Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 01:00 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 01:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: another MBA, or Phd or Exec Ed. for boost [#permalink]
I fully agree with Alex, but would like to add something. One way (and probably the only way) you can land that pay jump is through a strong network. Now obviously your current network is not helping you here and hence you should focus on programs that will provide you with those new networks. There are a ton of Exec education options available to you starting from Harvard to Wharton to Sloan to LBS to Columbia depending on your needs.

Good luck.

busconnect wrote:
Alex thanks for your great inputs. You may be right. I may look into exec ed for intellectual challenge though. Market is tough now anyway. I was thinking that a 3rd language could probably be better option like for instance Russian...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Sorry Alex - don't want to crash your thread! But just to add: have you considered switching out of the int'l dev bank into a consulting firm like McKinsey? Depending on what your focus is, I know that M/Bain hire a lot of ex-devBank folks with salaries that are often higher. Also, some of those banks have options where you can be posted to a different country and not pay income tax due to citizenship. If you're really after the money, might be worth doing that as well.

just a few ideas :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks all for your great inputs. Why would McKinsey hire ex Dev. Bank folks?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
busconnect wrote:
Thanks all for your great inputs. Why would McKinsey hire ex Dev. Bank folks?

To work on projects with various govts. I know in the health sector, a lot of ex-bank folks get offers from consulting firms working w/ various govts. It increases the likelihood that the consulting firm will get some of those projects if they can mention "we have Person X who worked at ADB" or "person Y who worked at IADB," etc. It tends to be more sector specific than country specific.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Interesting thought never thought about it :-D
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
busconnect,

I think the common theme amongst the feedback you've been getting here is that your work experience and network should be able to get you further than you may realize. The common refrain I've seen with many folks I've encountered who are interested in b-schools is the "grass is greener" syndrome -- that they overestimate the value of an MBA (not saying that it's useless, but that more often than not prospective applicants ascribe way more value to an MBA than it actually deserves).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What about the MPA program at Harvard designed for more senior levels (min 7 years work experience)? You can tailor it and make it very identical to an MBA curiculum.
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
Sure, the MPA is an option, but it's not a "back door MBA". It's for people who are in public sector or nonprofit careers, or for those who are transitioning into public sector careers (i.e. Washington DC - lobbyists, foundations, etc.).

To be blunt, it just sounds like you're lost right now - like you don't know what it is you want to do professionally. You have to figure out what kind of career you want first, and then work backwards from there -- you're not going to find the "answer" by going back to school (or the "I'll get into a school, and worry about it later" approach). I just get a sense that you see "school" (whether it's an MBA, PhD, Exec MBA, MPA, MA, etc.) as a one-size-fits-all solution that will help you figure that out, or that somehow at your age a prestigious school name on your resume will somehow give you the currency that you don't have. The thing is, none of this is relevant at all if you aren't clear about what you're after in terms of your career, especially now at your age. Employers can be more forgiving of folks in their 20s for being open-ended, but far less forgiving of someone at your age - if you're unsure of yourself or your options, no degree program is going to make up for that.

And no, I'm not saying it's easy to figure out your career, but it's something you absolutely have to do before anything else, because if you're lost inside, no amount of external things you have (prestigious schools, high salary, etc.) is going to allow you to progress.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Alex I will do so. :)
GMAT Club Bot