Last visit was: 24 May 2024, 21:32 It is currently 24 May 2024, 21:32
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Re: Some last year admission stats from admissions411 [#permalink]
Ahh, the days of over-analyzing the data at admissions411 - a sure mark that people are getting really anxious. Very nice job aggregating the data - definitely a lot of hard work. Even though the data is self-reported, you can start to see some interesting trends.

Has Stanford really not admitted anyone (again, self-reported) over the age of 30? Of the 49 data points, 23 dinged and 26 unknown...WOW! And look at Harvard and Stanford. Substantially different average ages reporting admits compared with both their overall application pools and with other schools, and sharply lower admit rates with each older age group. Pretty staggering actually. If you're over 30 you're just about dead to them.

Lowest average GMAT for admits seems to be at NYU by a statistically relevant margin (as much as self-reported statistics can be relevant). Guess the opportunity to head to NY and getting access to all those Wall Street jobs has lost some allure; or perhaps New Yorkers joining the b-school fray want to get away from the despair there.

Admit rates are higher for women than men at every school except for UCLA - wonder what's going on there. Also, check out the differences at MIT & Wharton, approaching 3x higher admit rates for women.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks pelihu,

Yes, the waiting is killing! Cannot sleep, cannot enjoy the weekend etc. :?

As for the data - I also made the same notes as you. H and S definitely are not an oldie-friendly. And as for UCLA f/m ratio - Kellog has almost the same issue. Btw, I think there is a plausible explanation - see below.

Here are some findings in more detail (sorry for the long post):

1. Toughest US Schools to Get Into
Admit rates are calculated according to the info on admissions411 and are NOT official.
1. Stanford (10.0%)
2. Harvard (12.9%)
3. Wharton (15.9%)
4-5. Berkeley Haas (17.2%)
4-5. MIT Sloan (18.0%)
6. Columbia (22.5%)
7-8. Yale (26.2%)
7-8. Dartmouth Tuck (26.3%)
9-10. UCLA Anderson (28.2%)
9-10. NW Kellogg (28.6%)
11. NYU Stern (30.5%)
12. Chicago GSB (33.6%)
13. Virginia Darden (36.2%)
14. Cornell (38.8%)
15. Duke Fuqua (45.3%)
16. Michigan Ross (51.1%)

2. Schools Which Do Not Like Oldies:
For some schools, the classification was rather subjective… But not for H and S. I agree with pelihu. If you are over 30, you are dead :(

Almost Impossible to Get Into:
Stanford
Harvard

Might Let You In:
Kellogg
NYU Stern
UCLA Anderson
Yale
Dartmouth Tuck (not as oldie-friendly as I used to believe)

Rather Decent Chance for Oldies:
Wharton
Chicago
MIT
Columbia
Berkeley Haas
Duke Fuqua
Michigan
Darden Virginia (though less than people tend to believe…)
Cornell

Overall, once you’ve turned 28, your chances begin to diminish. Those 30+ are at disadvantage even in comparatively oldies-friendly schools.

3. Assorted Theories verified:
‘Wharton sees no difference between 720 and 770’

Wharton GMAT stats:

GMAT N Admitted Admit %
Good (710-730) 16 13,1%
High (740-760) 24 18,3%
Very High (>760) 9 17,6%

Well, technically there is a mild difference, but it is indeed not as pronounced as for, say, Stanford:

Stanford GMAT stats:
GMAT N Admitted Admit %
Average (680-700) 3 5,9%
Good (710-730) 8 8,2%
High (740-760) 10 9,9%
Very High (>760) 9 18,8%

So the statement is true, I think. Although, it definitely matters who exactly has this GMAT in question… no surprise here.

Wharton Ethnicity stats:
N Admitted Admit %
Caucasian 27 15,9%
Indian+Ind.American 1 1,4%
Asian+As.American 15 20,3%
Others or Unknown 18 25,7%

Well, in fact there were 3 Indians admitted, not 1, but as I excluded no-GMAT entries, there is only 1 in the table.

4. Assorted Theories verified:
‘Kellogg is a girlie school’

More of an image thing, but it has interesting consequences. ‘Soft’ Kellogg image makes the school more appealing to females, so they apply there more – and that, as you can imagine, leads to the increasing competition between them. As a result, Kellogg’s admit rate for females is no better than that for males, while at the majority of other Top schools female applicants have better chances than male applicants:

Kellogg Gender stats:
_______________N Admitted___Admit %
Female_____________22________28,9%
Male_______________69________28,5%

Gender stats for all Top 15 (including Kellogg):
________________N Admitted___Admit %
Female____________263______32,6%
Male______________629______22,8%

The only other Top school that seems to have no preference for girls is UCLA:

UCLA Gender stats:
________________N Admitted___Admit %
Female___________8_____________21,1%
Male_____________32____________30,8%

However, there were fewer entries for UCLA, so these stats might be not that accurate.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
wow thanks so much for putting this together! It's still good to see trends!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I'd be careful drawing too many conclusions from that data.

For example, only 61 reported accepts for Wharton. Considering the class is ~800 in size and the yield rate is ~70%, that's only a 5% sample and not a very random one.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
thanks for the effort +1
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:
I'd be careful drawing too many conclusions from that data.
For example, only 61 reported accepts for Wharton. Considering the class is ~800 in size and the yield rate is ~70%, that's only a 5% sample and not a very random one.
RF

I completely agree with you, refurb, and I included the note about the data being non representative in my first post. So this info is just for general interest, but not for those seeking The Great Admission Truth :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
+1! Great job and interesting analysis!

I'm just a bit depressed to find out I'll be as good as dead within less than a year.... :shock:
Current Student
Send PM
greenoak wrote:
I completely agree with you, refurb, and I included the note about the data being non representative in my first post. So this info is just for general interest, but not for those seeking The Great Admission Truth :)

Good job collating all that data.

Obviously the data does support some of the stereotypes of various schools (Havard like 'em young).

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
I've always been wary of the data on admissions411. For one thing the data points are so few that its really hard to draw conclusions about acceptance rates, etc.

Also, the data is a little acceptance-heavy, and its also indian-applicant-heavy. As someone of Indian decent, I know people who went to almost all of these B-schools, but admissions411 would have you believe that its nearly impossible for me to get in. I understand that many of the Indian applicants are IT/Software people so they're fighting over a handful of spots, but I also think that the data on this website is going to be focused around people who find it necessary to forecast their chances to get in, so it lends itself to the Indian IT crowd being over-represented on admissions411.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
so from what i see, if you are a female, below the age of 25 and have an avg gmat score, you are more likely to get into an Ultra-Elite than a White Caucasian male over the age of 29 with a very high gmat score...and no wonder our economy is totally F--ed up..cause all these 25 years old who have no clue on how to run companies..get to hbs and become my boss..

not to be sexiest, just find it weird that we have compromised too much on merit for gender equality...maybe it has to do with that most of the adcom are women???
Current Student
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
not to be sexiest, just find it weird that we have compromised too much on merit for gender equality...maybe it has to do with that most of the adcom are women???

This is gonna be interesting!! :)

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 643 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
refurb wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

RF

you know what i am tired of being politically correct..what happened to saying it as it is..
Current Student
 Q51  V42
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
so from what i see, if you are a female, below the age of 25 and have an avg gmat score, you are more likely to get into an Ultra-Elite than a White Caucasian male over the age of 29 with a very high gmat score...and no wonder our economy is totally F--ed up..cause all these 25 years old who have no clue on how to run companies..get to hbs and become my boss..

From what I've heard, the rise in applications is attributable to more female and international applicants, so honestly, the admissions crunch is going to be felt most by those groups. The AdComs don't have to accept just anybody just to get the diversity they want. The bar is rising faster for them.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V42
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:

Yes, females seems to have advantage. But I wouldn't say that the admission systems is biased against males. Schools try to keep their m to f ratio somewhere between 3:1 and 2:1. So far, m to f ratio among applicants was in general higher than 3:1. But situation is slowly changing. In some schools females already don't have an advantage (see my post about Kellogg). And I can see the situation when the increased desire of females to apply will in fact put them in a less favourable position. I see Balki1867 has already commented on that.

As for H&S trend to prefer younger applicants - I guess this is what market demands. "Take them young, shape them as you need, use them as you want". This 2+2 program seems to be completely within this philosophy. Don't want to start a discussion here, but such a policy makes me wonder sometimes. I know, Harvard is all about leadership, but it seems they mainly aim at nurturing people who will most likely be at the top positions within the existed system, and not real innovators. This is just IMHO, of course.

Virflo wrote:
I'm just a bit depressed to find out I'll be as good as dead within less than a year....

Don't worry Virflo! I'm already dead and still posting here, as you see! :wink:
Also, European schools still tend to value mature applicants. Average age in Oxford is 29, in Cambridge 30 (I believe), in Cranfield even higher. IMD is also oldie-friendly. INSEAD seems to admit a decent number of 28+ as well. LBS trends younger, though.
Current Student
 Q51  V42
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
not to be sexiest, just ...

I'm not usually one to gloat, but I already claimed this title, so you don't need to worry ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Thank you very compiling this, greenoak! Kudos.

fresinha12 wrote:

I don't know....do you also think that most of the adcom are 24 years old and hail from underrepresented minority groups?

I'm female (as evidenced by my forum name), and there's no use in arguing that females may have a lower burden to get into school, much like any other minority groups. However I do think that the top schools, particularly "super seven" or so, have more than enough candidates that they're able to choose people who are more than qualified to do the work. The rest of the effort goes into choosing a diverse class. And if these schools are going to ignore "gender equality"...well then maybe some of them are going to end up with a 90% male class (exaggerating a bit here I know)...how many males do you know the following year who are going to apply to that school? And find it an attractive place to spend 2 years of their lives?
Current Student
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
refurb wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

RF

you know what i am tired of being politically correct..what happened to saying it as it is..

I'm not saying your comment is right or wrong, but I'm just imaging the sh!t storm it will generate.

It does appear that women have a easier time getting into the b-school. However! If you noticed the percentage of women admitted each year does vary and my guess is that schools would love to have 50% of their students women, but they don't. Why?

Well, I think schools are willing to give a little to get the number of women up, but they aren't willing to let in unqualified students either.

I don't mind because I would hate to go to b-school and not have lots of women around.
:wink:

RF
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3