Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 20:56 It is currently 05 May 2024, 20:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

What should happen with Scoretop users

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
Re: Should GMAC cancel ScoreTop VIPs' scores? [#permalink]
lanter1 wrote:
from what i know about the situation, i don't think the scores should be cancelled unless they prove that someone received a competitive advantage. Even still, they should be allowed a retake. I have seen other sites that promised "real" GMAT questions...this guy just happened to actually them.

Gonna have to disagree lanter1. I don't think they need to prove there existed a competitve advantage. There are some people who, could have seen the exact same questions, all 78, and still get no edge. However, their intent to cheat coupled with their actions means that they should not only be expelled from school, but also be banned from re-taking.

I haven't pored through the materials as rhyme has, but for the people who knew what they were getting into, they need to be expelled and banned. How to go about proving? I don't know, maybe rhyme has a better answer.

The tough part is going to be the gray area, where people signed up, paid, but did so unknowingly (so they claim).

How popular a site was scoretop? I've never heard of it until recently, so I naturally assume that people went to that site through referrals. And referrals came from people who had successfully used the "live" questions.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
added a new option....
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
They should cancel all scores and ban verified cheaters.

Unfortunately, this is just the "peak of the iceberg", this is just one site registered in the United States. Just imagine what is going on on some half-piratic chinese or indian sites... Oh, boy...

I'm not suggesting that cheaters from Scoretop should be abolished, but something is criticaly wrong with the examination process. GMAT as an exam is losing its credibility: if you report high score you are not admired by adcoms but rather suspicious.

They should go back to paper based test, so River here is one more poll proposition for you: after bans and cancelations what next? Paper based test or CAT?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Pathfinder_77 wrote:

Unfortunately, this is just the "peak of the iceberg", this is just one site registered in the United States. Just imagine what is going on on some half-piratic chinese or indian sites... Oh, boy...

I'm not suggesting that cheaters from Scoretop should be abolished, but something is criticaly wrong with the examination process. GMAT as an exam is losing its credibility: if you report high score you are not admired by adcoms but rather suspicious.

They should go back to paper based test, so River here is one more poll proposition for you: after bans and cancelations what next? Paper based test or CAT?

I think you mean "tip of the iceberg." And yes, I'm sure it's even worse, I'm thinking 100x worse outside of US. As for a remedy? NEVER reuse questions, and the best way to do it is to limit the test to quarterly, fixed dates. No more of the take the test whenever you want business.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I dont know if the paper test will happen worldwide but I bet they are thinking about it for China. The GRE went to paper tests over there. In the most recent update article on BW, it came out that GMAC is going after several chinese websites with the help of the Chinese government.

Testing once a month or so would be good but that would really be tough at places like Boston, Chicago, NY...where thousands of applicants take the test each year. Doing paper tests like this is one option, especially at colleges where they are set up for that type of test.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Of course, "tip". Thank you. :wink:

kidderek wrote:
Pathfinder_77 wrote:

I think you mean "tip of the iceberg." And yes, I'm sure it's even worse, I'm thinking 100x worse outside of US. As for a remedy? NEVER reuse questions, and the best way to do it is to limit the test to quarterly, fixed dates. No more of the take the test whenever you want business.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
The CAT's are fine. I prefer them actually. You don't have to be perfect and you can allocate your time accordingly. The time limits on the paper tests were brutal so if you were fast in a section and slower in another you would get penalized a lot more, now you can balance out the time limits.

Also the cost and loss of revenue that GMAC would have to go through to move to a paper based quarterly test would be huge.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
The CAT's are fine. I prefer them actually. You don't have to be perfect and you can allocate your time accordingly. The time limits on the paper tests were brutal so if you were fast in a section and slower in another you would get penalized a lot more, now you can balance out the time limits.

Also the cost and loss of revenue that GMAC would have to go through to move to a paper based quarterly test would be huge.

Actually, the nature of the CAT is fine. The problem is that the questions are repeated. That's the problem. And since one can register for the test any time of the year, GMAC, at $2400 per, cannot produce enough questions.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but how about allocating 2/2.5 minutes per question. That way even if you see "live" JJ questions, you will still have the same time to solve new questions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I voted for 3 but am a bit confused as to the difference between 3 and 5. I think 3 doesn't cancel the scores for people who aren't verified cheaters?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
I voted for 3 but am a bit confused as to the difference between 3 and 5. I think 3 doesn't cancel the scores for people who aren't verified cheaters?

I guess the main diff would be the re-take.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
the third choice means that only the scores of the people verified as cheaters gets cancelled and those same people are banned.

the fifth choice states that everyones score gets cancelled.....

i think.....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
considering that I've seen gmatprep question on the actual exam, not to mention some other question from gmatprep that was the same but just different numbers, the $2400 a question is probably an overstatement :) I could switch numbers for nothing.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
considering that I've seen gmatprep question on the actual exam, not to mention some other question from gmatprep that was the same but just different numbers, the $2400 a question is probably an overstatement :) I could switch numbers for nothing.

I think switching numbers is the precise reason why one should study from the OG/GMATPrep. In essence, you won't be tested on anything you haven't already seen. It's just a variation of a few words and numbers from what you've already practiced with.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
Kudos
kidderek wrote:
sonibubu wrote:

I guess the main diff would be the re-take.

What if a re-taker (VIP member) gets better score than s/he did first time? How much compensation you recommend GMAC give for questioning his/her character and not being able to prove it?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
i say cancel the scores and let em take the exam again...this way all those in the grey area will not be treated harshly..i.e people who became members but didnt really use it..as they claim..to be fair to all..all of those suckers from VIP forum and all test takers from INDIA and CHINA should be given an exam again..this time with GMAC ensuring that no question are repeated..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
 Q51  V42
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
i say cancel the scores and let em take the exam again...this way all those in the grey area will not be treated harshly..i.e people who became members but didnt really use it..as they claim..to be fair to all..all of those suckers from VIP forum and all test takers from INDIA and CHINA should be given an exam again..this time with GMAC ensuring that no question are repeated..

Did you literally mean "ALL" from India and China? What about making an online registry of all "VIP" members, like "sex offenders"?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology Management
Schools:Fuqua, Anderson, Johnson, Ross
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:

Unfortunately, there are no negative kudos on gmatclub. This post merits at least a dozen or so.
How can you so broadly classify the test takers from an entire region based on the actions of some people (over 100k people have taken the GMAT between 2001-07 in India & China)?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4