Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 10:48 It is currently 23 May 2024, 10:48
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: essays - how're they going? [#permalink]
I'm doing four R1, then 1 rolling admission on Nov. 1. I've got the following:

R1:
Chicago
UCLA
Columbia
Wharton

Rolling:
Texas

Maybe Duke or Emory for R2 if I go 0'fer.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
I'm doing four R1, then 1 rolling admission on Nov. 1. I've got the following:

R1:
Chicago
UCLA
Columbia
Wharton

Rolling:
Texas

Maybe Duke or Emory for R2 if I go 0'fer.

R1 - Columbia? You mean you're doing ED?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
essays? oh snap! better get to it!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
Lol @ ^

I started brainstorming on some essay questions that were released early (ie: Harvard), and I wrote some essays for Duke/UCLA (didn't apply anywhere though), and I've been trying to synthesize my notes from the past 6 months or so of random stuff that popped up in my head that I thought might help me in my essays. Other than that...I've been sort of paralyzed, because once I saw the Yale questions I realized this whole thing has really started. I actually didn't sleep at all that night, luckily I've sort of returned to focus mode (I still need to take my gmat in 1.5 months)...but I really can't lie...I'm getting stressed out at all the work that lies ahead.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
Lol @ ^

I started brainstorming on some essay questions that were released early (ie: Harvard), and I wrote some essays for Duke/UCLA (didn't apply anywhere though), and I've been trying to synthesize my notes from the past 6 months or so of random stuff that popped up in my head that I thought might help me in my essays. Other than that...I've been sort of paralyzed, because once I saw the Yale questions I realized this whole thing has really started. I actually didn't sleep at all that night, luckily I've sort of returned to focus mode (I still need to take my gmat in 1.5 months)...but I really can't lie...I'm getting stressed out at all the work that lies ahead.

Are you planning to do the essays and GMAT at the same time?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:
Lol @ ^

If you are planning to, I would recommend trying to avoid doing so if at all possible. I just went through that a couple of months ago. I took my GMAT on June 30th and the Harvard 2+2 application was due on July 1st. I was pretty much doing both of them for the month and a half prior during every waking moment...it was twice as stressful as it could have been, and I kept finding myself cursing myself for not starting the essays in February or March. But if that's your only option, good luck, I guess I'm proof that it can be done. It's just really not fun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Well, I just started on my goals essay this week and it is SLOW GOING. No matter what I write it just sounds so terribad. It makes me want to rip my hair out.

On a side note, is it OK for your goals essay to sound a bit bland? And by bland I mean lacking copious amounts of personality and spunk. Am I right to assume that the more creative writing is better saved for the personal and/or EC topics?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Fomr the successful essays that I've read. I found one common theme. They are, fo lack of a better word, smooth. It's not awkwardly written, it's not filled with spectacular experiences (life & work), it really doesn't blow you away. The message is conveyed well, and concise to keep the essays dense.
Director
Director
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:
Lol @ ^

Well, I take my GMAT on Sept.8 (which means I can take it again on Oct.8/9 and still get in on R1 if I bomb the first time), and I'm applying to 2-3 schools R1,and the earliest of the bunch is Yale at Oct.15....so while yes, I definitely need to work on them prior to taking the GMAT, I will at least have about 1 month cushion to really polish them up.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
VictoryMBA wrote:
terp06 wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:
Lol @ ^

Well, I take my GMAT on Sept.8 (which means I can take it again on Oct.8/9 and still get in on R1 if I bomb the first time), and I'm applying to 2-3 schools R1,and the earliest of the bunch is Yale at Oct.15....so while yes, I definitely need to work on them prior to taking the GMAT, I will at least have about 1 month cushion to really polish them up.

Best of luck man. That's far more than I could ever juggle at once.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
terp06 wrote:

It may not be such a bad thing. you're going to have to cram a lot in that month. But if you do well on your gmat, you'll be riding that high and stay motivated all the way through. I took my gmat way before, and my interest wavered quite a bit.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Wow.. And here I was thinking I'll start August 1st. And that I'd be ahead of the game. I'll probably still be ahead of the game, just not compared to all the overachievers on GmatClub.

I'm thinking of applying to 3-4 schools in R1 (Chicago, Kellogg, Columbia ED). Still trying to figure out what the 4th is. And I still need to decide what schools to apply for in R2 if I get no admits. :?
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
O yea.. And expect my posting to go up tenfold once August 1st rolls around and I begin my procrastination.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
yellowjacket wrote:
I'm thinking of applying to 3-4 schools in R1 (Chicago, Kellogg, Columbia ED). Still trying to figure out what the 4th is. And I still need to decide what schools to apply for in R2 if I get no admits. :?

Good list. I would recommend a safety school as the 4th school you apply to R1.
Director
Director
Send PM
kidderek wrote:
terp06 wrote:

It may not be such a bad thing. you're going to have to cram a lot in that month. But if you do well on your gmat, you'll be riding that high and stay motivated all the way through. I took my gmat way before, and my interest wavered quite a bit.

I started this whole process several months ago (hell, I really started it Oct. '07), and I have been working at a steady pace without really feeling any urgency. I've finished all my research on schools (4 schools in person, 2 I still need to visit), enrolled in a GMAT prep course, then next thing you know it's July, essays start coming out, and all of a sudden I feel like I'm behind.

My only recommendation for next years applicants....start studying for the GMAT in Feb...and have it all taken care of by June. I think I would have followed my own advice had there been any prep courses offering classes. That's a pretty dead time of the year for that kind of stuff. Oh well...no sense dwelling, you play the cards your dealt with and that's that. No feeling bad, just power on through!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
yellowjacket wrote:

You likely won't get a chance to wait for admit notices for R1 before R2's are due. Most of the decision dates are only a week or two before R2 are due.

RF
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Yea.. I do realize that.. I plan to have my list of R2 schools completed around the time I am submitting R1 apps (mid-to-end October) so that I can work on them in the next 2 months and apply only if I don't get any good news in December. It's gonna take me some time to decide which ones to apply to over there.

You guys think the 4th school I apply in R1 should be a safety school (Tepper) or another top school (Tuck). I can't decide which way to go. Do all top schools in R1 and then safeties in R2 or do mix them between the two rounds.

FYI think I'm gonna apply to 6 schools total (in likely order of preference): Chi (reapp), Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck, Darden, Tepper

Bear in mind, I am still on the Chicago waitlist this year (so I'm holding out some hope for that :roll: ), and I think (re: hope) they really like me and am definite that I am applying to Chicago in R1. The other schools I can still mix between R1 and R2.

refurb wrote:
yellowjacket wrote:

You likely won't get a chance to wait for admit notices for R1 before R2's are due. Most of the decision dates are only a week or two before R2 are due.

RF
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5