Last visit was: 03 Jun 2024, 14:53 It is currently 03 Jun 2024, 14:53
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3824 [41]
Given Kudos: 412
GMAT 1: 530 Q47 V17
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 64110 [23]
Given Kudos: 1800
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [18]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Re: Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overse [#permalink]
Hi Experts , although C is correct because of "has .....", what is wrong with the second part of the underlined portion " an area that is about Colorado's size" ?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2010 [3]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overse [#permalink]
Kudos
amlan2018 wrote:
Hi Experts , although C is correct because of "has .....", what is wrong with the second part of the underlined portion " an area that is about Colorado's size" ?

"an area that is about Colorado's size" is also right, though 'an area about the size of Colorado' in answer choice C is more concise and clear.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 245
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Something seems off about the prepositional phrase within A - "about Colorado's size"

Is there anything wrong with this part of the sentence? Does it (illogically) express a type of size? e.g., "Boston Soldier" almost describes a type of solider; it should be "Solider from Boston"
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samgyupsal wrote:
Something seems off about the prepositional phrase within A - "about Colorado's size"

Is there anything wrong with this part of the sentence? Does it (illogically) express a type of size? e.g., "Boston Soldier" almost describes a type of solider; it should be "Solider from Boston"

Hi Sam

There is nothing wrong with "Colorado's size". Please note that Colorado is used in the possessive form - with an apostrophe + 's'. This indicates that the size belongs to Colorado ie; it is one of its features or properties.

In the example you have quoted, the correct parallel would not be "Boston soldier", but "Boston's soldier", which would indicate that the soldier belongs to Boston.

Hope this clarifies.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 612 [2]
Given Kudos: 1349
Send PM
Kudos
Hello GMATNinja
I have question about option C. In Option C "An Area about the size of Colorado", author is comparing AREA with Size of Colorado. It is correct option.

In another SC on comparison --https://gmatclub.com/forum/laos-has-a-land-area-about-the-same-as-great-britain-but-only-four-mil-107156.html you mentioned for option D that the comparison( Area vs Size) isn't ideal: we're comparing the "land area" of Laos to the "size of Great Britain." That's not great.

I think both questions contradict for Area vs Size comparison. Could you please advise which comparison is correct ?

Thanks,
AliciaSierra
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
AndrewN
in option c is about the size of Colorado correct because 'the size of Colorado' is itself some unit let's say 60 million
now sentence will be like 59million, about 60 million
I'm confused
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6919 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
saby1410 wrote:
AndrewN
in option c is about the size of Colorado correct because 'the size of Colorado' is itself some unit let's say 60 million
now sentence will be like 59million, about 60 million
I'm confused

This is a case, saby1410, in which I think you can dance around the issue and still arrive at the correct answer. (If you are ever unsure about a particular split, it is always a good idea to look for other issues you are more knowledgeable about.) Here, the original sentence and answer choice (B) can be axed right away: the number should be treated as singular, so have grown will not work. Then, choices (D) and (E) both incorporate a superfluous an idiomatically unsound up in the construct from X to Y. Game over.

Quote:
Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado’s size.

(A) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado’s size

(B) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, about the size of Colorado

(C) has grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado

(D) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado’s

(E) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, about Colorado’s size

Still, in response to your question, we can interpret the main clause and the modifying phrase in the following manner:

Main clause: the number of acres... has grown from 48 million [acres] to nearly 59 million [acres].

Modifying phrase: 59 million [acres], an area about the size of Colorado—i.e. Colorado is about 59 million acres in size.

I think GMATNinja has done a fine job earlier in the thread explaining the comparison. I am just explaining the meaning of the phrase itself, per your question. I hope it makes more sense now. Thank you for thinking to ask.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
KarishmaB AjiteshArun GMATNinjaTwo GMATWhizTeam ExpertsGlobal5

Doubts –
1. In options D and E – Is there anything wrong with idiom “from X UP to Y”? I eliminated these options because of redundancy ‘grown’ and ‘up’. But, want to understand is the usage of idiom ‘from X UP to Y’ permissible. Till now, i have found 3 idiom on from – ‘from X to/until/through Y’.
2. Comparison in option C,D, and E –
a. Option C – area is compared to size of Colorado. Isn’t this wrong? I found a quite similar sentence in which one of the reasons to reject was that area is compared to size. ‘Laos has a land area comparable to the size of Great Britain.’
b. Option D – area is compared to area. Better than C and E
c. Option E – Not sure on the role of ‘about Colorado’s size’. I think this prepositional phrase is modifying 59 million. Is this correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 643
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
1. In options D and E – Is there anything wrong with idiom “from X UP to Y”? I eliminated these options because of redundancy ‘grown’ and ‘up’. But, want to understand is the usage of idiom ‘from X UP to Y’ permissible. Till now, i have found 3 idiom on from – ‘from X to/until/through Y’.

Hi waytowharton,

I think this is a relatively rare structure (so we don't have too many data points), but yes, as far as I know, from X up to Y is unidiomatic.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4685 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
RaviChandra wrote:
Since 1981, when the farm depression began, the number of acres overseen by professional farm-management companies have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado’s size.

(A) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area that is about Colorado’s size

(B) have grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, about the size of Colorado

(C) has grown from 48 million to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado

(D) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, an area about the size of Colorado’s

(E) has grown from 48 million up to nearly 59 million, about Colorado’s size

Concepts tested here: Subject-Verb Agreement + Awkwardness/Redundancy

A:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun phrase "the number of acres" with the plural verb phrase "have grown".
2/ Option A uses the needlessly wordy and indirect phrase "that is about Colorado’s size", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

B:
1/ This answer choice incorrectly refers to the singular noun phrase "the number of acres" with the plural verb phrase "have grown".

C: Correct.
1/ This answer choice correctly refers to the singular noun phrase "the number of acres" with the singular verb phrase "has grown".
2/ Option C is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

D:
1/ This answer choice redundantly uses "up" alongside "grown", rendering it needlessly wordy; this usage is redundant, as both terms convey the same information.
2/ Option D uses the needlessly indirect phrase "an area about the size of Colorado’s (area)", leading to further awkwardness and redundancy.

E:
1/ This answer choice redundantly uses "up" alongside "grown", rendering it needlessly wordy; this usage is redundant, as both terms convey the same information.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 500 Q48 V13
GMAT 2: 460 Q44 V12
Send PM
egmat
Since "an area about the size of Colorado" is a "noun+noun modifier," and this "noun+noun modifier," as the most versatile modifier, can refer to both 48 million and 59 million acres, would you please explain why there is no ambiguity in choice C?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6952 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts