It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 16:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2008, 22:41
kwam wrote:
I need some help from those who live in Chicago (even those who are going to NW) about housing, Irish and rhyme have already gave their help.

What would you guys prefer:

1) Very close to Millennium park and Metra (but also close to fire fighters), 36th floor with view to MPark.
2) Lake shore east with North View 35th floor (Hancock and Navy Pier) - very new building.
3) The Corn Cob with South East view from the 52nd floor (No GSB community whatsoever, but I can start :-D )

Prices are very similar...

I may be closing the deal in the following days...

Pros? Cons?

Another question: is it allowed to go by bike in the Metra?

I would go with #2. The new buildings at Lake Shore East are phenomenal and very luxurious and they also have great views. Also, I would assume that the Lake Shore East building is a very easy walk to the Metra as well.

If by Corn Cob building, you mean Marina City Towers - those buildings are nice and they have great views and all, but I think they're quite a bit older? There's a lot of gutted and remodeled to perfection type units in those towers, but I think the towers in general are at least 20-30 years old. Also, it might be a longer walk to the Metra. Albeit, a shorter walk to the nightlife and restaurants of River North.

Honestly, all 3 of these options are kind of a toss up. It's not like you're deciding between the South Loop vs. Millenium Park or Downtown vs. Lincoln Park. It's hard for anyone to judge without seeing the exact units you're looking at. Go with the best unit, best view, and the building/location that you like the most.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2008, 09:55
I'm living north of downtown (Roscoe Village). I would only recommend the area if you have a car, but I absolutely love this part of Chicago. Plus it's super pet friendly. Anyone going to live in Lincoln Park/Lakeview? Maybe we can carpool!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2008, 10:10
Changing the subject a little bit, I'm thinking about participating in the full marathon this year. It'll be scheduled the weekend before the third week of classes. Is the third week of classes a major mid-term week? In previous years, it was scheduled a week earlier, but due to the fiasco last year, the organizers pushed it back a week.

Some people can run the marathon quickly so it won't kill their day. I'm definitely not one of those people, so I wanted to check before I signed up.

Thanks in advance for your help!

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2008, 11:02
Angel652001 wrote:
Changing the subject a little bit, I'm thinking about participating in the full marathon this year. It'll be scheduled the weekend before the third week of classes. Is the third week of classes a major mid-term week? In previous years, it was scheduled a week earlier, but due to the fiasco last year, the organizers pushed it back a week.

Some people can run the marathon quickly so it won't kill their day. I'm definitely not one of those people, so I wanted to check before I signed up.

I won't be in shape for this year, and from what I talked to current students it's going to be really wild the first term.

Next year I want to run.

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society

Kudos [?]: 2208 [0], given: 7

Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2008, 19:53
Angel652001 wrote:
I'm living north of downtown (Roscoe Village). I would only recommend the area if you have a car, but I absolutely love this part of Chicago. Plus it's super pet friendly. Anyone going to live in Lincoln Park/Lakeview? Maybe we can carpool!

I live in lakeview.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2008, 19:59
Angel652001 wrote:

Midterms are typically either week 5 or week 6. The third week of classes is nothing special. This should also be before recruiting kicks off in earnest, so you should be fine doing the marathon. Also, note that while the GSB's curriculum is demanding, you shouldn't sweat loosing a day. Don't put your life on hold because you enroll in an MBA program, just kick it into high(er) gear.

You can start to sweat when you spend every day of the week getting drunk and hanging out and then realize on Friday you haven't yet done a thing for school. Just ask sonibubu what I looked like this Friday morning and I'm sure he'll agree. What's worse is that I only noticed today that I had forgotten to shave for a week and looked like a disheveled yeti.

VP
VP

Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2008, 12:54
Rhyme I got your last slot available 8-)

Rhyme´s guide to interviewing
http://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t55030

Kwam's Profile
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t57360

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 06:47
:)

offtopic:
http://www.break.com/index/office-worke ... angle.html

Is this in russian? Anyone care to translate?

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 07:41
rhyme wrote:

offtopic:

I wonder what a company was that? Russian IB, PE firm or smth else? Anyway, hope, we will not end this way :lol: The guy shouts: "All are mother-f****rs!!!" :roll: Rhyme, it's not healthy watching this kind of stuff :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 12:24
Kwam - if you haven't already made your decision, my vote is for #2. Jpjazzman, you and I can all be neighbors in the Tides. There will be a number of GSB students in the building and don't forget the $1000 referral bonus :)

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago Booth

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2008, 21:58
rhyme wrote:

offtopic:

That's a riot! Hahaha! :lol:

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 11:53
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbxN71Kc ... bxN71KcqY4

Same event, video from a surveillance camera.

Damn, it feels gross to be a banker :lol:

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 13:36
malumier wrote:
Kwam - if you haven't already made your decision, my vote is for #2. Jpjazzman, you and I can all be neighbors in the Tides. There will be a number of GSB students in the building and don't forget the $1000 referral bonus :)

Sooo...you're saying dinner's on Kwam when we meet up in August?

:-D

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 14:46
helg wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbxN71KcqY4&eurl=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbxN71KcqY4

Same event, video from a surveillance camera.

Damn, it feels gross to be a banker :lol:

Strange... a lot of non-LCD monitors... that's definitely not IB. Probably, some industry... Poor guy... the system's f****ed him.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2008, 22:58
nick_sun wrote:

Strange... a lot of non-LCD monitors... that's definitely not IB. Probably, some industry... Poor guy... the system's f****ed him.

But don't you despair, brothers and sisters! There is a way out!
http://www.bockscar.de/blog/Bilder/officerevolution.jpg

Current Student

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2008, 07:15
Helg, that's the simultaneously funniest, strangest, and most inappropriate thing I've seen all week.

I especially liked the "Ghost" pottery re-enactment.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2008, 22:23
Irishfan wrote:
Helg, that's the simultaneously funniest, strangest, and most inappropriate thing I've seen all week.

It's Tyler Durden's Project Mayhem side plot :-D

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2008, 18:07
edit: Thanks to everyone who volunteered....

I am applying for a scholarship..... Among the things it asks for:

"List your association with and involvement in student groups, program activities, and community service while you have been a student at the Chicago GSB as well as any leadership experience prior to coming to the GSB. Include any offices you’ve held, the degree to which you were involved, and any significant contributions you’ve made."

I think that one of the things I'd like to include is my involvement here, even if unofficial, I think that I can spin it as meaningful. With that in mind, I was hoping someone here might be willing to write a recommendation letter? The catch? It would need to be done this week as the deadline is June 15th. If you would be willing to do it, please PM me. Ideally it would be someone who has been admitted and could talk about how my involvement influenced their decision to apply or their decision to attend. It need not be long, just meaningful.

VP
VP

Show Tags

New post 08 Jun 2008, 23:27
rhyme wrote:

"List your association with and involvement in student groups, program activities, and community service while you have been a student at the Chicago GSB as well as any leadership experience prior to coming to the GSB. Include any offices you’ve held, the degree to which you were involved, and any significant contributions you’ve made."

I think that one of the things I'd like to include is my involvement here, even if unofficial, I think that I can spin it as meaningful. With that in mind, I was hoping someone here might be willing to write a recommendation letter? The catch? It would need to be done this week as the deadline is June 15th. If you would be willing to do it, please PM me. Ideally it would be someone who has been admitted and could talk about how my involvement influenced their decision to apply or their decision to attend. It need not be long, just meaningful.

Hey, is that possible to get a scholarship for the second year? Cool!

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2008, 05:38
helg wrote:
rhyme wrote:

Hey, is that possible to get a scholarship for the second year? Cool!

Yes, there are a few. They are competitive though -- so this is a long shot, but worth the couple hours of effort for sure. My only hope is that people get scared off by GPA requirements: "The majority of past applicants achieved GPAs of 3.8 and higher (all of last year’s recipients had at least a 3.9 GPA as well as outstanding records of service)."

There's another one I'm also applying to thats a bit smaller, but basically has the same questions so what the heck, might as well go for it.

On an aside, I'm touched by how many private messages I had this morning - thanks everyone. I have more than enough volunteers now!

Re: Calling Chicago GSB applicants   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2008, 05:38

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  129   130   131   132   133   134   135    Next  [ 2681 posts ] 

Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants

post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: rohan2345

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap