It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 13:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 607 [0], given: 32

Schools: Hard Knocks
Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 11:34
Some have told me that for what I want to do, a top MBA isn't necessary.

kidderek wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
If it makes sense, one of the motivations I have to apply, aside from it being a great school with great placement in different fields, and that they have brought in quality professors, is that they're going to be going up in rankings almost certainly.

Is it wrong to want to be one of the first people on board before/while it is going up ?

buy low, sell high.

It probably doesn't hurt to have Yale on your resume.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 11:44
jallenmorris wrote:
Some have told me that for what I want to do, a top MBA isn't necessary.

kidderek wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
If it makes sense, one of the motivations I have to apply, aside from it being a great school with great placement in different fields, and that they have brought in quality professors, is that they're going to be going up in rankings almost certainly.

Is it wrong to want to be one of the first people on board before/while it is going up ?

buy low, sell high.

It probably doesn't hurt to have Yale on your resume.

That's considering that what you want to do, you'll want to do forever. In a perfect world, you'll be happy with what you do, and that you'll make a good chunk of change doing it for your life.

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:10
Basing this on my desired goal of going into the energy industry. One would think you wouldnt need a top MBA to get in because its not a popular one for MBAs and often people work their way up the ladder slowly over the years. However, judging by the people I have talked to at schools and companies...since companies dont recruit heavily and only hire a handful of MBAs a year they typically cherry pick from top schools. Many people have prior experience or at least something that relates to what they will do for the company. The people who arent from top tier schools are often from the regional powerhouses near where the companies are located.

I think having a great brand name will always help you. You may not think you need it but I would say it definitely will help in the long run. Remember half the reason companies recruit at the top schools is because the students have been prescreened and they know they are going to get the highest quality candidates. Its better to be so so student at a top 5 than the top student at a school ranked in the 20s

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Kudos [?]: 761 [0], given: 5

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 16

Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:25
I have heard this before since for a lot of Internationals the overall reputation of the University is also very important. Yale/harvard/Princeton/Stanford are amongst the best known schools in the world. So the brand carries even if Yale has never really had a 'stupendous MBA program'

raabenb wrote:
I heard a rumor that Yale's very low acceptance rate comes from their unusually high percentage of Asian/Indian applicants who apply simply because of the "Yale brand". Has anybody else read anything similar?

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:33
sm332 wrote:
...even if Yale has never really had a 'stupendous MBA program'

I think they've always had a good program, but it's so much about marketing once you get to the top level for the program. There are so many variables, and that GMAT average score is easily quantifiable so it stands out and helps ranking. It will be interesting to see just how far up in jumps.

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Current Student

Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:48
mate ... i am not suggesting their program was/is shabby ... just that one would never confuse theirs with the M7.

As far as a lot of it being about marketing ... I dont think there is an argument there from anyone.

jallenmorris wrote:
sm332 wrote:
...even if Yale has never really had a 'stupendous MBA program'

I think they've always had a good program, but it's so much about marketing once you get to the top level for the program. There are so many variables, and that GMAT average score is easily quantifiable so it stands out and helps ranking. It will be interesting to see just how far up in jumps.

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:49
I predict within 5 years Yale will be an M7 school.

J Allen Morris

Current Student

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:52
and you might be right ...

jallenmorris wrote:

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:54
Yale will not reach the M7 level. It's going to end up on the same tier as Tuck and Haas - consistent Top 10s that are a small notch below the M7.

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:56
They just seem to be dead set on achieve that or at least close to it! I hope they do unless I attend a school that is knocked out of the M7 replaced by Yale!

I put Tuck on the cusp of UE. It's #7 in the US News ranking which is awesome for a school in a town in the middle of nowhere with population of 8,000.

J Allen Morris

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Schools: MIT

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:57
I think they might be of the same (or close) caliber as the M7's (along with Tuck and Haas)...but the problem is, one of the M7 schools would have to be displaced. And I don't know how realistic of a possibility that is.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

SVP
SVP

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:59
Does anyone know of a way to look at historical rankings? I know Harvard used to be down around #4 or #5. I would like to see the movement of schools in / out of the top 10, or top 7.

J Allen Morris

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 13:31
About 2-3 current Yale SOM students that I have spoken to about this subject have all said that they don't believe that Yale is going to jeopardize its core philosophy/culture to rise in the rankings (they were 100% adamant about this). So while we do see a rise in avg GMAT score, I wouldn't count on the class to be filled with 750+ cutthroat engineers/IT guys lacking any social skills anytime soon. Point being, if you can demonstrate how you fit the Yale mold (this is still incredibly important with this school), and have demonstrated a good quant foundation, you're probably going to be ok. This is what I keep telling myself at least :lol:

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Schools: Tuck

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:06
sm332 wrote:
So the brand carries even if Yale has never really had a 'stupendous MBA program'

This is VERY true in the non-finance world. For example, how many people in the biotech sector follow BW's School ranking? Very few.

The Yale name carries a lot of weight.

On another note, a friend of mine got accepted at Yale this year with a 690 GMAT, 3.1 GPA and good (but not outstanding) ECs. His work experience is a little unique, but not outstanding either.

RF

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 6

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:16
VictoryMBA wrote:
About 2-3 current Yale SOM students that I have spoken to about this subject have all said that they don't believe that Yale is going to jeopardize its core philosophy/culture to rise in the rankings (they were 100% adamant about this). So while we do see a rise in avg GMAT score, I wouldn't count on the class to be filled with 750+ cutthroat engineers/IT guys lacking any social skills anytime soon. Point being, if you can demonstrate how you fit the Yale mold (this is still incredibly important with this school), and have demonstrated a good quant foundation, you're probably going to be ok. This is what I keep telling myself at least :lol:

:lol: 750+ Indian IT guy here, and know many more like me. Just wanted to mention since it came up here, we probably need to give up the thought that IT guys with 750+ GMAT lack social skills.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 29

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:23
Um, did anybody else find this comment totally awkward and socially unacceptable???? :P

mbavacation wrote:
:lol: 750+ Indian IT guy here, and know many more like me. Just wanted to mention since it came up here, we probably need to give up the thought that IT guys with 750+ GMAT lack social skills.

"George is getting upset!"

Last edited by Raabend on 28 Jul 2008, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Director
Director

Schools: Cornell '11

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:28
So who thinks other schools will have as large a bounce???

"George is getting upset!"

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:53
jallenmorris, I present to you this wonderful thread compiled by river and kwam.

Rankings Down the Years
103-t62015

To think that in the early 2000s, Chicago GSB was ranked in the lower top 10, BELOW Haas for 3 different years on US News. This kind of shows that our view of H/S/W being the unshakable top-3 and the M7 notion will be just as transient as the historical rankings.

I foresee Yale becoming a "M10" school along with Tuck and Haas. What's hurting Haas, Tuck, and Yale is their small class sizes. Once Yale reaches the 300 mark, Haas gets a new building and also increases to 300, and Tuck maybe expanding (any rumors?), then there just may be a solid "M10" where the rankings within don't mean much.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 14

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:55
kryzak wrote:
jallenmorris, I present to you this wonderful thread compiled by river and kwam.

Rankings Down the Years
103-t62015

To think that in the early 2000s, Chicago GSB was ranked in the lower top 10, BELOW Haas for 3 different years on US News. This kind of shows that our view of H/S/W being the unshakable top-3 and the M7 notion will be just as transient as the historical rankings.

I foresee Yale becoming a "M10" school along with Tuck and Haas. What's hurting Haas, Tuck, and Yale is their small class sizes. Once Yale reaches the 300 mark, Haas gets a new building and also increases to 300, and Tuck maybe expanding (any rumors?), then there just may be a solid "M10" where the rankings within don't mean much.

Tuck is expanding their facilities and faculty but has no intention of increasing class size. They want to stay small in that regard.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Kudos [?]: 211 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2008, 15:47
jallenmorris wrote:

100% agree, especially after the new building.

Lanter 1

"Lunch is for wimps."

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Yale SOM's average GMAT goes WAY up   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2008, 15:47

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 107 posts ]