Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 05:40 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Finance - IB
Schools:Kelley, Moore, Krannert, Owen
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Question about resume length: [#permalink]
I believe one page is the standard any where. Although you might consider use two, if you have significant achievement in life that really cannot cram into one page.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Follow up question: Does font size & style matter?

Obviously I wouldn't want to use tiny fonts to fit in an excessive amount of info, but it wouldn't hurt to maximize my limited space. So far I'm using size 10 Arial (on MS Word), I hope that's not too small.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
GMATaddict wrote:

Obviously I wouldn't want to use tiny fonts to fit in an excessive amount of info, but it wouldn't hurt to maximize my limited space. So far I'm using size 10 Arial (on MS Word), I hope that's not too small.

10 point font is definitely too small.

The one page limit is a very basic, hard and fast rule. Don't try to game it. 11-12pt font, normal margins. Start from there and edit, edit, edit.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Skitalets wrote:
GMATaddict wrote:

10 point font is definitely too small.

The one page limit is a very basic, hard and fast rule. Don't try to game it. 11-12pt font, normal margins. Start from there and edit, edit, edit.

Actually I was editing yesterday, size 11 Arial worked out well, I cut the resume down to 1 page without significant losses. I revised to size 10 just for a little extra space, but I could easily go back to 11 point font I suppose.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: International Finance - IB
Schools:Kelley, Moore, Krannert, Owen
Send PM
One trick would be to change the font size on any blank/spacer lines. You can change that font down to 4 or 5 and it still leaves enough space so you notice a break. But of course, each resume is unique and it must "flow" ie. Draw the readers eyes to the next bullet point. You don't want to have a long line/short line/long line format the whole way down. I would focus more on content though, rather than working about what font size the adcom is looking for.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
A business resume is a one-page business card.

The 10-second ESPN highlights.

Not a complete dissertation of everything that you've done. It actually hurts you more if you have say 2 or 3 years experience, and your resume overflows to 2 or 3 pages chock full of text. It makes you look insecure - that you're trying way too hard to show that you've done so much in what little time you have.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
A one page resume is what adcoms look for in general. If it helps write your resume as a "LIST OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS" instead of penning down all your work experience and extra curriculars
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I would hate to think I left out key achievements to fit into an assumed, unwritten rule. A common theme I see in these forums is "just be yourself" and a resume that is more than one page may be needed to accomplish that.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
I have read resume advice that the default Word margins are too wide and it makes sense to decrease margins slightly. My question has to do with contact info/header in an application resume. While a standard job resume should include name/address/phone/email, is all of that necessary on an application resume? Presumably you need all 4 on a job resume since the resume may be all they have in your file, but in the context of an application, they already have your contact info. I have looked in MBA Game Plan, and some of the sample resumes have just name, while others have one line for each of the 4 items. I currently have 4 lines in my header, but it makes it quite a challenge to fit the rest in one page - the font is smaller than I would like.
GMAT Club Bot