Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 01:23 It is currently 03 May 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
zhl226 wrote:
Thanks for posting your thoughts about the essay topcis. It really helps us 2nd rounders to think about how to add to what we have written down so far.

Did anyone do this essay topic:
"4A - Describe a time when you had to motivate a reluctant individual or group."

I am having a bit of trouble fitting my story about motivation into the image I am trying to project. Sure I have to convince poeple to do stuff in my everyday job, but what does it really say about me? I am just doing my job...and making people see my point.

I described a situation where a former manager screwed up, and I had to step in and assume his position and motivate the team because his lack of strategy in the beginning part of the project made the team become stagnant.
It's not really convincing people to do their job, but showing and motivating people how to enjoy their job and help them strive to do more and be better employees/people overall.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Do u work as a motivational speaker? If u dont, then u r doing something above and beyond wht is required of u. Just explain that and u ll be fine.

zhl226 wrote:
Thanks for posting your thoughts about the essay topcis. It really helps us 2nd rounders to think about how to add to what we have written down so far.

"4A - Describe a time when you had to motivate a reluctant individual or group."

I am having a bit of trouble fitting my story about motivation into the image I am trying to project. Sure I have to convince poeple to do stuff in my everyday job, but what does it really say about me? I am just doing my job...and making people see my point.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Does Kellogg have anything similar to a learning team type setup wharton has?

also, is any current kellogg student in the SEEK program? I am looking for some insight into this program.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
traffix wrote:
Do u work as a motivational speaker? If u dont, then u r doing something above and beyond wht is required of u. Just explain that and u ll be fine.

zhl226 wrote:

I didn't answer this specific question, but I think it's important to focus a lot on how you convinced the relucant person/group to go along with your idea. During my interview, one of the questions they asked was how I dealt with someone who disagreed with me or wasn't pulling their weight on a team. I think this essay question is getting at that same idea - to see how you interact with others on a team when things aren't going as well as they could.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
Does Kellogg have anything similar to a learning team type setup wharton has?

also, is any current kellogg student in the SEEK program? I am looking for some insight into this program.

There is no group the size of 6 that is setup like the learning team at Wharton or your core team at Sloan.

Nearly every single class you take at Kellogg will have a team component. In the core classes your teams are assigned (usually 4-5 people). In elective classes, you choose your teams.

I like this model myself - it gives you the opportunity to work closely with several different groups. This quarter I was able to really bond with my M-Lab team, in addition to my core class teams, my Marketing Competition team, and the other members of DAK Exec.

As for more formalized groups - Kellogg bonding revolves around two units: you KWEST trip and your section. The bonds with your KWEST trip are the first you form and often last the longest (surveys of alumni have shown that this is the group of people you are closest with 5 years out of school). CIM (i.e. orientation) really gets the sections to bond very closely as well. The combination of KWEST and CIM as a full 3 week orientation before classes start (including the pre-term leadership class) is a real differentiator for Kellogg - enabling the uniquely tight culture that exists at Kellogg.

If you have any questions more specifically, feel free to PM me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
great discussion on question 2. i'm hoping we can have a similar one with #3 - Describe your key leadership experiences and evaluate what leadership areas you hope to develop through your MBA experience.

how did you approach #1 (career progress and why mba) versus #3? did you stay away from talking about leadership as part of the career progress, or was it brief mentions but elaborated on #3? or maybe they don't overlap at all? i've just started on kellogg, so all 3 questions seem to overlap. if anyone has guidance on how to think about them differently, that would be awesome.

thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Quote:

Yup I did that one. I spoke about a time when I had a lousy analyst, helped her grow/become better. I think the key there is to really speak about how you motivated someone, the successful end result is a given. So did you have a plan? Seek advice? Try different things? Describe it.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
peaceyall wrote:
great discussion on question 2. i'm hoping we can have a similar one with #3 - Describe your key leadership experiences and evaluate what leadership areas you hope to develop through your MBA experience.

how did you approach #1 (career progress and why mba) versus #3? did you stay away from talking about leadership as part of the career progress, or was it brief mentions but elaborated on #3? or maybe they don't overlap at all? i've just started on kellogg, so all 3 questions seem to overlap. if anyone has guidance on how to think about them differently, that would be awesome.

thanks!

The way I differentiated #1 and #3: For the "assess your career progress" part of #1, I focused on why I've chosen the jobs I've had, what I've learned from those positions and how the skills and knowledge I developed will help me in my future career plans. For #3 I focused specifically on a leadership example, why I think I was successful as a leader in that example, and what I learned about myself as a leader. Then I talked about how Kellogg would help me to develop further as a leader, mentioning specific classes/programs I thought would be most beneficial.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: venture capital
Send PM
peaceyall wrote:

thanks!

I used this essay to discuss 2 specific examples of leadership, so that I could highlight 2 different leadership styles. Actually in my interview they asked for leadership example and i answered with a thought leadership answer and she probed me for another where it was a more classic example. I think they want to see that you can lead in different ways and can think about different types of leaders. For career goals I wrote it almost conversational, brief description of my background and what lead to my decisions for each position then I focused on what i want to do, and how and MBA (particularly Kellogg) would get me there. Didn't really discuss leadership. I used the Unique essay (what do you bring to Kellogg) to talk about my teamwork abilities. I tied in unique attributes of EC and volunteer work and how they made me a team player. A good outline I was told, and seemed to work for me is Career Goals, stick with what it is. Leadership address in leadership essay and Teamwork address in Unique essay. I also talked about teamwork in the essay what others admire about you, and leadership in the motivational essay. As long as you address your teamwork and leadership abilities at some point I think your good.
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
peaceyall wrote:

thanks!

Essay one, I briefly touched upon leadership roles but focused on the why MBA, current functional skills, what I want to acquire and why now. Essay three I went more in-depth on my leadership roles, focusing on three specific examples of leadership and what leadership skills I hope to acquire at kellogg - including how I would acquire them at kellogg.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
I am approaching essay 4a as a mistake essay, basically i had failed to convince someone to undertake an initiative i was pushing, i learned some valuable lessons from this and have successfully applied those to new endavours..

kind of took my "what have you learned from a mistake" essay..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to the forum, and have been a quiet observer up until now, but wanted to join the convo on Kellogg. I am one of the R1 applicants still holding out for an admit call in these last few weeks. Good luck to the rest of you in the same boat! Here's hoping for some good news tomorrow ...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Count me in for round 2 (one-year program). I'm pretty far along in completing all of my essays! Good luck everyone and congrats to all those who got in!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
You could count me in for Round 2, if Embark hadn't just erased all of my Part 1! What the heck? I made it to the Inspector, it said everything was good, so I decided to double check for typos, and it was all gone! What the heck?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Officially in for Round 2! Good luck everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
MBAngst wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to the forum, and have been a quiet observer up until now, but wanted to join the convo on Kellogg. I am one of the R1 applicants still holding out for an admit call in these last few weeks. Good luck to the rest of you in the same boat! Here's hoping for some good news tomorrow ...

Good luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Man, I love it when the status check page goes down :x
GMAT Club Bot