fluently) so that's naturally my strong side.

I've heard that R3 for 1Y programs is practically impossible. Could I submit my application and then retake the GMAT shortly afterwards and hope that sways their decision? Or do you think I should give up on the idea this time around and prepare for R1 next year? I'm leaning towards giving it a shot: Strong: essays, background ; Weak: GMAT, R3.

What you think? Thanks for the advice!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
 Q48  V38
Send PM
raconteur wrote:
Couple question for you aspiring cornflakes...

Any of you applying for the 1Y program? I'm currently considering applying for R3 in a last-ditch effort for the 1Y program. I have a business undergrad (UT - McCombs) so I fit the criteria and I like the idea of getting in and out in one year. However, my obvious weakness is my GMAT score (610 Q42, V31) and applying during R3. I have a unique background - (Study abroad twice (Thailand, Scotland), Motorola in China, Peace Corps in South Africa, and now a joint-venture between a US PE company and state-owned China company in China and I also speak Mandarin fluently) so that's naturally my strong side.

I've heard that R3 for 1Y programs is practically impossible. Could I submit my application and then retake the GMAT shortly afterwards and hope that sways their decision? Or do you think I should give up on the idea this time around and prepare for R1 next year? I'm leaning towards giving it a shot: Strong: essays, background ; Weak: GMAT, R3.

What you think? Thanks for the advice!

raconteur while you do have a unique background, R3? I'm not sure if that's ever a good idea....personally, i had really bad experience in R3....you must definitely explain why you did not apply in the other rounds for sure......they should know that this was not a spur of the moment idea.....also i would network A LOT and use all that material in the application.....that's the only way I would do it at all
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [0]
Send PM
Any idea when we are likely to hear Kellogg (R2) decisions ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
I wouldnt be surprised if the start making calls the week after DAK...so another week. That will be about the same time line as last round. You could ask this on BW in the ask kellogg thread.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks River ! kudos.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
If we both don`t get into kellogg, maybe we`ll both be at NUS :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Who's still waiting for an interview from K besides me? lol
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hope we both get into Kellogg toga. I am waiting for a response from an Indian school as well. If that works out, I might go there if none of the US schools show any love.
togafoot wrote:
If we both don`t get into kellogg, maybe we`ll both be at NUS :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1575 [0]
Send PM
I went to Evanston for an on campus interview this past Saturday and here is my experience:

I arrived at 9.30am at Kellogg admission office, half an hour before my appointment. There were two prospective MBA students. By 10am, the number grew to six, and I was the first one to be called.

My interviewer is a trained first year student. He explained me the interview process and got started. First, he picked a line of my resume and asked me to explain. Unfortunately, I didn't prepare for the line. So instead of giving my answer is such a way of "I did this...I did that", my answer is more like "my company this...my company that". I felt that I could have framed the answer better. Then we talked about what I do. I felt a bit nervous at that point, and I thought my answer wasn't as clear as I wanted.

Then came the BEI questions:
1. Leadership
2. Failure
3. Why Kellogg?

I gave him the answers I prepared for. I didn't get "Why MBA?". I feel that I did better on the "BEI" part, but not as well on our initial conversation. My interviewer also has a heavy accent and it was hard for me to understand his words. Then he opened up for questions. I asked him 3 questions, which I felt made up for our lost conversation earlier. I felt that I can connect to him more on these questions.

Overall, I don't know how I did. I think it could have been better. We were scheduled for 30mins, but mine last 45mins. Cheers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I remember Riverripper mentioning that he had a not-so-great Kellogg interview and yet he was amongst the first few to get a call from Kellogg. I guess the interview isn't a make-or-break in the case of Kellogg. Good luck !

bkk145 wrote:
I went to Evanston for an on campus interview this past Saturday and here is my experience:

I arrived at 9.30am at Kellogg admission office, half an hour before my appointment. There were two prospective MBA students. By 10am, the number grew to six, and I was the first one to be called.

My interviewer is a trained first year student. He explained me the interview process and got started. First, he picked a line of my resume and asked me to explain. Unfortunately, I didn't prepare for the line. So instead of giving my answer is such a way of "I did this...I did that", my answer is more like "my company this...my company that". I felt that I could have framed the answer better. Then we talked about what I do. I felt a bit nervous at that point, and I thought my answer wasn't as clear as I wanted.

Then came the BEI questions:
1. Leadership
2. Failure
3. Why Kellogg?

I gave him the answers I prepared for. I didn't get "Why MBA?". I feel that I did better on the "BEI" part, but not as well on our initial conversation. My interviewer also has a heavy accent and it was hard for me to understand his words. Then he opened up for questions. I asked him 3 questions, which I felt made up for our lost conversation earlier. I felt that I can connect to him more on these questions.

Overall, I don't know how I did. I think it could have been better. We were scheduled for 30mins, but mine last 45mins. Cheers.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
So, looking at Roll call for R1:

Noone received scholarship money. Noone, correct?

Does Kellogg not give out any? Did anyone read anything on the BW forums?

Or does Kellogg not have to bother?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I wouldnt be surprised if the start making calls the week after DAK...so another week. That will be about the same time line as last round. You could ask this on BW in the ask kellogg thread.

I have my interview March 4th on campus. Would they start making calls before even finishing to interview everyone ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
branson wrote:
So, looking at Roll call for R1:

Noone received scholarship money. Noone, correct?

Does Kellogg not give out any? Did anyone read anything on the BW forums?

Or does Kellogg not have to bother?

Branson, you have to submit your financial aid application with the 1 page "scholarship application". The Financial Aid office issues most scholarships I believe.

Thanks,

Rob
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
TJ wrote:
Togafoot: thanks for the suggestion, I will let them know about my GPA situation.

Aceman: Two somewhat interesting questions I got were...who do you admire most and why? and what do you think the weakest part of your application is?

Cool man, thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  60   61   62   63   64  ...  100