Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Calling All Duke Fall 2010 Applicants! (MERGED) [#permalink]
Kudos
I did my interview a little differently too. I had actually submitted my essay before I interviewed. The interview was the first time I had actually visited campus too.

But to answer your question w103psp, yeah I would wait until things have settled down a little before I visited. You might not be able to do a class visit either until the first few weeks have passed anyways.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
FuquaVision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNv2xIrfh88

Found this from the 2008 thread...ha ha...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
ROLL CALL PAGE UPDATED
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Thought I'd put my name out here before classes etc swallow me up - I'm a soon to be 1st-year at Fuqua so if anyone has any questions that an active student is best equipped to answer - PM me.

**Note: I was living abroad while applying so I will basically be useless when asked about campus visits, on-campus interviews, Blue Devil Weekend etc etc. Sorry!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
Thought I'd put my name out here before classes etc swallow me up - I'm a soon to be 1st-year at Fuqua so if anyone has any questions that an active student is best equipped to answer - PM me.

**Note: I was living abroad while applying so I will basically be useless when asked about campus visits, on-campus interviews, Blue Devil Weekend etc etc. Sorry!

Ha! I am gonna direct all duke questions to you now bostonsparky! :wink:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools:Fuqua Class of 2012
 Q50  V42
Send PM
I'm in for R1 as long as I can get in a visit early enough. I've been to the campus and seen the business building, but I'd like to do the whole campus visit program and class visit before writing the essays.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
 Q39  V40
Send PM
I'm in for round 2. Duke is a great school, I think it may be easier to get in than UNC! At least for me.......
Current Student
Send PM
benpack03 wrote:
I'm in for round 2. Duke is a great school, I think it may be easier to get in than UNC! At least for me.......

Why do you say that benpack03?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
Roll call updated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
 Q39  V40
Send PM
w10,

This was my response to another (very nice) user who recently emailed me. I am just to lazy to type it again....hope it helps and again, I dont mean to rant. I will say this too, I went to an after party at Preview Kenan Flagler Day and met several Duke students there. Fuqua and Kenan Flagler are very collaborative (they are only 20 miles apart). The Duke students really, really impressed me. I must say too, the UNC students are very nice, and have continued to be very nice and very helpful. I just think the admissions there are kind of wacked.....please keep this in mind.......

Hey -------,

I should kind of watch what I write. I sort of have a bad taste for Kenan Flagler right now. I have a 650 on my GMAT but I am soon to take it again and hope to score over 700. I visited at UNC often and really liked the people there. However, I got an outright denial with 11 years experience, 650 GMAT, two engineering degrees from NC State, managing 60 people, licenced professional engineer, yada yada yada. What gave me the bad taste though is they are supposed to give feedback, and even after two requests - I get no feedback. I worked on Beverly Purdue's (Governor of North Carolina) western campaign and she said she could get this "feedback" for me if need be. But why should a taxpayer in North Carolina have to at a state school? I just think that if I get a higher score on the GMAT (700+) I will have an easier time getting into Duke. I will probably still apply to UNC, so I guess I am a hippocrit. I dont want to deter you though, unlike the Law School at UNC which takes a mandatory 75% in staters, an out of stater to me has a better chance of getting into UNC Kenan Flagler than an in-stater. Which is shame when you think of all the tax dollars I have sent to the place over the years. I hope this helps.....I didnt mean to rant.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Having already visited campus, I was excited to see this...never mind saving a few hundred dollars. By the way, I also updated the app deadlines.

LizAtFuqua: We've just finalized the new application deadlines, and they will be posted on the Web very soon! For those interested in applying this year, I am happy to highlight a few changes: (1) Interviews will be required for admission; (2) Applicants will have the opportunity to choose a regional hub for an alumni interview. You can still visit the Fuqua campus, and we encourage you to do so, however because the interview is now a required component of the process, we are utilizing our alumni to help us interview candidates.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
That's a nice change from last year's "interviews aren't required, but 100% of admitted students have interviewed" approach, which essentially forced anyone in the US not on the West Coast to travel to Duke for an interview. By saying they encourage people to visit, I wonder if that means they will continue to look more favorably on people who take the time to go to Durham.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Hey, all! Glad that some "fresher" voices are chiming in.

Last year, the campus visit program started on ~Oct 2. It starts late because it's so student-driven. The incoming SYs need time to get the new FYs up and running! Expect something similar for this fall.
Current Student
Send PM
From the Ross thread.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-ross-2010-applicants-80018-20.html?sid=1bded8cf66bbbe4b8768080e33e32d46#p605709

sam77sam7 wrote:
I know this is the Ross thread, but since we are discussing Ross and Fuqua - look into the entrepreneurship program at Fuqua as well. If you are interested in high-tech or health-care start-ups, Fuqua has a unique business incubator program that is worth looking into. They only take maybe 10-15 students, help with business ideas, strategy, contacts with VCs, with the end goal of launching the business at the end of your two years.

~Sam
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I think I'm applying.. either R1 or R2. I wouldn't be opposed to applying EA either, if I can get my act together in time. :)

aaudetat - thanks for your posts on this forum. I have a couple of questions....

1. Age / WE - I think Duke has an older WE than some other schools. I have 2 years experience right now and should have 3 years at matriculation - will that hurt me for admissions - I get the sense that Duke isn't as young-applicant-friendly... is that just my perception?. Even if I do get in, will recruiting be more difficult because I'll be competing against more experienced classmates at Duke? Do a lot of companies have an experience cut-off when they recruit on campus?

2. Duke Weekend for Women - I applied last year and didn't get in. I know the AdCom say that the decision isn't related to MBA admissions at all... but how can it not be? I won't let that stop me from applying but it's a little discouraging. Anyone else here in the same boat?

3. How is marketing at Duke? What do your marketing classmates think of the program and the recruiters?

4. Does applying EA mean no scholarship money?

I'm trying to make it out to Durham for a trip as early in October as possible... might be hard given work, but I really want to visit before I apply. Who's planning a visit in the fall?

And thanks in advance to aaudetat and anyone else who responds!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Hey gettinggoing,

You can still get scholarship money if you apply EA, according to the Fuqua website and an online chat with some Duke admissions representatives. Also, don't worry too much about not getting into the Weekend for Women. I'm in the exact same boat: applied last year and didn't get accepted. Did you note on your application that you weren't applying in 2008-2009? I did (noted I was applying for 2009-2010) and think that Duke rightly favored candidates that were applying for MBA admission that same year. I agree that it's a bit disheartening and I was pretty bummed when that happened last year, but just chalked it up to the fact that I noted that I wasn't applying that year because it was too depressing to consider other alternatives.

The EA deadline is even earlier this year so definitely try to visit before October 6th if you plan on applying EA (you don't have to, but I just personally wouldn't apply EA/ED to a place I hadn't seen in person). The campus and school are gorgeous! :)

gettinggoing wrote:
I think I'm applying.. either R1 or R2. I wouldn't be opposed to applying EA either, if I can get my act together in time. :)

aaudetat - thanks for your posts on this forum. I have a couple of questions....

1. Age / WE - I think Duke has an older WE than some other schools. I have 2 years experience right now and should have 3 years at matriculation - will that hurt me for admissions - I get the sense that Duke isn't as young-applicant-friendly... is that just my perception?. Even if I do get in, will recruiting be more difficult because I'll be competing against more experienced classmates at Duke? Do a lot of companies have an experience cut-off when they recruit on campus?

2. Duke Weekend for Women - I applied last year and didn't get in. I know the AdCom say that the decision isn't related to MBA admissions at all... but how can it not be? I won't let that stop me from applying but it's a little discouraging. Anyone else here in the same boat?

3. How is marketing at Duke? What do your marketing classmates think of the program and the recruiters?

4. Does applying EA mean no scholarship money?

I'm trying to make it out to Durham for a trip as early in October as possible... might be hard given work, but I really want to visit before I apply. Who's planning a visit in the fall?

And thanks in advance to aaudetat and anyone else who responds!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
ElleBee - I like your reasoning! :)

ElleBee wrote:

I did (noted I was applying for 2009-2010) and think that Duke rightly favored candidates that were applying for MBA admission that same year. I agree that it's a bit disheartening and I was pretty bummed when that happened last year, but just chalked it up to the fact that I noted that I wasn't applying that year because it was too depressing to consider other alternatives.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts