Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy, and Accounting
Schools:Chicago Booth
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 324 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Re: Calling Chicago GSB 2008 applicants [#permalink]
Hey '08 Chicago applicants. I've recently decided to add Chicago to my list of 5 schools and there is only one thing that scares me about the decision. Not the school, community, career opps or anything like that. Nope. I'm frieked out by one thing.... PowerPoint. How tough was it to do the PowerPoint slides last year? What kind of ideas did you guys come up with? I've thought of something but I feel like its pretty lame. Does it need to be creative or can you basically just showcase your interests/passions/accomplishments?

Thanks for your input.

P.S. I think I'm also going to post this as its own topic
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Hey '08 Chicago applicants. I've recently decided to add Chicago to my list of 5 schools and there is only one thing that scares me about the decision. Not the school, community, career opps or anything like that. Nope. I'm frieked out by one thing.... PowerPoint. How tough was it to do the PowerPoint slides last year? What kind of ideas did you guys come up with? I've thought of something but I feel like its pretty lame. Does it need to be creative or can you basically just showcase your interests/passions/accomplishments?

Thanks for your input.

P.S. I think I'm also going to post this as its own topic

I saw a lot of powerpoints last year. Some were lame and I thought just tried way to hard. Some looked like crap graphically but did a good job of telling a story. One or two actually blew me away. Some people have really good graphics skills.

I talked to and adcom about them briefly a quarter or two ago. The advice he mentioned was:

1) Don't be inappropriate. He didn't elaborate, but he said a surprising number contained inappropriate content. I assume this is people trying too hard to show themselves being social and maybe pushing the envelope with photos that are probably a little too "facebookesque"

2) Don't say whats already been said. If its in your essays, we already know about it, tell them something new.

Don't sweat the ppt, at least not yet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Thanks Rhyme!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
https://www.thechicagospire.com/

Have I told you already that my wife is an architect?
Man this is going to be huge!

What about the Olimpics games? People in my country are hoping to be in Rio. I personally wish that it doesn't happen there, we better spend the money in education and health for those who need...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
When I was in Chicago this past year we walked right by that site and after seeing the size of the lot compared to the sears tower its going to look that much taller since its going to be so skinny that it will seem that much taller. I am curious how they will finally set the building up, with the collapse in real estate and a glut of condos in Chicago already I wouldnt be shocked to see a lot of turn to office or maybe a hotel.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
So, finally heard something about the waitlist today and it's not very encouraging:

"It is hard to say for sure whether or not we will go to the waitlist again, but there is always that distinct possibility."

It seems that some people were rejected today while some others continue to remain on the contracted waitlist. However, they are not sure whether they will be looking at the contracted WL.

Anyone here have advice on what (if anything) I can do now? I've been in touch with the adcom and have sent them periodic updates and let them know that I am still interested.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Yellow, don't despair....

Unfortunately, there isn't much more you can do than just make sure you stay on their radar by continuing to express your interest, sending the occasional letter, etc. Just hang in there....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Thanks rhyme!

I've been thinking about reapplications and am not sure if I should apply R1 or R2 next year (although I'm still hoping it doesn't come down to that). I applied R2 and am still on the WL, which makes me think I should apply R1. However, I've provided them every possible update and am not sure how I can show any growth between July and October.

Also, there is a strong possibility that I will be promoted (title and significant raise), but not until Febraury. Is that something I can talk about in an R1 or R2 app (even if it is not 100% certain)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Hopefully you won't have to make that decision..... but I would personally vote for R1. Although R1 applicants tend to be strong (GMAT long since done, plenty of time to work on the essays, often have their recommendations lined up rather than rushed, etc), you'll be in the same position (or better since you'd have gone through it once already).

Waiting for R2 does just lumps your application in with more people, and it begs the question (to an adcom), if you really wanted to come to Chicago why couldn't you get your things in order and reapply in R1? I'd personally wonder about that if you were a reapplicant -- there's really no reason that you shouldn't be able to get your app ready for R1 and I'd at least ponder the possibility that you just didn't care enough to get it done, or that maybe Chicago wasn't your top choice after all.

As for unattained promotions, I think its fine to say that you are on target and expect it.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [3]
Send PM
Kudos