Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 09:28 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: What are my chances? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mliu1024 wrote:
I am a Chinese American and I would like to know how big a stretch it is for me to apply to these tops schools:

Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, Hass, Stern and Tepper.

Academic background:

University of Washington
Two BS degrees: Electrical Engingeering and Economics
Minor in Math
GPA: 3.52
Dean's List for 6 quarters
Participated in various students assoications. ( no position held)

Professional Experience:

Senior Design Engineer
4 yrs at Intel Corporation with 2 promotions.
Have worked in various divisions within the company: desktop, mobile and eneterprise.
First-year - Intel Rotation Engineers Program - a Leadership program founded by CEO

GMAT:
First attempt: 610 M:48 V:26
Second attemp: 660 M:50 V:29

Extracurricular activities:

Volunteered in June and July for 4-6hrs/week as a math tutor at the Opportunities Industrialiation Ceneter West.

I plan to retake the GMAT again in late September or in Mid October. But lets say if I do not score 680 or above on my next attempt....should I even consider applying to these schools???

Thank you very much.

Michael

Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, Hass, Stern and Tepper.

Obviously, it's your verbal score that is the problem, not your quant. If you get a 680 or above or move to around 80% on the verbal, you will have a competitive chance at all the schools. Even with the current score, you have a competitive profile for CMU Tepper. With your current score, however, the other schools besides Tepper are stretch schools.

For more information, please see "MBA Admissions: Low GPA or GMAT."
Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Linda,

Thank you for the reply. I wonder if I take GMAT again, how would it affect my profile because it would be my third try.

In addition, if I can't improve my verbal score to 80%, can't I use my essays to show my verbal competancy? Or is it an automatic rejection if I don't score 680 or above?

Thank you.

Michael
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Three administrations should be fine since schools expect students to maximize their scores on the test. However, it would be good idea to make the third admin. the last.

Scores below 680 are certainly not automatic rejects. However, a score of 660 is near the far left tail for most of the elite and ultraelite schools. On the plus side, the nominal GPA you cited exceeds the nominal GPA mean of most elite schools.

You might want to consider some of the transelites as well.

Hjort
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
mliu1024 wrote:
Linda,

Thank you for the reply. I wonder if I take GMAT again, how would it affect my profile because it would be my third try.

In addition, if I can't improve my verbal score to 80%, can't I use my essays to show my verbal competancy? Or is it an automatic rejection if I don't score 680 or above?

Thank you.

Michael

A higher GMAT on the third try is better than a lower GMAT on the second try. Schools don't penalize for multiple GMATs.

Your essays (and interviews) certainly can demonstrate fluency in English. But the schools have a comfort level at 80%. Now keep in mind that the 80% figure is not set in concrete; it is a comfort level. So if you write articulate essays and interview well, then you will be combatting the low verbal. But if that verbal score goes much below 70%, it is an obstacle and hurdle to overcome.

680 is also not a cut-off. But considering your demographic, if you drop much below that level you will quickly become less competitive when compared to others with a similar background.

Use the GMAT to prove you "qualify," then use your essays to show why you should be admitted.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What about schools such as Cornell and Michigan? [#permalink]
Is my GMAT score good enough for these schools?
Thanks
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

For Cornell and Michigan a 660 is just to the left of the mean.

Have you considered USC(Marshall) and UNC?

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
No. I have not considered USC and UNC.

I want to schools that have really good finance programs. So that's why I am considering Wharton, Columbia, Chicago, NYU and Berkeley.

Michael
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

Assuming that the your primary selection criterion is a strong program in finance, your current list is highly underinclusive.

I can gladly name other strong programs if you desire.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yes I understand that the list is underinclusive. I only mentioned those schools just to convey my point.

Btw, do you know if I apply to seven schools, how would it affect my profile?

Thank you.

Michael
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not to beat a dead horse, but I understand that these were examples. That is why I included USC supra because it has a strong program in finance. Far too many applicants confuse a school's general rep and its domain specific reputation- this is hardly a crime but it can easily lead to suboptimal portfolios.

Applying to additional schools almost certainly decreases the chance of zero acceptances in the applicant's portfolio of strong schools. Since schools have little idea of which other schools one is applying to, additional applications have virtually no effect on the decision of any one school.

Hjort
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]