Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
Angel652001 wrote:
I'm in off the R2 waitlist!
Sorry I didn't post sooner, but I went out to celebrate! I got the call at 4:12 PM CST.

Congratulations!
Now, pass me some of the lucky charm to get off Ross' waitlist :)
I assume you will be accepting Chicago now.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the congratulations! It's still a bit surreal to me. I have to keep checking my phone to make sure they called and I wasn't dreaming.

svrider, I really like Ross's program, but I'm already in Chicago and I hate packing. Plus the person moving with me (if we move) currently only has a job in the Chicago area. It seems much less likely that I'll be able to pick up and move to Michigan even if I do get in. Oh, plus I can get a puppy if I stay in Chicago (a bribe from the significant other to stay).

I'm going to wait until next week before I take myself off the waitlist at Michigan. I went to Chicago undergrad, so I still like the idea of academic diversity. Hopefully Michigan will just reject me so that I don't have to think about this too much more! :wink: Otherwise it'll be a hard decision to make and currently, I'm just savoring the thought of quitting my job.

As for getting off the waitlist, I knew my application was weak in GPA (2.83) and in GMAT (690--70% Verbal, 85% Quant). Once on the waitlist, I re-took the GMAT and got a 730 (89% Verbal, 89% Quant). In my 1 pg update letter, I reiterated my desire to go to Chicago and discussed some developments in my extracurriculars: I'm teaching a summer program at the non-profit I volunteer at, and was asked to join the advisory board. I had a colleague write an additional rec for me. I work with this colleague a lot, but I don't technically work for her, so I thought it offered a different view of my management style.

I do think the fact that I'm a girl helped me get off the waitlist. Slightly sad, but I'm too elated with getting into school to actually care.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Congrats angel. That's great news.

No call for me, so it's probably a ding in less than an hour.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Angel652001 wrote:
Thank you everyone for the congratulations! It's still a bit surreal to me. I have to keep checking my phone to make sure they called and I wasn't dreaming.

svrider, I really like Ross's program, but I'm already in Chicago and I hate packing. Plus the person moving with me (if we move) currently only has a job in the Chicago area. It seems much less likely that I'll be able to pick up and move to Michigan even if I do get in. Oh, plus I can get a puppy if I stay in Chicago (a bribe from the significant other to stay).

I'm going to wait until next week before I take myself off the waitlist at Michigan. I went to Chicago undergrad, so I still like the idea of academic diversity. Hopefully Michigan will just reject me so that I don't have to think about this too much more! :wink: Otherwise it'll be a hard decision to make and currently, I'm just savoring the thought of quitting my job.

As for getting off the waitlist, I knew my application was weak in GPA (2.83) and in GMAT (690--70% Verbal, 85% Quant). Once on the waitlist, I re-took the GMAT and got a 730 (89% Verbal, 89% Quant). In my 1 pg update letter, I reiterated my desire to go to Chicago and discussed some developments in my extracurriculars: I'm teaching a summer program at the non-profit I volunteer at, and was asked to join the advisory board. I had a colleague write an additional rec for me. I work with this colleague a lot, but I don't technically work for her, so I thought it offered a different view of my management style.

I do think the fact that I'm a girl helped me get off the waitlist. Slightly sad, but I'm too elated with getting into school to actually care.

For those WL'ers who have avg to below avg GMAT scores for a given school, I think this instance shows the WL impact of getting a higher GMAT score.

Many congrats, Angel! Great success story!
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Wow.. Still on the waitlist. I'm going to be an expert at "waiting" by the time summer finishes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
I am still on the waitlist as well. I will discuss this with my wife tonight, then I will almost certainly withdraw.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Good luck bherronp. Michigan is a great program. You're gonna be great no matter you decide.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Denial for me but luckily my first choice worked out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Concentration: Economics, Finance, Farm and Ranch Management
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Also waitlisted... I guess for me it's nicer than being denied outright. I knew applying in R3 was a longshot, and while I'd like to get in this year as much as others, this has been a good experience overall. If I have to reapp next time I think I'll be more prepared.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Angel652001 wrote:
Oh, plus I can get a puppy if I stay in Chicago (a bribe from the significant other to stay).

Congrats. FYI, the "puppy ate my homework" thing doesn't fly too well in B-school :P
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Angel652001 wrote:
Oh, plus I can get a puppy if I stay in Chicago (a bribe from the significant other to stay).

A quick hint from a dog owner...getting a puppy right at the start of B-school is a bad idea. They require a crazy amount of attention, many are bordering on evil when they are little with biting and chewing. Adopt a 1 year old dog, a lot of people are giving up pets these days because of foreclosure. A co-worker of mine actually just adopted a 2 year old dog that is completely trained and is the nicest dog you will ever see. Everyone wants the puppies and not enough people want the older dogs. Our dog is the last dog we got as a puppy and she was a rescue, from now on we are only getting adult dogs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah, I'm adopting a dog. I don't believe in buying dogs when so many are available for adoption. I have a tendency to call all dogs "puppies." Generally at the shelter, you can't get a dog that's younger than 6 - 9 months.

Luckily, our downstairs neighbor is a dog walker, so we're working out an arrangement to have her watch the dog/puppy while I'm at school and while the significant other is at work.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Note to those of you picking mentors.... word to the wise - short emails are cool - find the right mentor for you.... nothing wrong with that. Multi-page long emails with your background asking me if I would like to be your mentor are a little daunting and scare me into thinking you are going to be a ridiculous amount of work.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
rhyme wrote:
Note to those of you picking mentors.... word to the wise - short emails are cool - find the right mentor for you.... nothing wrong with that. Multi-page long emails with your background asking me if I would like to be your mentor are a little daunting and scare me into thinking you are going to be a ridiculous amount of work.

Hey Rhyme,
I'll be at the GSB on the 30th for a morning class visit (I'm visiting K for the afternoon class). I was hoping to say hi but I've set up a meeting w/ a member of the consulting club during lunchtime and I'm headed to K right afterwards.

Haven't been on GTA 4 too much cuz of finals in a couple of classes I'm taking right now. :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
R
rhyme wrote:

Too funny!

Rhyme - do you think it is ok to start asking short/quick questions now or is the mentorship 'supposed' to begin next school year?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
kwam wrote:
helg wrote:
kwam wrote:
My wife just called, GSB sent another package with more material for admitted students.

I'll check later and tell you guys!

So, Kwam, I am curious, what was in the package? I haven't got any yet.

Sorry, it's been crazy at work...

It was a Chicago Guide (Not For Tourist guide) and some info about grad student's housing on UofC properties (such as the International House). At least my wife is thrilled with the quantity of Art Galleries in Chicago, it will make my life much easier :wink:

Hey, has anyone else got this package? I haven't. :roll:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
helg wrote:
Hey, has anyone else got this package? I haven't. :roll:

i got it a while back
GMAT Club Bot