Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 20:57 It is currently 04 May 2024, 20:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (R2 - Accepted & Matriculating), Kellogg (R1 - Accepted), Columbia (RD - Accepted), Stanford (R2 - Dinged)
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Quote:
Sandy, is there any way we could find out who the HBS interviewers in R2 (for various locations) are? I'm having an interview in Shanghai next week and it would be great to find out some facts on my interviewer first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK gig is up, Shanghai WL interviewer is Eileen Chang, who is also known on these boards as the official HBS Wait List Lady, but she is more than that, very senior adcom member, and done losta,lotsa interviews in all cities, including Shanghai in the past, and London, etc. etc. Viz. some of her old questions below. IF anyone was interviewed by Ms, Chang this round and wants to give a report, please do so. GOOD LUCK SHANGHAI INTERVIEW KIDS!!!! --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eileen Chang

The interview went well, mostly the types of things we talked about and I think I did well!

Explain background
Why current job
Explain more about current job
Examples of teamwork, team dynamics
Career goals- explain why

Most of the rest was very specific to me, so we talked about where I am living, why, my travel with my job, how that impacts me, family, and some follow up questions on above like, explain, talk a bit more etc.

It was calm and nice interview, very professional, and a bit short even- seemed we covered everything quickly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so interviewed with Eilleen Chang . She was very friendly, polite and eloquent. Interview was extremely focused on my application/industry (healthcare/pharma). However, general questions were:

Explain to me what you actually do in your current job?
What is it that has allowed you to enjoy success so far in your career?
What is your ideal job?
Do you find your industry exciting? Why?
What challenges do you forsee as a leader in your industry? How would you handle these?
Where do you see yourself working post MBA? (She wanted country, not job/role)
What would you contribute to HBS?
Why are you unique?
Is there anything else you want to tell me about yourself?
pilot wrote:
Hey Janus,

I had my interview in Bombay as well - on Monday 15th. I had exactly the same experience as you.

I feel I had somewhere read that Sandy (the HBS guru) had written that the interview won't "get you in for sure" but can definitely "get you out for sure" -[YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, DUDE--SANDY, THE HBS GURU] so I'm taking solace in the fact that I feel I am closer to the former than the latter.

All that being said, I am personally a bit disappointed with my performance and know I could certainly have done better. It just went by too fast and seemed so comfortable that somewhere I almost lost track of everything I wanted to say and just went with the flow, and possibly missed out on some key things.
Cheers.

Most HBS interviews, even successful ones, are unsatisfying, they dont want to you sell yourself, that is what the app. is for, in terms of major accomplishments, goals, and scores. They are testing to see 1. if you can in fact speak English; 2. if you can speak English for that 30 minutes; 3. If you can survive in case method enviro which often requires summarzing your pts, and not getting lost in the weeds; 4. if you are pain in the butt, annoying, not going to fit in (lots of unannoying people in real life fail this part because they act more salesman-y and boastful than in real life, or get confused and lost and ugly in their helplessness. What happened to most kids who reported on interviews above was that once interviewer asked you question, and you began on right foot, and it was clear where you were going, she cut you off, and asked new question, that is whole pt. she does not care about rest of your 4 part answer, we get it, I see where this is headed, next.......of course for you sitting there, you feel cut off and unfufilled. HAHA, HBS interviews, like most massages, rarely have a 'happy ending' they just poke around to make sure that you got two arms, two legs, etc. and that all your organs respond to quick stimuli, it IS NOT ABOUT MAKING YOU FEEL GOOD. :wink:
by the way, for all you applicants interviewed in Bombay, the interviewer was Pauline Jennett
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/pauline-jennett/7/427/201 and her style is warm but quick moving. I got reports from several clients (like 8) who interviewed with her this go-round, and they said pretty much the same as comments on this board. Fyi, below are some interviews she has done in the past, same style, same mode of asking questions, some kids said in the past that interview was 20-25 minutes. Once she got what she wants, DATS ALL FOLKS. As noted, interview is NOT about you. If you want love rub, go to Stanford.

OLDER ONES

Pauline Jennett
1) What was your favorite and worst class in college? why?
2) If your friends & family had to describe you in 3 words, what would they be?
3) How has your leadership developed? What is your current style?
4) What do you do in your role now? Give me examples..
5) How did you develop your speech?
6) Asked me a few questions about why I withdrew from a few classes in college
7) Asked me about my statement that I did too many extracurriculars in college and my grades suffered.. why? what have you learned?
8) Anything else you want to tell me?
My interviewer was Pauline Jennett.
Our interview was somewhere between 20-25 minutes (ended early). Any thoughts based on the length and the person?

INTERVIEWER: Pauline Jennett

When did you come into town?
Did you see a class?
Tell me about what you do at your company. (Follow-ups: What are your current cases? How many people do you manage?)
What has been your most interesting project?
Which people have influenced you the most at work?
Why did you choose your undergraduate institution?
Tell me a specific leadership role at work.
How are you a junior leader at your company?
How have you dealt with conflict?
What major challenges do you experience at your job?
Why did you choose your company?
People talk about a "generation gap." Do you think one exists and how do you think technology relates to that?
Why a Harvard MBA?
Which industries have you worked in?
What did you do to get an overview of each industry?
What is the biggest misconception about you?
How would your friends and family describe you?
Quote:
that somewhere I almost lost track of everything I wanted to say and just went with the flow, and possibly missed out on some key things.

dude, as noted, purpose of interview is NOT for you to dump your prepared script on adcom. (That is called the application). Purpose of interview is to see how you organize and talk when unplugged, that is why they often ask lotsa questions, and cut you off once they sense you got good answer to last one. If you lost track of what you were saying in present tense--NOT GOOD, if you lost track of prepared BS and sales points, don't worry, that was the whole point.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys,
Any news on the remaining 50 interviews that were supposed to go out later?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (R2 - Accepted & Matriculating), Kellogg (R1 - Accepted), Columbia (RD - Accepted), Stanford (R2 - Dinged)
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
pilot wrote:
Hey Janus,

I had my interview in Bombay as well - on Monday 15th. I had exactly the same experience as you.

I feel I had somewhere read that Sandy (the HBS guru) had written that the interview won't "get you in for sure" but can definitely "get you out for sure" -[YOU GOT THAT RIGHT, DUDE--SANDY, THE HBS GURU] so I'm taking solace in the fact that I feel I am closer to the former than the latter.

All that being said, I am personally a bit disappointed with my performance and know I could certainly have done better. It just went by too fast and seemed so comfortable that somewhere I almost lost track of everything I wanted to say and just went with the flow, and possibly missed out on some key things.
Cheers.

Most HBS interviews, even successful ones, are unsatisfying, they dont want to you sell yourself, that is what the app. is for, in terms of major accomplishments, goals, and scores. They are testing to see 1. if you can in fact speak English; 2. if you can speak English for that 30 minutes; 3. If you can survive in case method enviro which often requires summarzing your pts, and not getting lost in the weeds; 4. if you are pain in the butt, annoying, not going to fit in (lots of unannoying people in real life fail this part because they act more salesman-y and boastful than in real life, or get confused and lost and ugly in their helplessness. What happened to most kids who reported on interviews above was that once interviewer asked you question, and you began on right foot, and it was clear where you were going, she cut you off, and asked new question, that is whole pt. she does not care about rest of your 4 part answer, we get it, I see where this is headed, next.......of course for you sitting there, you feel cut off and unfufilled. HAHA, HBS interviews, like most massages, rarely have a 'happy ending' they just poke around to make sure that you got two arms, two legs, etc. and that all your organs respond to quick stimuli, it IS NOT ABOUT MAKING YOU FEEL GOOD. :wink:

Thanks for putting it in the right perspective, Sandy. I guess it's tough to do that when you're in the actual interview and then the period right after. This makes a lot of sense (of course!) and is reassuring indeed!

I guess now it's time to move on and stop thinking about it any more!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS R2 [interview]
GPA: 3.41 - Ivy
Send PM
So I guess we can conclude that it is more of a GOOD thing if they cut you off when you feel you are not rambling but on point, as that means she is satisfied...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone (Sandy the HBS Guru, I'm looking in your direction!) ever attempted to compile a list of who had "tough" and "easy" interviews and if there is any correlation between that and admission? :idea:
Janus wrote:
Has anyone (Sandy the HBS Guru, I'm looking in your direction!) ever attempted to compile a list of who had "tough" and "easy" interviews and if there is any correlation between that and admission? :idea:

yeah, I have compiled this list, and many others, based on the ~300 mock interivews I have done over the past 3 years: conclusion=NO PATTERN. Superstars sometimes get hard interviews (and blow them) while marginal kids get walk me thru your resume interviews, with no tuff guy questions about
1. WHY WE SHOULD TAKE YOU? LET'S HEAR YOUR ELEVATOR PITCH!
2. WHAT WILL BE HARDEST FOR YOU HERE, GIVEN X AND Y ON YOUR RECORD?
3. WE GET LOTS OF KIDS FROM YOUR BACKGROUND, MANY WITH BETTER SCORES, ETC. WHAT MAKES YOU SPECIAL?
4. IF YOU WERE HEAD OF TOYOTA NOW, WHAT SIX THINGS WOULD YOU DO?
5. TELL ME 3 MORE MISTAKES?
6. DESCRIBE SOMETHING COMPLEX TO ME IN REGULAR PERSON TERMS (A FAVORITE Q OF HRH LEOPOLD)
7. DESCRIBE A TIME WHEN YOUR VALUES WERE COMPROMISED AT WORK?
8. WHAT IS THE BIGGEST RISK WE TAKE IN ACCEPTING YOU?
All of the above tuff questions, which you think they might hit the marginal candidate with, but they don't. Folks who get questions like that, and more stressful interviews are JUST NOT LUCKY. There is no rhyme or reason for stress/difficult questions--but if you get hit w. a barrage of them, and get confused or demoralized, it can damage your chances.
ALL THAT SAID, MOST INTERVIEWS AND INTERVIEWERS ARE SUPER NICE AND DONT REALLY STRESS YOU OUT, BUT IT HAPPENS.
BY THE WAY, APPARENTLY MS. JENNETT HAS PADDLED ACROSS THE ARABIAN SEA AND IS DOING THE HBS INTERVIEWS IN DUBAI
hbsguru wrote:
by the way, for all you applicants interviewed in Bombay, the interviewer was Pauline Jennett
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/pauline-jennett/7/427/201 and her style is warm but quick moving. I got reports from several clients (like 8) who interviewed with her this go-round, and they said pretty much the same as comments on this board. Fyi, below are some interviews she has done in the past, same style, same mode of asking questions, some kids said in the past that interview was 20-25 minutes. Once she got what she wants, DATS ALL FOLKS. As noted, interview is NOT about you. If you want love rub, go to Stanford.

OLDER ONES

Pauline Jennett
1) What was your favorite and worst class in college? why?
2) If your friends & family had to describe you in 3 words, what would they be?
3) How has your leadership developed? What is your current style?
4) What do you do in your role now? Give me examples..
5) How did you develop your speech?
6) Asked me a few questions about why I withdrew from a few classes in college
7) Asked me about my statement that I did too many extracurriculars in college and my grades suffered.. why? what have you learned?
8) Anything else you want to tell me?
My interviewer was Pauline Jennett.
Our interview was somewhere between 20-25 minutes (ended early). Any thoughts based on the length and the person?

INTERVIEWER: Pauline Jennett

When did you come into town?
Did you see a class?
Tell me about what you do at your company. (Follow-ups: What are your current cases? How many people do you manage?)
What has been your most interesting project?
Which people have influenced you the most at work?
Why did you choose your undergraduate institution?
Tell me a specific leadership role at work.
How are you a junior leader at your company?
How have you dealt with conflict?
What major challenges do you experience at your job?
Why did you choose your company?
People talk about a "generation gap." Do you think one exists and how do you think technology relates to that?
Why a Harvard MBA?
Which industries have you worked in?
What did you do to get an overview of each industry?
What is the biggest misconception about you?
How would your friends and family describe you?
great interview question,
:shock:
Quote:
"We view your ideals as telling us the person you want to be, and we view your compromises as telling us the person you are. In light of that, could you tell me 3 ideals you have and 3 compromises you have made."
Quote:
Can you please shed us some light on why someone could be admitted to a "top 5" school such as Kellogg or MIT and dinged from a "top 15" (maybe top 10?) school such as Yale SOM or Tuck without interview when their essays were good enough ....??

Small schools, esp. Tuck and MIT and maybe Yale, are very aware of your interest level, and if you have not taken campus tour, visited classes, linked up w. school at Forums, or expressed detailed knowledge of school, etc. in app., or if they otherwise sense you are really not putting them in your top 3 choices, etc. by dint of geography, all the above, fit, etc. etc. they will just ding you. Lots of kids accepted to HWS are dinged WITHOUT interview or w. interview, at Columbia, Tuck, MIT etc. etc. Those places are pretty good at sniffing out cruisers and double-secret safety candidates, and dont waste their time. If they make an occassional mistake, well, tuff nuts for you.
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Kudos
How to get B school results-- the F. Scott Fitzgerald way.
Just got a Kindle, and, ahem, was hip enuf to figure out: 1. how to download free books, including the Scott Fitzgerald novel below, 2. How to clip parts of that book to my Clip File; 3. How to transfer my Clip file to my PC, so I could then repost the Clip here.

Gentlemen (and ladies), we have here the famous scene in The Near Side of Pardise where Fitzgerald’s hero and alter-ego Amory Blaine receives notice fr. the Princeton Registrar’s Office as to whether he had managed to Pass or Flunk Out of Princeton, after a semester of debauchary and diversion. It was well known to undergrads in that day that one did not have to actually read the notice sent from the Registrar, since those who passed received a letter on PINK paper, while those who flunked out, received a notice on BLUE paper.

Below is suggested, in this season of getting results, as some romantic advice about how to handle this anxiety-to-the-max momment. Altho I once had a client in Australia who got his Wharton results at noon (midnight in Australia) at a bar, and had a table-full of spirited friends around his laptop to cheer him on. As you may know, in Australia, they don’t really need excuses to start drinking, let alone what happens when there is, in fact, reason to celebrate.

Our Fitzgerald hero, whom we meet outside his dorm, shouting up to his room-mate, well, let’s pick it up from there . . .

Quote:
This Side of Paradise (Fitzgerald,F.Scott )

“Oh, Tom, any mail?”

”Yes, your result’s here.”

His heart clamored violently.

“What is it, blue or pink?”

“Don’t know. Better come up.”

He walked into the room and straight over to the table, and then suddenly noticed that there were other people in the room.

They seemed to be mostly friends, so he picked up the envelope marked “Registrar’s Office,” and weighed it nervously. “We have here quite a slip of paper.”

”Open it, Amory.”

”Just to be dramatic, I’ll let you know that if it’s blue . . . my short career is over. Watch my face, gentlemen, for the primitive emotions.”

He tore it open and held the slip up to the light.

”Well?”

”Pink or blue?”

“Say what it is.”

“We’re all ears, Amory.”

“Smile or swear–or something.”

There was a pause . . . a small crowd of seconds swept by . . . then he looked again . . .and another crowd went on into time.

“Blue as the sky, gentlemen. . . .”
Quote:
hi sandy

i am interested in transitioning from a engineering profile into a consulting role post mba. Just wanted some info regarding consulting firms

- do they recruit for a generalistic profile? or an industry specific one?
- what do mba students major in at schools to score a consulting job?
- which courses are popular/must to break into consulting?

top consulting firms look for smart peeps who know how to correctly use a knive and fork and drink soupwith a spoon w.out slurpping. IF you got an engineering background and also know how to work a fork, that is a plus. They sometimes hire for speciality practices,but for post MBA's, it is usual generalists. Courses etc. are BS, take whatever you want, no one cares about jive like that. Takes courses which are 1.easy, 2. will help you network, 3. sound interesting, 4. have good profs. A good number of consulting gigs evolve out of first year summer internship, and THAT is granted when you are taking required first year courses anyway. Or so I belive, if any folks want to modify above views, please do. That is my understanding of how the game is played.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 496 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
hbsguru wrote:
top consulting firms look for smart peeps who know how to correctly use a knive and fork and drink soupwith a spoon w.out slurpping. IF you got an engineering background and also know how to work a fork, that is a plus. They sometimes hire for speciality practices,but for post MBA's, it is usual generalists. Courses etc. are BS, take whatever you want, no one cares about jive like that. Takes courses which are 1.easy, 2. will help you network, 3. sound interesting, 4. have good profs. A good number of consulting gigs evolve out of first year summer internship, and THAT is granted when you are taking required first year courses anyway. Or so I belive, if any folks want to modify above views, please do. That is my understanding of how the game is played.

What a pleasure to read these lines instead of the usual politically correct BS.

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
2 more weeks !!

What are you guys doing to kill time?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
A mix of a 1 week vacation around India and endless replaying of the interview in my head, (it probably gets more distorted every time I try to recall it). And then telling myself "oh interview is only part of it" and hoping....

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  64   65   66   67   68   69   70  ...  79   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts