Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 23:58 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 23:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: Indian Admits 2009 : Keep all desi discussions here! [#permalink]
Also, guys I would want a suggestion. Columbia has its deadline on 4th March. I have missed the deadline for the merit based scholarships, but I can still apply. Would you recommend it? I can definitely write great essays and get excellent recommendations. My gmat Score is 690, as posted above. Please read the profile and suggest. As I am a full time student, the application fee will be waived off, thus giving me another reason to apply :)

Regards,
Ankit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
any desi brother applied for US visa yet? i got a few qs
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Columbia has rolling admissions.
You won't be doing much service to you applying this late, esp. in this highly competitive year. But then, anything can happen :)
str1der wrote:
Also, guys I would want a suggestion. Columbia has its deadline on 4th March. I have missed the deadline for the merit based scholarships, but I can still apply. Would you recommend it? I can definitely write great essays and get excellent recommendations. My gmat Score is 690, as posted above. Please read the profile and suggest. As I am a full time student, the application fee will be waived off, thus giving me another reason to apply :)

Regards,
Ankit
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Someone might find this helpful.

Read the below post.

t76487-loans-for-internationals-good-news
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
hi all,

does anyone have an idea of what's going on with tepper? has the school been able to secure non-cosignor loans? haven't seen any formal communication on that front from CMU.

thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Nice thread for Desis....

Can someone help me in a decision

I have offers from Ross and KF.
Not sure whether i should spend 50 lacs and go to US. Dont want to stay in US for more than 3 years.
Pretty scared seeing the current job market .

Suggestions invited

Sudeep
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Duke, Darden (i/v-ed, withdrawn),Kellogg
 Q50  V41
Send PM
sudeepgandhi wrote:

Not sure whether i should spend 50 lacs and go to US. Dont want to stay in US for more than 3 years.

Suggestions invited

Sudeep

First, congrates on your admits. Ross is regarded as stronger than Kenan Flagler, and is considered a national school as opposed to KF which is considered a regional school. That said, if one wants to live in Southern US, KF is a pretty good school; it is next only to Duke and Darden in South.

If you are scared, it means you are thinking rationally which is good. That said, there is greater probability of economy bouncing back in 2 years than not.

If you are open to staying longer in the US, cannot postpone your MBA, and have good savings, I'd suggest go ahead and join Ross. If your answer to any of the 3 questions is No, please do a serious rethink.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
sudeepgandhi wrote:

Suggestions invited

Sudeep

You are the one many of us die to be... Having a Ross admit is an awesome thing. Economy will certainly be different in 2 years from now and in a turning economy ROI comes faster. That said you are the best judge of your situation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I have now written an application to Ross for a scholarship. I m not very confident but whatever i get will be of help.
Nothing to loose. :)

Thanks again
Sudeep
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
The job market is extremely scary for desis in B-schools. Of the dozen or so desis at Ross that I know of, only about 3 or 4 have an internship. So, you are wise to think twice about coming to school in the US. Try reaching out to the Indian Students Business Association @ Ross and get their inputs before making your decision. As for KF vs Ross, conventional wisdom suggests that Ross would be the better bet, but that may change depending on what you want to do after your MBA.

Good Luck!

sudeepgandhi wrote:

Suggestions invited

Sudeep
Current Student
Send PM
I got admitted to Cornell's Johnson School. Matriculating there.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
:beer :beer
wooo hoo many congratulations buddy...
Current Student
Send PM
Thank you.

If all the Indians on this forum can update their current status, I will create a summary on the 1st page for the desis next year.

I already know about a bunch of us, but if you haven't let us known already, please do so by end of this week.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: Hi-tech Product Development
Send PM
ncp wrote:
The job market is extremely scary for desis in B-schools. Of the dozen or so desis at Ross that I know of, only about 3 or 4 have an internship. So, you are wise to think twice about coming to school in the US. Try reaching out to the Indian Students Business Association @ Ross and get their inputs before making your decision. As for KF vs Ross, conventional wisdom suggests that Ross would be the better bet, but that may change depending on what you want to do after your MBA.

Good Luck!

Wow - how time flies. I still remember how I was a regular on these forums exactly a year ago. To give you guys an update of the job scene for Desis here, the situation has definitely gotten a lot better since NC posted. Summary: All desis have got a summer internship. But have we all got exactly what we wanted? No. Was it really easy? No. But in the end, I can safely say that more than 80% of the desis here have landed strong internships. By that, I mean, internships that will provide them with valuable experience they can leverage on to become much stronger candidates for full time opportunities.

It definitely looks like the economy is a (extremely slow) recovery. Well, at least the bloodbath seems to have stopped. If any of you are trying to time the job market in 2011, don't. When we went into Business School last year, the US economy was already in a slowdown and there was talk of how strong the economy is going to be in 2010 when we all graduate. Well, we all know how that turned out! To summarize, I would say, no one knows what is really going to happen over the next couple of years. So please walk in with your eyes open and do the MBA for the right reasons. As international students, we do take on exceptional risk in coming into the MBA program - letting go of our current good jobs, taking on $150 K of debt and uncertain job/visa opportunities. From my experience, I can say this: Is it hard? Yes. Is it a little scary? Yes. Is it fun? HELL YES!

For the record, I am a desi (from India) and just finished my first year at Ross.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Own Kudos [?]: 272 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Finance, Treasury, Banking
Schools:BC
GMAT 2: 620
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Send PM
Bumping this thread. Hope this thread comes alive in the coming days.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Good job bumping!

I was an avid reader of Gmatclub and gmatclub helped me keep my sanity over ups and downs during and after the admit! So, some gratuitious homily. Please bear with me :)

Currently I am attending Tuck. During application., I had done decent research about schools, their likings/dislikings and fit ( esp from the perspective of an Indian applying from India).

I understand, fit is kind of ambiguous and especially so when you are located in a remote country and all you have are information from websites. But I planned to attend school with my family and hence fit was of paramount importance to me. I was fortunate enough to visit some campus before applying, which kind of helped me to zero in on schools where my family will be able to fit in. If you do not have some specific career goal, which can be met only in a certain school, I highly encourage you to give good thought on fit ( because in traditional MBA jobs all the good schools will give you more or less same opportunity, I believe).

If any of you have specific questions/ confusions on issues like how to manage/ relocate family as an applicant/student etc , I'd be happy to chip in with my thoughts.

Originally posted by filmcity on 04 Oct 2009, 13:31.
Last edited by filmcity on 04 Oct 2009, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
edited a spelling
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8