Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:58 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72922 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
 Q49  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
Re: How to Attract More Members to the International MBA Forum? [#permalink]
That is a SUPERB idea. If we can have a thread for each of the ad-coms (we can easily moderate these threads) we can advertise this in some of the other forums with whom we have a "friendly" relationship.

devil420 wrote:
I think I got to know about GMATCLUB through a mention at the pagalguy, and once i visited the site i fell in love with it.

BB I feel a lot of indian students apply to International schools(Europe and also in asia, HKUST,NUS, Nanyang et al). pagal guy is a major forum that attracts a lot of traffic of these students.

ISB threads at pagalguy are usually flooded. one particular thread that attracts lots of traffic is the query handler by an ISB adcom guy. He answers questions regarding ISB on pagal guy. I think he can be invited to do the same at GMATCLUB. Infact gmatclub can approach all the main schools in ASIA(HKUST, CEIBS, ISB NUS, Nanyang) to host a thread at Gmatclub. it is definetely a win-win for both.

Just my two cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
devil420 wrote:
Infact gmatclub can approach all the main schools in ASIA(HKUST, CEIBS, ISB NUS, Nanyang) to host a thread at Gmatclub. it is definitely a win-win for both.

I thought about similar idea – perhaps, we could arrange a series of ‘gmatclub’s exlusive interviews’ with adcom members of various schools. Having a permanent thread theoretically is better – but, realistically, I don’t think that adcoms would monitor it regularly.

Now, we need to find those ‘friendly adcoms’ :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
BB, I have a suggestion.
We need to collect information on the Best B'schools, with the information including - School Name, Specialization, Average GMAT score, Network of alumini's, Approximate fee/expenses per year... Present them in a word sheet format and publish in our site, with some covering topic name, say 'Top 10 Business schools in USA' and like wise.

The advantage is this will be in the hitlist in Google. Most of the people start their B-school searches in Google and their mindset will be to hit the top-10 schools.

This will invite quite a lot of people. Hope this helps. :)
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
vesam wrote:
BB, I have a suggestion.
We need to collect information on the Best B'schools, with the information including - School Name, Specialization, Average GMAT score, Network of alumini's, Approximate fee/expenses per year... Present them in a word sheet format and publish in our site, with some covering topic name, say 'Top 10 Business schools in USA' and like wise.

The advantage is this will be in the hitlist in Google. Most of the people start their B-school searches in Google and their mindset will be to hit the top-10 schools.

Thank you Vesam! Great to hear from a Fresh member.
I believe we started doing that for a number of schools. Here is an example: sajid-business-school-university-of-oxford-78371.html
Let me know if your idea was different or if there is anything missing from the list in that thread.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
devil420 wrote:
I think I got to know about GMATCLUB through a mention at the pagalguy, and once i visited the site i fell in love with it.

BB I feel a lot of indian students apply to International schools(Europe and also in asia, HKUST,NUS, Nanyang et al). pagal guy is a major forum that attracts a lot of traffic of these students.

ISB threads at pagalguy are usually flooded. one particular thread that attracts lots of traffic is the query handler by an ISB adcom guy. He answers questions regarding ISB on pagal guy. I think he can be invited to do the same at GMATCLUB. Infact gmatclub can approach all the main schools in ASIA(HKUST, CEIBS, ISB NUS, Nanyang) to host a thread at Gmatclub. it is definetely a win-win for both.

Just my two cents.

Very good point. Many adcoms of the the schools that need marketing and looking for better students are willing to participate but in my experience top 10 or 20 are tough to get to be regular visitors on the forum. Also academic policies may prevent them from freely expressing their opinion on a third party forum. I think we should definitely try nevertheless.

What is the best way to approach Admissions?

What are the benefits we could offer them here and keep them coming back?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
How about a chat session (similar to clearadmit chat sessions ?). Then we post the QnA transcript on the forums. They seem to be happy doing those ? OR we can start a questions thread and once we reach say 30 good questions list we send it to the ad-com to answer at their own leisure ?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
bsd_lover wrote:
How about a chat session (similar to clearadmit chat sessions ?). Then we post the QnA transcript on the forums. They seem to be happy doing those ? OR we can start a questions thread and once we reach say 30 good questions list we send it to the ad-com to answer at their own leisure ?

I like the questionnaire/list of questions idea - I would say we can do the first round and put some cool and meaningful questions there, along the lines of Nink's interview with GMAT club members, providing schools an opportunity to showcase themselves and also making school threads, such as Buffdaddy's Said Thread, more content-rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, GM, Energy, Technology
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Here's a way to come up with a good question list.

Start a post telling people that you will be interviewing the AdCom from so-and-so school, and ask interested posters to post questions they would like answered. Then a small group of moderators will sift through the list and select the best 10 to 20 questions and submit it to the AdCom via e-mail. The AdCom's reply will then be posted for all to see.

This a format Slashdot often use for its interview.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Send PM
xenok you slashdot NERD :twisted:
xenok wrote:

Start a post telling people that you will be interviewing the AdCom from so-and-so school, and ask interested posters to post questions they would like answered. Then a small group of moderators will sift through the list and select the best 10 to 20 questions and submit it to the AdCom via e-mail. The AdCom's reply will then be posted for all to see.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
bb wrote:
vesam wrote:
BB, I have a suggestion.

Thank you Vesam! Great to hear from a Fresh member.
I believe we started doing that for a number of schools. Here is an example: sajid-business-school-university-of-oxford-78371.html
Let me know if your idea was different or if there is anything missing from the list in that thread.

BB, I was suggesting that information in an arranged format. I am attaching a template spread sheet(We can eliminate or add a few).
If we can create a thread in a spread sheet form, that will provide good enough information on all the schools across the globe.
Who ever is getting the information can add in. This will be a start and in days, we will have sufficient information to provide to people inviting them to out forum.

Thanks,
Attachments

File comment: Template
School.xls [13.5 KiB]
Downloaded 85 times

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
vesam wrote:
bb wrote:
vesam wrote:

BB, I was suggesting that information in an arranged format. I am attaching a template spread sheet(We can eliminate or add a few).
If we can create a thread in a spread sheet form, that will provide good enough information on all the schools across the globe.
Who ever is getting the information can add in. This will be a start and in days, we will have sufficient information to provide to people inviting them to out forum.

Thanks,

This makes sense to me. I think it is a good idea to have a master list of all schools with links to individual Threads, and actually not only for international schools since Global rankings will include all schools. So, just as a listing of all programs. I don't know how many members this will attract, but I think it will be very useful as a central place with all vital program stats such as Rankings based on FT, BW, Econ, etc, and other stats that may not be easy to find and thus valuable to members

What does the group think?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
As someone has already mentioned pagalguy attracts a lot of the Indians who applyt o non-US schools.
The other forum that seems to be sporadically popular (particularly for schools in Asia) is findmba.com
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
xenok wrote:

I like it. I would actually like to have something like this for Top 20 schools, regardless of their location.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
vesam wrote:

Thanks,

Here is my version with a bit more info:
Attachments

Copy of School.xls [15 KiB]
Downloaded 103 times

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just wanted to give an update to make sure there was no impression that this has fallen through the cracks.

The idea of having a list of questions to pose to admissions committees is a go - we can execute once the Essays and Deadlines will be released in Aug/Sept.
One challenge is getting them to answer but I think we could rely on our ambassadors to put a special word.

The list of schools is also a go and again the delay is with release of admissions information
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
if you want me to reach admissions staff at HKUST I can link you guys together and see what happens, let me know if you are interested.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Just wanted to alert that one of the ideas has been implemented here with a listing of all schools in a dashboard format.
Any suggestions/comments from the International MBA forum?
progress-on-school-rankings-81540.html

I think we will have one thread with an International Only Schools in this forum
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4