Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:44 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 624 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: you're in--congrats! [#permalink]
sonibubu wrote:
Get laid...off (hopefully).
Otherwise, working til end of July.

Right after I found out about my first admit I went to my manager and asked to be included in the latest round of lay-offs. Alas, I was a couple weeks too late.

Say goodbye to almost a years severance pay and several months of time off. :(

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
For those who are leaving work fairly early, what are you doing about health insurance? I know Booth says they'll start their coverage a couple weeks early if you need it, but I'm looking to leave more than two weeks before school.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
cougarblue wrote:
For those who are leaving work fairly early, what are you doing about health insurance? I know Booth says they'll start their coverage a couple weeks early if you need it, but I'm looking to leave more than two weeks before school.

Lots of employers offer programs where you can keep your current health insurance for limited period of time after you leave the company. Ask your HR rep during your exit interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
As a follow-up to nink's comment, I know that at my company you keep your benefits through the end of the month in which you quit. So have your final day be the 1st of the month, if possible.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
nink wrote:
cougarblue wrote:

Lots of employers offer programs where you can keep your current health insurance for limited period of time after you leave the company. Ask your HR rep during your exit interview.

I am the HR rep, and also the CFO, and also the...you get the point. I assume you're talking about COBRA, but I think that doesn't apply to small companies.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
COBRA applies to ALL companies that offer a group health plan.

As far as taking vacation days, WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING? You know that your employer is required to pay those out when you leave? So any vacation days you take now will cost you a full days pay in addition to whatever you spend on your vacation. Every v-day now could cost you $200+ on your last check in May/June or whenever you quit. My adivce is to take as few days off as possible and save them all so that you get a fat check two weeks after your last day of work. I will have almost two full weeks of vacation accrued by my quit date July 2nd, which amounts to almost a full paycheck on July 17th.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Fuqua
Send PM
Word, JB. I'm taking my whole vacation payout in early June and going for a monthlong coke bender in Central America before school.

(only half kidding)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Send PM
jb32 wrote:

As far as taking vacation days, WHAT ARE YOU PEOPLE THINKING? You know that your employer is required to pay those out when you leave? So any vacation days you take now will cost you a full days pay in addition to whatever you spend on your vacation. Every v-day now could cost you $200+ on your last check in May/June or whenever you quit. My adivce is to take as few days off as possible and save them all so that you get a fat check two weeks after your last day of work. I will have almost two full weeks of vacation accrued by my quit date July 2nd, which amounts to almost a full paycheck on July 17th.

Not all companies pay out vacation when you leave - it entirely depends on how the vacation policy is written.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
My bad, it's kind of a gray area. Some states like California require employers to pay out unused PTO or vacation balances while other states such as Virginia do not. But if your employer does not pay out, then what's to keep you from extending your quit date by two weeks and then taking a two week vacation up until that date?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
For the companies that pays for unused vacation days, it depends on the accrual policy.

For example, let's say that you get 15 business days a year for vacation. This 15 vacation days get allocated over 12 month fiscal period. So if your company follows calendar year and your fiscal year begins from Jan and ends at Dec - and you quit in May, you only accrued 5 months of the fiscal year.

(15 business days * [5/12 months]) - any used up vacation days up until May =# of vacation days that you will be compensated for.
Current Student
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Toubab wrote:
Word, JB. I'm taking my whole vacation payout in early June and going for a monthlong coke bender in Central America before school.

(only half kidding)

You're kidding about the vacation payout in early June right? ;)
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V44
Send PM
jb32 wrote:

From US Dept of Labor website FAQ (emphasis added):

Who is entitled to benefits under COBRA?
There are three elements to qualifying for COBRA benefits. COBRA establishes specific criteria for plans, qualified beneficiaries, and qualifying events:

Plan Coverage - Group health plans for employers with 20 or more employees on more than 50 percent of its typical business days in the previous calendar year are subject to COBRA.

I think I might have to look into temporary insurance coverage from Assurant or some similar.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
Toubab wrote:

(only half kidding)

You're kidding about the vacation payout in early June right? ;)

Yeah, he's actually going on a month-long coke bender in South America, not Central.
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
cougarblue wrote:
jb32 wrote:

From US Dept of Labor website FAQ (emphasis added):

Who is entitled to benefits under COBRA?
There are three elements to qualifying for COBRA benefits. COBRA establishes specific criteria for plans, qualified beneficiaries, and qualifying events:

Plan Coverage - Group health plans for employers with 20 or more employees on more than 50 percent of its typical business days in the previous calendar year are subject to COBRA.

I think I might have to look into temporary insurance coverage from Assurant or some similar.

One exception to that rule is if your employer uses a PEO for benefits, in which case you may only have 5 employees, but be a part of a group plan with 20,000 employees. In that case you would still qualify for COBRA.
Current Student
Send PM
Isn't COBRA a really horrible deal in most cases? A friend who was laid off a couple years ago got a quote for COBRA coverage and it was over $500/month!

She was able to find a high-deductible plan for under $200/month.

RF
Director
Director
 Q48  V39
Send PM
The advantage with COBRA for us is that it is retroactive. You can elect coverage anytime within, I believe 90 days, from your last day. So if you get sick before you start school, you can sign the form for COBRA right before you visit the doctor or have surgery and you are covered back to the day you left work. The only downside is that you also have to retroactively pay the premiums, which could be $1,000 a month for up to 3 months.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
While the congrats are premature in my case ( :( ), I'm currently planning a 1.5-2 week trip to Spain for mid-May. Going into Barcelona and then driving northwest into the Pyrenees and then on to the Basque country. I freaking love Spain.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3