Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 05:22 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 05:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Re: Year End Regrets from Your BSchool Journey (So Far) [#permalink]
1. I wish I would have lined my briefcase with plastic wrap so I could stuff it full of delicious savories from the Darden dining hall.
2. I wish I would have taken the OG11 that Vanderbilt gave out free.
3. I wish I would have lurked around the CRC and gawked at the undergrads at Emory a little longer.

Truthfully, I wish I would have diversified my app portfolio with more ultra-elite schools. I basically started the process with one school in mind, and then looked at other schools in the region. By the time R1 rolled around, I had complete tunnel vision on three schools and convinced myself I wouldn't be a fit for M7 schools. But now, knowing that admissions decisions can sometimes come down to which way the wind's blowing that day, I should have put more time into researching top schools and picked one or two to throw in. My top school is still my top school, but I am no longer under the impression that "if I can't get in there, I couldn't get into [top ten school] any way."
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
I regret not starting with the application process earlier than I did. The admission process was such a humbling experience for me. With no admits in hand so far, I am starting to wonder about my future.

What an eye opener....
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
i think i will have more learnings, since it's still early to tell what will ultimately happen, but i wish i hadn't gotten myself stuck on stanford's essay a. do that last and not be crazy and try to do it first! because it's the hardest one (unless you really know what matters most to you and why) working through all your other essays will make this one a lot easier when you get around to it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I regret -

1) Rushing on my Duke and Tepper apps in an attempt to submit them for Round 1. This was after I submitted my Tuck and Ross apps for Round 1.

2) Having way too high hopes after getting an interview invite from Ross.

Tuck and Ross have been my best apps in terms of quality. After dings from Duke, Tuck and Tepper, I have started thinking of the possibility of not entering business school in fall 09 as I expect more dings. I have slowly prepared myself for that and told myself that this is not the end !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
I followed this to some extent, but not as much as I should have: Treat every application as if it's a huge reach -- as if it's the H, S, or W -- and don't assume any program to be a sure thing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
MBAngst wrote:
I followed this to some extent, but not as much as I should have: Treat every application as if it's a huge reach -- as if it's the H, S, or W -- and don't assume any program to be a sure thing.

Where were you before I started apping ? :-D But seriously I agree with you completely.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I regret NOT preparing soon enough. :cry:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Kellogg 2011
Send PM
Like alot of comments so far, I wish I had spent more time visiting schools before applying. Not only would it have made my essays stronger, but frankly, based on the couple of schools that I did visit, easier to write. Applying to school wasn't some last minute decision, I could have visited schools last spring. The second bit that I've learned is to include friends and family earlier in the editing process. I'm not used to relying on other people to heavily edit my writing, but it's always helpful to have a second set of eyes. Even if it's just to help with that one line that doesn't sound right, it can save you a lot of time and aggrevation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: General,
Schools:Cornell, Duke, Kellogg, Ross
 Q50  V41
WE 1: 5
Send PM
I am a living proof...
ninkorn wrote:
cereal255 wrote:
I wish I would have waited a year to apply.

I would have been less on the borderline with my WE and would have had more time to really write more convincing essays. My lack of clearly defined career goals hurt me in my opinion.

Don't think that way.

You have bschool app experience under your belt now. You can learn from your mistakes and make your application stronger - should you decide to reapply next year.

Also, many adcoms look at re-applicants favorably.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
cs11 wrote:
Like alot of comments so far, I wish I had spent more time visiting schools before applying. Not only would it have made my essays stronger, but frankly, based on the couple of schools that I did visit, easier to write.

I agree. The smart thing to do would be to visit schools in the spring of the year that you apply. It's really hard to judge a school by the website or even talking to alumni.

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Bringing this thread back up, because I thought of one more thing I wish I had done. I wish I had spent some time at the beginning of my application process looking at scholarships. If I had it to do over again, I think I might have thrown in a Round 1 app to ASU/Carey in the hopes of a fellowship (I did the same for UCSD, and it worked out well, but it could just have easily not have), and I also would have applied for one of the JPMorgan minority scholarships/internships (for which the deadline was right around 2 of my R1 schools, and I simply didn't have the time to commit to it). I don't make a lot of money, and I'm going to be financing my education myself. Sure, I want to get in, but I also want to investigate as many scholarships as possible, and this takes time and preparation.

Also, for any future applicants reading, there are some things I did right: I applied to Tuck, USC, and NYU through the Consortium. I applied to both my reaches AND my safety schools R1, instead of the usual strategy of doing only highest-ranked schools first (I think this more than anything resulted in a fellowship from UCSD). I wrote the extra essay for the Haas Achievement Award. So all in all, I did lots of work on the money front...but of course, I could have done more.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
agold wrote:
1) I wish I spent more time on the GMAT and took it more seriously. A 710 is seemingly no longer very competitive unless you have other things in your profile that are locking you in.

I understand you have had some bad luck on decisions, but this is just plain ridiculous. Firstly, it gives a lot of people the wrong impression who are starting out on things (this is like the worst of the 700 club BS I have seen) and secondly it just isn't true.

Virtually every school in the top 10 will have over 40% of its class with scores of a 710 or below. Probably nearer half. As for your self assessment, I think looking at the 710 as the reason why your application is weak is missing a big elephant somewhere. It will be something else, I am absolutely certain.

Besides, if you haven't got anything else in your app beyond a GMAT score, why are you applying. Everyone has something they can pitch, and maybe it depends on how you pitch it.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
 Q44  V38
Send PM
Here are my two biggest regrets:

1) Dicking around in undergrad. When I transferred, I had two options: graduate on time (ie, within the usual four-year window) or graduate with a high GPA. I had to retake most courses as well as my major courses, and I ended up doing this in two and a half years. Naturally, doing a program twice as fast meant my GPA suffered. Looking at numbers, my GPA sucks.

2) Trusting my instincts. I joined here in February, studied somewhat diligently for the GMAT and scored better than I thought but a hair below my goal in July. I started some apps once they went live. However, around August or September, I had a crisis of confidence and became convinced I couldn't get in and was wasting money I didn't really have. So, most of my original schools went out the window and work stopped. Late September/early October, I started back up again, but missed most of the R1 deadlines. I made Georgetown and UCLA (sort of), but missed EA for UNC and Duke and the December Done-In-A-Day event at WFU. I wanted to know by now, but blew my chances.

Trust yourself, and treat every application as if it was the most important one. Best advice I can give.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2