Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:36 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: GMATClub's Unofficial Chartered Financial Analyst thread [#permalink]
NickTW wrote:
I took the Level I exam yesterday as well. Glad it's over! I took it in Dallas, with a reported 700 other people. I worked full time (~55-60 hrs/wk) while studying over the last 3-4 months, but feel pretty good about the way the exam went. I felt Ethics and Econ were the hardest sections on the exam, despite reading through both sections twice. I'd read the passage, formulate an answer in my head, and then find two answer choices that were almost identical to what I was expecting. Hopefully I made up for it in FSA (easier than expected), and Fixed Income (Strongest section for me). We'll see. Either way, I felt the exam was pretty fair - if you were prepared and knew the information, you had a good shot at passing the exam. As long as a bunch of my 50/50 guesses didn't go against me, I give myself a decent chance at making it. I guess we'll see in 6 long, long weeks. Best of luck to everyone!

P.S> I'm really struggling with a decision - would love some input. I ordered a bunch of GMAT prep materials yesterday, and plan on taking the GMAT in the upcoming months. I really want to start gearing towards grad school over the next year or two, and would like to start my own non-profit on the side before going back to school (for personal and admit reasons). Basically, I can pursue GMAT > Non Profit > MBA over the next year, or GMAT > CFA Level II (June). Anyone go through a similar decision and have some input? Thanks!

It depends what your ultimate objective is. If the MBA is the ultimate objective, then do non-profit. I have the feeling that CFA is not very valued. Some people reading your application either don't realize how incredibly hard it is, or worse, don't even know what it is.

However, if you want to get into the IM industry after your MBA, then a CFA will be VERY useful.

It also depends on how solid your EC references are. If you have none, then the non-profit is a no-brainer; if it's already solid, I would suggest CFA.

But ultimately, you could try and do both and see what happens. If you have an economic or financial background it might be worth the try. Plus you have nothing to lose except a couple of bucks (easy for me to say obviously). Finally, even if you don't pass, you will have SOME knowledge that you can lever at the next exam.

Be aware though: L2 is significantly tougher than L1.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
NickTW wrote:
I took the Level I exam yesterday as well. Glad it's over! I took it in Dallas, with a reported 700 other people. I worked full time (~55-60 hrs/wk) while studying over the last 3-4 months, but feel pretty good about the way the exam went. I felt Ethics and Econ were the hardest sections on the exam, despite reading through both sections twice. I'd read the passage, formulate an answer in my head, and then find two answer choices that were almost identical to what I was expecting. Hopefully I made up for it in FSA (easier than expected), and Fixed Income (Strongest section for me). We'll see. Either way, I felt the exam was pretty fair - if you were prepared and knew the information, you had a good shot at passing the exam. As long as a bunch of my 50/50 guesses didn't go against me, I give myself a decent chance at making it. I guess we'll see in 6 long, long weeks. Best of luck to everyone!

P.S> I'm really struggling with a decision - would love some input. I ordered a bunch of GMAT prep materials yesterday, and plan on taking the GMAT in the upcoming months. I really want to start gearing towards grad school over the next year or two, and would like to start my own non-profit on the side before going back to school (for personal and admit reasons). Basically, I can pursue GMAT > Non Profit > MBA over the next year, or GMAT > CFA Level II (June). Anyone go through a similar decision and have some input? Thanks!

You have to decide between GMAT and CFA definitely. I am speaking from my own experience and I have decided to pursue GMAT and MBA postponing my CFA II.

In January 2007 I decided to prepare for CFA I and GMAT simultaneously, considering these exams are somehow complementary. How wrong I was... I passed CFA I in June 2007, but GMAT few months later brought nothing but dissapointment - 610 in October 2007. Then I decided to postpone CFA II and not to show up in June 2008 but to try to improve my GMAT. And I did it, although spending entire winter. I ended up with 720 in April 2008 and done whole application process (got admitted from Cambridge and interviewed from Wharton). Now I want to pursue level II for 2009.

What is my point? Setting too much goals (very, very demanding ones) could lead you to a disaster. You can end up with some poor GMAT score and "failed" on CFA. Although I'm not try to underestimate your potential, GMAT is such an exam that you never, and I mean NEVER, can say "I've studied too much for it". And it is too damn important not to focus on it with 110% energy.

Use this winter smart, since you already have a lot material for GMAT sit and learn, get into some cool programme and then attack CFA again. It seems that in recent years it is never too early to start business school, for CFA you always have time - at least nobody will ask you "Why now?" if you try CFA in 36. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
 Q48  V48
GPA: 3.74
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Send PM
Thank you both for the insightful replies. I think you touched on my concerns exactly. Especially the fact that higher progress towards my CFA *should* help immensley with IM recruiting out of school for a semi-career switcher like myself, but doesn't seem to carry an appropriate amount of weight in the admissions process . I definitely think ECs are the weakest part of my app, which is why I'm leaning toward the non-profit + GMAT route, and sitting for Level II later (Maybe June '10 after applications are done?).

Anyways, thanks again for the advice - much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hi everyone, this is a great thread, so much info. I am going to be taking a year off between my 3rd and 4th year at university and am going to be taking the cfa level 1 june 2010. Does anyone know if, tenative on a pass, I will be able to sign up for level 2 in june 2011. CFA institute says you need confirmation of degree though I would have this by the time may 2011 came around. I'm figuring that undertaking a grueling study regiment while at uni would be a bit easier than while working 70+ hours a week. Anyways, cheers for any advice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
karlb - lucky you! When I'm a student, I don't even know what a CFA is :P
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
hey rguy

i want to know how do you see asset management industry in US in the coming years.what are its prospects. will there be easy to get jobs for the international students pursuing CFA? and further what do you plan to do after your mba?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
BUMP from the dead =P

Just wondering, who's taking the test in 2 months? Ugh.....it's stressing me out =/

Good luck studying for the homestretch guys!
Current Student
Send PM
I don't miss that feeling one bit.

If anyone has any strategy/studying questions, PM me and I'll see if I can help. I have a ton of old tests and practice questions from CFAI books for Levels II and III. I also maintained a calendar with all my study activities....so I can tell you my strategy at each point in my study regimen.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Nice bump. I'm actually debating whether I'll take L3 next year or not during my last year. I could do it in terms of workload, but do I want to sacrifice my last months of freedom and fun for... the CFA?? Tough call. Flip side is that it's going to become really hard during work.

What I might do is take a middle road: prepare a bit, do exercises, and take the exam. If I pass, great. If I fail, it's a learning curve for the year after.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Audio wrote:
Nice bump. I'm actually debating whether I'll take L3 next year or not during my last year. I could do it in terms of workload, but do I want to sacrifice my last months of freedom and fun for... the CFA?? Tough call. Flip side is that it's going to become really hard during work.

What I might do is take a middle road: prepare a bit, do exercises, and take the exam. If I pass, great. If I fail, it's a learning curve for the year after.

Just be forewarned, Level III is much different than LI and LII. It is much more touchy feely, gobbily goo. However, that doesn't mean it's any easier! In fact, I'd argue that LIII is equally as hard, if not more difficult than LII.

There is a bit on behavioral finance, and a HUGE amount of personal and institutional portfolio management. There are two main issues that you will come up against. 1) This isn't a plug and chug type of exam. You really need to substantiate your answers, especially on the morning (essay) portion of the exam. Furthermore, there aren't as many concrete equations, formulas, concepts, etc. to memorize so you will have to do A LOT of practice problems to make sure you understand the material. 2) Since this is a more touchy feely test, there is a lot more objective material. When you read the behavioral finance section, some things make sense, while on others may have you arguing with the material as you are reading it! Same thing applies for Portfolio Management (which accounts for 45% of the exam). I could add to this some more, but I think you get the general idea.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but really I don't think you can BS your way through LIII. I have two friends that I took LI and LII with me and both of them failed LIII on their first attempt despite spending significantly more time studying LIII than they had LII. They're both smart cookies too (one works in product management at PIMCO, while the other is a 1Y MBA at Duke with a masters degree in accounting that used to conduct due diligence on hedge funds).

Also, as another sidenote, when I passed LIII in June 2007, the Schweser Notes were awful (they were pretty solid for LI and LII, in my opinion).

pguard is an excellent resource (as well as a few others on here), so let us know if you have questions.
Current Student
Send PM
Audio--

I agree with Ry's comments on cramming...it's a tough one to cram for because of its subjective nature. However, if cramming is your only option, PM me and I'll send you a ton of practice material.

I'm not sure how it will work with your school schedule, but this seminar is great: https://www.schweser.com/cfa/instruction ... eminar.php

LeFebvre is awesome.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Audio wrote:

Audio - Try your chance with LIII, it is much more common-sense than LI and LII. I read the books once, did not touch anything for 2 months and then winged it and passed. You don't have much to lose other than the fees.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
falibay wrote:
Audio wrote:

Audio - Try your chance with LIII, it is much more common-sense than LI and LII. I read the books once, did not touch anything for 2 months and then winged it and passed. You don't have much to lose other than the fees.

I'm slogging through level III right now. It is more "soft material", however the free answer is a b*tch. I'm using Stalla right now. Also https://www.analystforum.com is very usefull.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Analyst forum is a pretty good resource. What is nice with LIII is that if you understand the basic concepts very well, you can guess your answer and say somethign that is half intelligible. While when it is technical stuff, when you don't know, you don't know...

Good luck guys! I know it is painful but LIII is the last step :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
howardforever wrote:
i want to know how do you see asset management industry in US in the coming years.what are its prospects. will there be easy to get jobs for the international students pursuing CFA? and further what do you plan to do after your mba?

From what I've seen, investment mgmt has been murdered. The shops that are lucky enough to be around are laying people off. Totally different climate than a few years ago.

naturallight, CFA
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Being chartered, do you work in the industry right now? How long will it take for the industry to turn around in your opinion? I know it is probably highly related to the capital markets, but even if the markets turn today, I'm sure it will take time to ramp up such firms again. I ask because I know there are plenty of us on here that want to go back to school solely for investment management.

naturallight wrote:
howardforever wrote:

From what I've seen, investment mgmt has been murdered. The shops that are lucky enough to be around are laying people off. Totally different climate than a few years ago.

naturallight, CFA
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Alright then, the exam is tomorrow (at least here in the Middle east) and I am sitting for lvl-1. Guys, do post your impression of the exam afterwards... would be nice to hear how hard ( :wink: ) others found it (if anyone else here is taking lvl-1)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts