Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 18:01 It is currently 03 May 2024, 18:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia Applicants for 2009! [#permalink]
Kudos
Hey Solaris,

Thanks for the link! I love reading any and everything CBS-related that I can find. Here's a gem for you if you haven't seen it before. Here is the link to last year's spreadsheet of BusinessWeek CBS early decision applicants. It has stats and dates on the vast majority of CBS ED 2008 applicants from BusinessWeek forums. Thanks to ChristopherW for compiling this. I recommend exporting the google spreadsheet into Excel and then doing an auto-filter on the row of categories. You can decipher many interesting trends and this is why I expect the earliest interview invites to come around Sept. 10-15 this year.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... l=en&pli=1

As for when I press that "submit" button, I like to think that I'm one of the first ten apps in their pile :P
VP
VP
TienyChesney wrote:
As for when I press that "submit" button, I like to think that I'm one of the first ten apps in their pile :P

You're through already? No way, I'm not going to let my enthusiasm for CBS be overshadowed by yours. Now I'm totally pulling all-nighters all week next week to finish before the holiday weekend. I'm kidding of course, congratulations!

I hope you and ryguy will be the first admits of the season at GMATClub.

EDIT -- ugh that's a cool spreadsheet, but it doesn't import very well into OpenOffice. I'm going to wait for someone a little less quantitatively challenged to provide us with a synopsis of what's on there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Any input on whether essay 3 needs to be professional or non-professional?

Since all other essays are professional related, i was thinking about a non-professional for essay 3.

Essay 4 could be a personal essay.

Thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
mlchang616 wrote:

Since all other essays are professional related, i was thinking about a non-professional for essay 3.

Thoughts?

Essay 4, I hope you mean the optional essay.

I thought, essay 2 can be from outside of your profession. Now you got me worried :(
VP
VP
Not to worry filmcity, my essay 2 is based on a somewhat cool personal anecdote. Essay 1 is really the only one which must be "professional" but it's probably a good idea to keep one of the other two essays focused on work.

filmcity wrote:
mlchang616 wrote:

Thoughts?

Essay 4, I hope you mean the optional essay.

I thought, essay 2 can be from outside of your profession. Now you got me worried :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Don't think it matters...
Though CBS places very little emphasis on extracurriculars, it is OK to include something that's not professional.
With that said, I do think essay 2&3 are more likely to be situations arise at work.
VP
VP
Alright guys, help!

Anyone know if I can resend the Columbia Recommendation Request to my recommender's e-mail by simply checking off that "send" button on the application again?

Or do I have to call admissions to arrange for that?

EDIT - Nevermind I figured this out. Checking off that "send" box does indeed resend the Recommendation Request.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
TienyChesney wrote:
DJhouse,

I hope your orientation is as sweet as the stories! How is the "talent" in the upcoming class? ;) On a serious note though, how long is Orientation? 3 days? 1 week? 2 weeks? Do they have activities from morning to night or are their built in breaks?

Also, I remember in your Ambassador thread, you reported that most CBS students live on the Upper West Side. Can you comment on which range of streets is the most popular? (90s, 80s, 70s, 100s) I know Linda Meehan said in an online chat that the majority of CBS students live within 10 blocks of campus (I assume this is because all internationals get campus housing)... what housing trends have you noticed with your current class? Thanks and I hope you're living it up!

djhouse81 wrote:
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.

Orientation has been excellent and tiring, as I've said. It lasts 2 weeks, and the first week is by the far the most hectic with school stuff during the day and partying at night. But all throughout you get to meet your wonderful classmates in an academic and social setting. It's great! Who wouldn't want that?!?! The second week (this week) is going to be a little more low key with actual classes starting up and some optional review sessions. However, there's no doubt in my mind that there will be nightly activities.

The housing trends this year seem to be a concentration around the 80's to 100's, but this is just a representation of my friends. There are plenty of people in above 120th. As you get below the 80's it starts to thin out. But, like I said, there are people everywhere. There is no dearth of students living further afield. In my learning team I have people who live in university housing, Brooklyn, UWS, and Midtown. It spans the city. You just have to find a place that suits your needs (as well as those of your significant other, if that is the case). It does not really get more specific with regards to housing.
Current Student
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
mashi wrote:
For completing the app. I'm still struggling to select my recommenders.

Columbia specified 8 questions for recommenders to answer, I envision at least 1 paragraph per question, that will make the letter about two pages. Do you know how long the recommendation letter should be? 1page, 2 pages or 3+pages?

I can't imagine 3 pages. My recommender said his CBS rec was 1.5 pages.

To put things in perspective, Wharton has 9 rec questions and clearly instructs recommenders to submit only a ONE PAGE document for the rec.

Wharton actually says that reccomenders will typically write 2-3 pages (not one).

From Wharton website:https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admissions/apply/preparing.cfm

"Useful recommendation letters are usually two to three pages long."

Even though I'm not applying to Wharton I used this as a guideline when I prepped my reccomenders. Both my CBS reccomenders said their recs were 2.5-3 pages.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Yeah, I was just pointing out their instructions in the application regarding rec letter lengths. I doubt there would be a penalty if the rec was 2 pages or so.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi DJhouse,

Thanks for the housing update. Good to hear that West 80s is a viable option. I definitely want to be around a decent concentration of other students but don't want to be in 90s or 100s. Looks like I'll be in the West 80s or Morningside Heights (around 110s) itself. Assuming I'm admitted that is :P

I'm glad that you're living it up these two weeks. We all envy you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
1) Is there a separate post for J-Term? I ran a quick search and did not see one. I have to imagine that quite a few January start offers have gone out and we'll have enough data for a decent statistical base.

2) Does anyone know how much emphasis CBS places on fit/interest in the program? I applied J-Term and haven't heard back yet. My GPA is above CBS's average, GMAT is achilles heel (690, driven by Q<80th percentile) but I am not a career changer and have fit and expressed interest in their value investing program. My WE is quantitative (Currently am an investment associate at a large HF, M&A and valuation experience, CFA charterholder, CPA) plus one of my recommenders is a CBS alum who knows me and my work well so I'm hoping that will make up for my flub on the exam.

This site is great- I wish I would have discovered it earlier.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
soma80 wrote:
1) Is there a separate post for J-Term? I ran a quick search and did not see one. I have to imagine that quite a few January start offers have gone out and we'll have enough data for a decent statistical base.

2) Does anyone know how much emphasis CBS places on fit/interest in the program? I applied J-Term and haven't heard back yet. My GPA is above CBS's average, GMAT is achilles heel (690, driven by Q<80th percentile) but I am not a career changer and have fit and expressed interest in their value investing program. My WE is quantitative (Currently am an investment associate at a large HF, M&A and valuation experience, CFA charterholder, CPA) plus one of my recommenders is a CBS alum who knows me and my work well so I'm hoping that will make up for my flub on the exam.

This site is great- I wish I would have discovered it earlier.

So, your essays were good too?
Current Student
Send PM
I submitted my Columbia app this morning
VP
VP
nice work, IHateTheGMAT. You're the 3rd person on this thread to confirm submission. What school's next?
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
nice work, IHateTheGMAT. You're the 3rd person on this thread to confirm submission. What school's next?

I'm about halfway through my Tuck essays. Then it's on to Cornell.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
I submitted my Columbia app this morning

Well done mate!
GMAT Club Bot