Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 09:14 It is currently 06 May 2024, 09:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3839 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: The fossil remains of the first flying vertebrates, the [#permalink]
Yes, I think the answer to Question 7 is D. I concluded mainly based on POE as all other options are definitely not mentioned.
Also, the point about wingspans might support D.

(A) lived near large bodies of water
--no mention of water in the paragraph
(B) had sharp teeth for tearing food
--mentioned only about sharp claws, not teeth
(C) were attacked and eaten by larger reptiles
--not mentioned
(D) had longer tails than many birds
(E) consumed twice their weight daily to maintain their body temperature
--mentions only about high metabolism, not about food consumption
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q45  V38
Send PM
Explanation for the 5th

It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is characteristic of the pterosaurs?
(A) They were unable to fold their wings when not in use. - correct
(B) They hung upside down from branches as bats do before flight.
(C) They flew in order to capture prey.
(D) They were an early stage in the evolution of the birds.
(E) They lived primarily in a forest-like habitat.

you can find the answer in the last sentence of the second paragraph:
When a pterosaur walked or remained stationary, the fourth finger, and with it the wing, could only turn upward in an extended inverted V-shape along each side of the animal’s body.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [4]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Business
 Q49  V29 GMAT 2: 700  Q48  V36
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: 3
Send PM
Kudos
tomirisk wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
and how to explain these two :)

5.It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is characteristic of the pterosaurs?
(A) They were unable to fold their wings when not in use.
OA---

7.It can be inferred from the passage that some scientists believe that pterosaurs

OA

I don't agree with the OA in the 7ths question. I put D as an answer reasoning it by the following sentence in the passage:
"Their skulls, pelvises, and hind feet are reptilian" I'm not sure it fully justifies my answer, but i couldn't find a single word or phrase hinting that pterosaurs lived near large bodies of water.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Hi nIthya,

well the answer to the 7th question is indeed A. look at the line in the last paragraph.The third calls for high waves to channel updrafts. The wind that made such waves however, might have been too strong for the pterosaurs to control their flight once airborne.

the only option where such huge waves can be produced is near ocean/water bodies. Hope it helped.

well coming to the 5th question.look at the below phrase.
If the pterosaurs walked on all fours, the three short fingers may have been employed for grasping. When a pterosaur walked or remained stationary, the fourth finger, and with it the wing, could only turn upward in an extended inverted V-shape along each side of the animal’s body.

the 3 fingers when not flying were used for grasping the ground and the fourth with the wing was in a V shape.[unfolded].

so optin A is right!!!

+ kudos if u like my reasoning!!!
Cheers!!! :-D :lol: 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
atomy wrote:
The fossil remains of the first flying vertebrates, the pterosaurs, have intrigued paleontologists for more than two centuries. How such large creatures, which weighed in some cases as much as a piloted hang-glider and had wingspans from 8 to 12 meters, solved the problems of powered flight, and exactly what these creatures were—reptiles or birds—are among the questions scientists have puzzled over.
Perhaps the least controversial assertion about the pterosaurs is that they were reptiles.
Their skulls, pelvises, and hind feet are reptilian. The anatomy of their wings suggests that they did not evolve into the class of birds. In pterosaurs a greatly elongated fourth finger of each forelimb supported a wing-like membrane. The other fingers were short and reptilian, with sharp claws. In birds the second finger is the principal strut of the wing, which consists primarily of feathers. If the pterosaurs walked on all fours, the three short fingers may have been employed for grasping. When a pterosaur walked or remained stationary, the fourth finger, and with it the wing, could only turn upward in an extended inverted V-shape along each side of the animal’s body.
The pterosaurs resembled both birds and bats in their overall structure and proportions. This is not surprising because the design of any flying vertebrate is subject to aerodynamic constraints. Both the pterosaurs and the birds have hollow bones, a feature that represents a savings in weight. In the birds, however, these bones are reinforced more massively by internal struts.
Although scales typically cover reptiles, the pterosaurs probably had hairy coats. T. H. Huxley reasoned that flying vertebrates must have been warm-blooded because flying implies a high rate of metabolism, which in turn implies a high internal temperature. Huxley speculated that a coat of hair would insulate against loss of body heat and might streamline the body to reduce drag in flight. The recent discovery of a pterosaur specimen covered in long, dense, and relatively thick hairlike fossil material was the first clear evidence that his reasoning was correct.
Efforts to explain how the pterosaurs became airborne have led to suggestions that they launched themselves by jumping from cliffs, by dropping from trees, or even by rising into light winds from the crests of waves. Each hypothesis has its difficulties. The first wrongly assumes that the pterosaurs’ hind feet resembled a bat’s and could serve as hooks by which the animal could hang in preparation for flight. The second hypothesis seems unlikely because large pterosaurs could not have landed in trees without damaging their wings. The third calls for high waves to channel updrafts. The wind that made such waves however, might have been too strong for the pterosaurs to control their flight once airborne.

It can be inferred from the passage that scientists now generally agree that the
(A) enormous wingspan of the pterosaurs enabled them to fly great distances
(B) structure of the skeleton of the pterosaurs suggests a close evolutionary relationship to bats
(C) fossil remains of the pterosaurs reveal how they solved the problem of powered flight
(D) pterosaurs were reptiles
(E) pterosaurs walked on all fours

I got the answer to this question but please tell me on the basis of which statement or statements in the passage you decided the right answer. please mention those statements as well..

Please see the red part above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance
Schools:University of Economics Prague
Send PM
Kudos
Yop, the only possible answer for 7 - mentioned in text - is A

kylexy wrote:
tomirisk wrote:
nitya34 wrote:
and how to explain these two :)

5.It can be inferred from the passage that which of the following is characteristic of the pterosaurs?
(A) They were unable to fold their wings when not in use.
OA---

7.It can be inferred from the passage that some scientists believe that pterosaurs

OA

I don't agree with the OA in the 7ths question. I put D as an answer reasoning it by the following sentence in the passage:
"Their skulls, pelvises, and hind feet are reptilian" I'm not sure it fully justifies my answer, but i couldn't find a single word or phrase hinting that pterosaurs lived near large bodies of water.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Hi nIthya,

well the answer to the 7th question is indeed A. look at the line in the last paragraph.The third calls for high waves to channel updrafts. The wind that made such waves however, might have been too strong for the pterosaurs to control their flight once airborne.

the only option where such huge waves can be produced is near ocean/water bodies. Hope it helped.

well coming to the 5th question.look at the below phrase.
If the pterosaurs walked on all fours, the three short fingers may have been employed for grasping. When a pterosaur walked or remained stationary, the fourth finger, and with it the wing, could only turn upward in an extended inverted V-shape along each side of the animal’s body.

the 3 fingers when not flying were used for grasping the ground and the fourth with the wing was in a V shape.[unfolded].

so optin A is right!!!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Schools:ESADE, IE
 Q49  V32
Send PM
Nice discussion guys.

I got most of my answers. :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1548 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
kylexy wrote:

Hi nIthya,

Question 7th is crazy infer. OMG. Nice explanation.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi there guys,
I only seem to find question 5 and 7 on the forum.

where are the rest of the questions/

Thx
S.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
saintlychik,
seems the balance Qns were eaten by the Reptile...lol...Watch out Qn no 5 n 7...ur turn ..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
i find both OA confusing.................. can some one post clear passage map here

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13980 posts