Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Consulting, Entrepreneurship, High Tech
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink]
Just flew back home from the interview at hub location. The weirdest thing ever. The interview was full of questions that were completely unexpected for me and somehow awkward.

I havent definitely cracked it but don't thing I blew it either. Time will tell...anyhow, I am fully aware that I could get a ticket to dingville next April 5th...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
latammc wrote:
Just flew back home from the interview at hub location. The weirdest thing ever. The interview was full of questions that were completely unexpected for me and somehow awkward.

I havent definitely cracked it but don't thing I blew it either. Time will tell...anyhow, I am fully aware that I could get a ticket to dingville next April 5th...

Confused, what do you mean by "awkward"?
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
 Q49  V40
Send PM
vcn2010 wrote:
latammc wrote:

Confused, what do you mean by "awkward"?

The interviewer asked me around 10 to 15 questions in just 30 minutes. Questions that were completely uncorrelated with each other. I mocked with around 20 different questions on my background, job history, etc etc, but probably none of the questions I was asked was in that list.

A couple of questions hit me off guard...dont know, it was not a behavioral interview, it was just rare...
Sandy,

for HBS interview - if I blabbered slightly, but did manage to answer all questions, without going off track (too much), do you think that is an automatic ding?

or can it fall under category of mediocre interview?

i am just afraid i blew it b/c of slight blabbering for some questions.

thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
good luck, but you have to be there. If what you are describing is some normal nerves which setttled down, that is OK, if what you are describing is systemic habit in interview of drifting,and giving both too long, and not on the point answers, that could be dingsville. If you were solid but initially shaky but banal, it could depend on rest of app, w. interview being small negative. Interviews are scary . . .a series of small boo-boos can have real bad outcomes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Quote:
A couple of questions hit me off guard...dont know, it was not a behavioral interview, it was just rare...

Latammc, could you pls share what kind of questions caught you off guard? I will be having my HBS interview next week and would love to hear your experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Chicago R1 (Accepted), HBS R1 (Accepted), Kellogg R1 (Accepted)
 Q48  V44
Send PM
Pls update round 1 role call stats - admitted R1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I heard the interviewers don't hand out business cards which makes sending a thank you note a bit tough. What do you guys think? Is it worth sending a general one to admissions or is that too much?
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V40
Send PM
KBCalifornia wrote:
I heard the interviewers don't hand out business cards which makes sending a thank you note a bit tough. What do you guys think? Is it worth sending a general one to admissions or is that too much?

I don't even remember the name of my interviewer since he didn't give me a card. It will be difficult to issue a thank you note.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Anybody else have any weird interviews? Seems HBS is notorious for them....
Can you think of any rational reason for a Wharton undergrad with several years of consulting experience (McK) to matriculate at a school like Kellogg, Sloan or CBS? Are any schools except for HSW a step down?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. did not get into HSW
2. is getting kicked out of McK or needs MBA for personal, recreational, or serious reasons.
3. Wants to get back into consulting, etc. or sniff around at other career ops
4. Has real, real narrow but tight attractions to K, MIT, CBS etc. e.g. engineering type and wants to get involved w. enterp. at MIT elabs or Media Center, wants to be in New York, or Chi, or enjoys mellow K atmsophere and campfire/Kumbia attitude.
5. family/spouse location reasons
6. Guy or Gal w. McK exp. who goes to K, MIT, Chi or Col can have real good outcomes--altho sure, first rule of Fight Club: go to best Fight Club you can get into.
THANK YOU NOTES AT HBS POST INTERVIEW
Quote:
HBS does not expect thank you's, nor did anyone I met at Admit weekend or any of my friends at HBS send thank you notes. So I wouldn't worry about it.

that is solid advice. Unless something unusal happened like interviewer lent you $50 to get home after you were mugged, etc. It is not that no one sends thank you notes, MANY do, but it does not make a diff. They often give you card w. email address admissions@hbs.edu which is just a collecting pt for unread thank you notes (or more correctly, thank you notes chuckled over by admin type person b4 chucking, or circulating if any are part. funny, annoying, gaffe-filled, obscene, or hysterically sychophantic. WALL OF SHAME MATERIAL)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Internet
Schools:Stanford, HBS (interview)
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Product Management
WE 2: Software Engineer
Send PM
Curious about something. At the interview they gave out a pamphlet with a story stapled in the center of it. The story in mine was called "Keeping Google Googley". Just curious if everyone got the same story or if they personalized it (I work at Google)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:HBS
Send PM
colequinn wrote:
Curious about something. At the interview they gave out a pamphlet with a story stapled in the center of it. The story in mine was called "Keeping Google Googley". Just curious if everyone got the same story or if they personalized it (I work at Google)

I visited in the fall and picked up that same pamphlet.

Anything surprising on the interview? Were they nice?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Internet
Schools:Stanford, HBS (interview)
 Q50  V42
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Product Management
WE 2: Software Engineer
Send PM
Very nice. I had Hillary in the Menlo Park office and it was very conversational and friendly. My favorite question was "If you could take the rest of the day off, what would you do." My answer: take my dog to the beach. Kind of random. All other questions were fairly expected. We spent some time talking about the career aspirations I wrote of.
Manager
Manager
 Q49  V40
Send PM
colequinn wrote:

Dude, it was just a coincidence. The pamphlet is unique.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
GPA: 3.66
Send PM
colequinn wrote:
Very nice. I had Hillary in the Menlo Park office and it was very conversational and friendly. My favorite question was "If you could take the rest of the day off, what would you do." My answer: take my dog to the beach. Kind of random. All other questions were fairly expected. We spent some time talking about the career aspirations I wrote of.

I think they just try to ask the normal questions in veiled albeit interesting ways. Like yours would normally have been, "what do you like to do in your free time". I was interviewed by the incredible, great, youthful and lovely (you never know who reads these things) Ms. Deirdre Leopold herself. In all seriousness she was very nice and down to earth, and even though I could tell it was not meant to be conversational it was, as I think it was in both of our natures to make it as such. Anyway one example for me was she asked me the question: "Lets say it is New Years Eve and the ball just dropped, what big change would you focus on for the coming year?" - obviously other places would ask "what is your biggest weakness (ie something you are focusing on improving about yourself).

To be honest I really enjoyed the interview. It kept me on my toes as the question were all worded as scenarios and there were a lot of 180 degree shifts. Actually thinking about it, I can understand why they ask this questions this way, and it probably relates to the case method system - cases are scenarios themselves and the ability to quickly absorb and process them, then form an argument and present it are what they are looking for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
HERM3S wrote:
colequinn wrote:

I think they just try to ask the normal questions in veiled albeit interesting ways. Like yours would normally have been, "what do you like to do in your free time". I was interviewed by the incredible, great, youthful and lovely (you never know who reads these things) Ms. Deirdre Leopold herself. In all seriousness she was very nice and down to earth, and even though I could tell it was not meant to be conversational it was, as I think it was in both of our natures to make it as such. Anyway one example for me was she asked me the question: "Lets say it is New Years Eve and the ball just dropped, what big change would you focus on for the coming year?" - obviously other places would ask "what is your biggest weakness (ie something you are focusing on improving about yourself).

To be honest I really enjoyed the interview. It kept me on my toes as the question were all worded as scenarios and there were a lot of 180 degree shifts. Actually thinking about it, I can understand why they ask this questions this way, and it probably relates to the case method system - cases are scenarios themselves and the ability to quickly absorb and process them, then form an argument and present it are what they are looking for.

Thanks for sharing.
But I heard having an interview with Leopold means ur chance of admission is doubling down...
not becoz of u, but i guess it's becoz she's esp. harsh in selecting students...
but good luck to you!!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  62   63   64   65   66   67   68  ...  79   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts