Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 11:15 It is currently 20 May 2024, 11:15
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: essays - how're they going? [#permalink]
yellowjacket wrote:
Got it. Thanks for the advice. Yea, Chicago is definitely no.1 and then Kellogg/Columbia are pretty close as my second choice. Columbia probably wins out since I want to go into Banking and I already live in NY.

Is there really a drastic difference between ED and RD. I don't want to apply ED because Chi is my first choice, but if ED significantly improves the odds of making it in, I might be tempted. Based on what your WL manager said, I'm thinking I'll be good if I apply Columbia RD in mid-November than Columbia ED beginning October.

Did you make it off the waitlist?

ryguy904 wrote:
It is critical that if you are applying to CBS, you apply EARLY. I don't necessarily mean ED, but if you apply during RD (or even ED for that matter - although it doesn't sound like you will because of your love for GSB), submit your app as early as possible. I'm simply relaying specific feedback given to me by my CBS waitlist manager.

Unfortunately I did not make it off of the waitlist, but I was encouraged to reapply (and am doing so).

There is really no difference between ED and RD (others may argue this) as long as you get your app in early. Seriously, if you submit your RD app the first possible week (or two), your chances will be just as ED. If you wait until a week before the "soft deadline" (the equivalent of Rd 2 at other schools), you will be in trouble unless you are from an underrepresented demographic group.

Also, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think you can submit an RD app as early as October. In case the horse ain't beaten enough, I strongly encourage you to do so.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
fyi -
When I checked CBS website yesterday, there was an option to create a RD app along with ED. I guess you can start your RD app now if you want to.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
And don't forget - submitting an RD application to CBS in October will move it to right at the top of the pile - the RD apps are read in the order they are submitted, even if submitted before the review period begins!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 292 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
And don't forget - submitting an RD application to CBS in October will move it to right at the top of the pile - the RD apps are read in the order they are submitted, even if submitted before the review period begins!

What about Mid-November? Is this still a competitive time to submit?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
The review period for RD begins in January 2009, so even if you submit in October - or November or December, you will be WAY ahead of the masses.

terp06 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
The review period for RD begins in January 2009, so even if you submit in October - or November or December, you will be WAY ahead of the masses.

terp06 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:

Yes, the review period begins in January, but you get a number and your app is read in the order in which it was received. Furthermore, interviews and offers are extended on a rolling basis. This means, they read app 1, they like it, interview app 1, extend offer to app 1, so one less spot is available (if this all happened instantaneously, this spot would effectively be gone immediately before app 2 is even read). Once X number of offers has been extended, people may still receive an interview invite, but they will go straight to the WL if adcom has extended its ideal # of offers at that point. I can speak from experience when saying that I was invited to interview and I crushed it (like getting 10/10, maybe even 11/10 if that's possible), but was ultimately waitlisted. I've even become friends with my interviewer and even went out for drinks with him 2 weeks ago. My feedback from my WL manager was basically that I submitted my app too late and I received the "encourage to reapply" rejection letter when the kicked me off the WL. I'm trying to save others from experiencing the ame fate that I did.

So if you submit in October, you will be waaaaaay ahead of the apps submitted in December. The bottom line is to submit it as early as possible (of course your app needs to be ready). If you can't do so until November, that's fine, you'll be in better shape than people who submit in December or right before the "soft deadline" in January. If you apply in December, you are not way ahead of the game unless you are from a significantly underrepresented minority group (such as Native American female living in Portugal).

I'd be happy to talk about my specific 2007-2008 app experience offline.

My advice, apply as early as you possibly can.

Horse, beaten.
:m16
:beatup
:hammer
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I'll be finishing my rough drafts for Kellogg this weekend. The hard ones are done (3 essays, 2 pgs each) and I just have to finish up shorter 2 essays (2 paragraphs each).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
you guys are all WAY ahead of many of us last year. I didn't take the GMAT until August 3rd and didn't start the application process until mid-August. Only was able to get 3 apps out in R1, since Kellogg's apps were due too early and I didn't want to sacrifice my Stanford app's quality (hindsight says I probably should have).

Good luck y'all! You guys are all super on top of things!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I am on my 7th revision of my Why MBA, Why Now, Short/Long Term Goals outline since that will come up on most apps. Yes, *outline*.

I figured I should perfect this before starting the other outlines since this may be the most important question (and carries on into interviews).
Current Student
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
you guys are all WAY ahead of many of us last year. I didn't take the GMAT until August 3rd and didn't start the application process until mid-August. Only was able to get 3 apps out in R1, since Kellogg's apps were due too early and I didn't want to sacrifice my Stanford app's quality (hindsight says I probably should have).

Good luck y'all! You guys are all super on top of things!

Did you visit all the schools in the fall before R1 or were you smart and got it out of the way in the spring?

I'd like to submit most of my apps in R1, but fitting in a schools visit before R1 is due will be tough for at least 3 of my 5 schools.

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
i wish I was smart enough to get it done in the spring, but I didn't decide to apply until late April. I was still able to visit all my schools. Berkeley starts early and has a late R1 deadline. UCLA was tough, but I found enough students there to show me around 2 weeks before the deadline. I visited Stanford also 2 weeks before their deadline, and Kellogg in November for the R2 deadline (but you can still make it if you go early October when visits start).

If you can't make a visit, I strongly urge you to talk to students and alums and learn about the school's program. This will help you shape your essays that much better.
Current Student
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
i wish I was smart enough to get it done in the spring, but I didn't decide to apply until late April. I was still able to visit all my schools. Berkeley starts early and has a late R1 deadline. UCLA was tough, but I found enough students there to show me around 2 weeks before the deadline. I visited Stanford also 2 weeks before their deadline, and Kellogg in November for the R2 deadline (but you can still make it if you go early October when visits start).

If you can't make a visit, I strongly urge you to talk to students and alums and learn about the school's program. This will help you shape your essays that much better.

I was able to fit in one visit (Tuck) before summer rolled around. But that one doesn't really count, because I'll have to self-initiate an interview before I send in my app anyways.

There are a couple schools with early R1s and I'm not sure if I'll be able to schedule a visit before the deadline.

I've already started contacting current students. A few have been REALLY helpful, very insightful information, others, not so much.

How do you go about contacting alumni? I know Duke has a database of alumni, others don't. Do you just contact admissions with the request?

Thanks,

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
refurb wrote:
How do you go about contacting alumni? I know Duke has a database of alumni, others don't. Do you just contact admissions with the request?

You can often find alums by asking the students of those schools. Many will know alums who have just graduated. Also, the career services people at some schools (like Haas) are willing to refer you to some alums who can talk to you about jobs in your desired industry.
Current Student
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
refurb wrote:

You can often find alums by asking the students of those schools. Many will know alums who have just graduated. Also, the career services people at some schools (like Haas) are willing to refer you to some alums who can talk to you about jobs in your desired industry.

Thanks!!

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Just found out yesterday that my first draft for Columbia were all going toward the wrong directions.... major rewrites coming up this week!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Starting working on my essays. I'm starting with Wharton, they seem to be totally standard. Going to do Chicago and Columbia afterwards since they will be similar (for me). Gonna keep Kellogg and Ross for last. I think that rounds off my list. I hope I can squeeze them all in Round 1 so I can know my fate before xmas lol.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
I'm about 80% of the way to full 1st drafts for MIT. About 15% for HBS.

The most nerve-racking thing - appointment in 3.5 hours to break the B school news to recommenders.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5