Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 19:16 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 19:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink]
I am assuming Yale is trying to make a leap in the rankings.......
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Wow! That's crazy! I think they're going to be way up there with the new US News. I predict top 10 in a few years and steadily staying there or moving up a few more spots when their enrollment gets closer to the 300 mark they've predicted over the next 5-10 years.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
I'm really hoping that Wharton and Chicago's #s don't look like this :(
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
I just had a thought...we shouldn't worry. Most of those scores are going to get cancelled by GMAC :-D

(Maybe not, but I'll tell myself that for now and i'll feel better!)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Impressive. With a large applicant pool and a small class size, it just goes to show that a school like Yale can really control their class stats as they desire...

It is certainly a school dedicated to advancing it's reputation, and I mean that in a positive way 100%.

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Looks like the reason they released these numbers so early was to make sure all the top 10 applicants would not get swayed by last years rankings and to prove that they have a top 10 program and are looking to make that jump. I'd imagine based on that gmat increase alone, they will receive at least a 10% increase in apps.

Also, 95th percentile avg verbal score?? wow
Current Student
Send PM
terp26 wrote:
Looks like the reason they released these numbers so early was to make sure all the top 10 applicants would not get swayed by last years rankings and to prove that they have a top 10 program and are looking to make that jump. I'd imagine based on that gmat increase alone, they will receive at least a 10% increase in apps.

Don't you think the higher GMAT score could actually be a deterrent for the many applicants that use Yale as a backup to the M7. A 720 GMAT average does not make for a very good backup.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
These numbers are insane...sigh. Yale is my number 1 choice, but it's at a point where I'm really starting to wonder if my efforts may be better spent on another school.

I think I need to stop coming to these message boards and just bury my head in the sand. Yes I'll remain ignorant, but at least I'll still have my sanity :lol:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
terp26 wrote:

Don't you think the higher GMAT score could actually be a deterrent for the many applicants that use Yale as a backup to the M7. A 720 GMAT average does not make for a very good backup.

Well, in terms of rankings, Yale would rank very high in avg gmat. But in terms of a chance of being accepted for the avg applicant who wants to use Yale SOM as a backup, an increase in 10 pts, 20 pts, even 30pts will probably not deter those who probably already have a score in the low 700s.

So, it's not a loss for Yale to raise the avg gmat score of their class profile.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I heard a rumor that Yale's very low acceptance rate comes from their unusually high percentage of Asian/Indian applicants who apply simply because of the "Yale brand". Has anybody else read anything similar?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
I heard a rumor that Yale's very low acceptance rate comes from their unusually high percentage of Asian/Indian applicants who apply simply because of the "Yale brand". Has anybody else read anything similar?

My thought was that Yale wants to move up the rankings. So, they artificially decreased their acceptance rate by decreasing class size. If you remember, they gave some of their admits a 50% tuition credit for deferring one year.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Send PM
raabenb wrote:

I have not heard that before, but it makes sense for a few percentage points at least.

Yale has a really low acceptance rate...but isn't their yield exceptionally low as well?
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
This GMAT statistic has made me more depressed than when I sat through an entire Radiohead album.....
Current Student
Send PM
By the time my app makes it to the adcoms desk my 740 will be the average. So much for using my GMAT to make up for a medicore GPA
SVP
SVP
Send PM
raabenb wrote:
This GMAT statistic has made me more depressed than when I sat through an entire Radiohead album.....

You needn't worry. There are several possibilities. They might be accepting more people with super high gmats. meaning, rather than take the 760, they take enough 780+

Or, they could just be cutting out the low scorers who bring the avg down. There are several possibilities that would explain how a 700 applicant will not be affected.
VP
VP
 Q47  V42
Send PM
If it makes sense, one of the motivations I have to apply, aside from it being a great school with great placement in different fields, and that they have brought in quality professors, is that they're going to be going up in rankings almost certainly.

Is it wrong to want to be one of the first people on board before/while it is going up ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
jallenmorris wrote:
If it makes sense, one of the motivations I have to apply, aside from it being a great school with great placement in different fields, and that they have brought in quality professors, is that they're going to be going up in rankings almost certainly.

Is it wrong to want to be one of the first people on board before/while it is going up ?

buy low, sell high.

It probably doesn't hurt to have Yale on your resume.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6