Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 07:26 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 07:26
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling Georgetown MSB Fall 2008 applicants [#permalink]
SoccrRef wrote:
I sent mine in yesterday. I'll be going to Georgetown also!

Congrats & welcome! Looking forward to meeting you guys in D.C., don't forget to start looking for housing early. :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Got the admit package. I'm sending in my deposit tomorrow!

Does anyone know if Gtown does a background check? I have no read anything about it so far...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
rajpdsouza wrote:

Does anyone know if Gtown does a background check? I have no read anything about it so far...

Is there something about your past that the rest of us need to be worried about??? :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SoccrRef wrote:
rajpdsouza wrote:

Is there something about your past that the rest of us need to be worried about??? :lol:

Well, there was this one time I was in Tijuana..... :lol:

Nope, just wondering that's all.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
hello..

i applied for round 3 and just got an interview... i have not really done too much research on the school as it was like a last minute thing for me... how good is this school for investment banking? what should i expect during the interview process? thanks.. for those that are curious... 710 gmat/3.5gpa/2yrs we/25 yrs old
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wondee wrote:
hello..

i applied for round 3 and just got an interview... i have not really done too much research on the school as it was like a last minute thing for me... how good is this school for investment banking? what should i expect during the interview process? thanks.. for those that are curious... 710 gmat/3.5gpa/2yrs we/25 yrs old

Wondee,

For IB, hard to tell. The career placement stats for 2007 showed slightly less than half of the class (42%) went into a Finance & Accounting function, while ~45% overall entered the Financial Services industry. The good news is that banks such as BoA, BB&T, Citi, Lehman, JPMorgan, Wachovia all hired, and financial centers like Charlotte, NYC & Boston are relatively close to D.C. What remains unclear is the exact percentage of students who went into IB, IM, S&T, Research, PCS, Ops etc. Regardless, Georgetown is a top 25 school with a strong brand presence that you can use as leverage, especially on the East Coast.

Will you be traveling to campus or interviewing elsewhere with an alumnus?
Manager
Manager
loom wrote:
wondee wrote:
hello..

Wondee,

For IB, hard to tell. The career placement stats for 2007 showed slightly less than half of the class (42%) went into a Finance & Accounting function, while ~45% overall entered the Financial Services industry. The good news is that banks such as BoA, BB&T, Citi, Lehman, JPMorgan, Wachovia all hired, and financial centers like Charlotte, NYC & Boston are relatively close to D.C. What remains unclear is the exact percentage of students who went into IB, IM, S&T, Research, PCS, Ops etc. Regardless, Georgetown is a top 25 school with a strong brand presence that you can use as leverage, especially on the East Coast.

Will you be traveling to campus or interviewing elsewhere with an alumnus?

ill be going to NY to interview with an alumni (i assume). did you interview? any advices? if so, what kinda of questions do they ask? thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wondee wrote:
ill be going to NY to interview with an alumni (i assume). did you interview? any advices? if so, what kinda of questions do they ask? thanks

Yes, I interviewed with an alumnus. Pretty standard but formal, until the end when we chit-chatted for a couple minutes. Why MBA, why now, why Georgetown, short-term goals, long-term goals, strengths & weaknesses. Know your resume and be able to walk someone through it for 5-10mins. I was also asked a couple times for the rationale behind my undergrad and career choices & changes.
Manager
Manager
loom wrote:
wondee wrote:

Yes, I interviewed with an alumnus. Pretty standard but formal, until the end when we chit-chatted for a couple minutes. Why MBA, why now, why Georgetown, short-term goals, long-term goals, strengths & weaknesses. Know your resume and be able to walk someone through it for 5-10mins. I was also asked a couple times for the rationale behind my undergrad and career choices & changes.

thanks. i appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
 Q41  V35
Send PM
wondee wrote:
hello..

B school is all about fit and I have learned this the hard way. I would urge you to do research on the school to see that you really want to go there. this will make a different for your decision and show when you interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Octane wrote:
B school is all about fit and I have learned this the hard way. I would urge you to do research on the school to see that you really want to go there. this will make a different for your decision and show when you interview.

I agree with Octane. I could tell the interviewer was really trying to look for fit.

There are 3 main reasons why I wanted to attend Georgetown, but I arrived at those conclusions only after researching the school & talking with students/alumni. Each reason I gave ended up forming the basis for another talking point. I tried to make sure that if I was pressed to go beneath the surface and explain why, I could back it up with examples from my previous work and life experiences.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I agree with Loom and Octane. My interviewer was really looking for fit. However, my interview was very informal. It could be that finals week was coming up so my interviewer was stressed. My interviewer didn't even ask for a copy of my resume. We were just chatting along and she didn't mention it, so I asked her about 5 minutes in if she wanted a copy. She glanced at it briefly, but more or less stuck to her sheet of standard questions. I thought this was a bad sign, but I got accepted so who knows?

At the end we had a real nice conservation about the program, the new building, finals, the student body, organizations, pretty much everything. With all the questions I asked, I made sure that it wasn't a completely stupid question and that I had done research. Just do your research and know YOURSELF. You'll be fine.
Manager
Manager
I interviewed yesterday in NY with an alum. I thought it went pretty well. So how long did you guys have to wait to hear back after your interview?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Mine took 4 weeks. I applied in the 2nd round and I think my situation was atypical.

You should receive yours by May 30th.
Manager
Manager
loom wrote:
Mine took 4 weeks. I applied in the 2nd round and I think my situation was atypical.

Oh, great. That's not bad at all. Wish me luck guys and thanks for all of your help during this process.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
wondee wrote:
loom wrote:

Oh, great. That's not bad at all. Wish me luck guys and thanks for all of your help during this process.

I interviewed on a Wednesday and found out the next friday, so 9 days for me. However, I interviewed after the notification date so that might've played a part.

Good luck wondee! Let us know the results!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
All the best Wondee, Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9