Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 09:49 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 09:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Send PM
Re: Looking for renewable energy marketing / VC / Entrpr. School [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Thanks for the props. Let me know if you need anything else.
-PL

rossmoss87 wrote:
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Ross,

Right now I think your chances at Booth and Stern are solid for the part-time programs if you can find work in Chicago or New York. For full-time, you are probably going to need that magic 700+ GMAT score. Your GPA helps a lot, but you are a young applicant, which means the school is going to think "well, there's plenty of time" and not cut you any slack.

On that point of being younger ... you are going to have to really showcase why now is the time rather than, say, two years from now. You are also going to have to highlight maturity at every turn. If you do those things, second tier programs are certainly within reach. But you have to be sure you want to fire off that round now rather than get the GMAT up and put yourself firmly in the mix for the elite programs. For what you want to do, that field is going to cherry pick from the very best schools. Even if second tier programs have programs in those areas, they aren't going to have as much luck placing people into those handful of awesome jobs.

I see Haas, Texas, and MIT as the best programs for you, with Stern and Booth (among others) being viable as well. If you can even get up to a 680 or so, it would help a lot. With a 650 you can still give it a run, but it's just going to be tougher to be young and low on the test, because it is so easy for an admissions officer to take himself or herself off the hook.

Hope this helps!

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your insight!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Thanks for the props. Let me know if you need anything else.
-PL

rossmoss87 wrote:
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Ross,

Right now I think your chances at Booth and Stern are solid for the part-time programs if you can find work in Chicago or New York. For full-time, you are probably going to need that magic 700+ GMAT score. Your GPA helps a lot, but you are a young applicant, which means the school is going to think "well, there's plenty of time" and not cut you any slack.

On that point of being younger ... you are going to have to really showcase why now is the time rather than, say, two years from now. You are also going to have to highlight maturity at every turn. If you do those things, second tier programs are certainly within reach. But you have to be sure you want to fire off that round now rather than get the GMAT up and put yourself firmly in the mix for the elite programs. For what you want to do, that field is going to cherry pick from the very best schools. Even if second tier programs have programs in those areas, they aren't going to have as much luck placing people into those handful of awesome jobs.

I see Haas, Texas, and MIT as the best programs for you, with Stern and Booth (among others) being viable as well. If you can even get up to a 680 or so, it would help a lot. With a 650 you can still give it a run, but it's just going to be tougher to be young and low on the test, because it is so easy for an admissions officer to take himself or herself off the hook.

Hope this helps!

Respectfully,

Paul Lanzillotti

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your insight!

Hi Paul. Thanks again for your reply and insight. Quick question for you. Do you know if my Federal work experience is something that is unique compared to that of other typical applicants? Does this help me or hurt me?

Just to give more context, here is some more information on my work experience.

I have worked every year of my undergrad career, and during my senior year, I interned at the US Environmental Protection Agency (which turned into a full time job right after graduation). I was accepted straight out of undergrad into an exclusive (25 people accepted nationwide) management and leadership program at EPA headquarters. This 2 year program allows me to do 4 rotations throughout the government, and I am given various developmental and managerial trainings throughout the two years (such as 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, and Situational Self-Leadership). I am also put on a fast-track salary ladder, meaning my salary increases faster than a typical employee as long as my annual reviews are exemplary.

My first rotation lasted for 1 year, and I worked directly for a Presidential political appointee (whose name is very recognizable to those in the environmental and /or political business). As her special assistant, I did everything from preparing her for her meetings, writing her speeches, organizing events she was attending, editing press releases, summarizing meetings for her, and I also become somewhat of an adviser to her for her policy decisions. At the culmination of my year with her, she awarded me the Superior Accomplishment Recognition Award (also $1500 came with it) for going "above and beyond what was required of me, and creating a more efficient, productive office in the most turbulent of times." I was also given a $10,000 promotion due to an excellent annual performance review.

I then moved on to a higher office within EPA, where I worked on Smart Growth initiatives for local businesses and communities, as well as for state governments. Many of my tasks were quantitatively heavy, with statistical and economic analysis being key for my major project - an internal white paper describing the consumption patterns of Generation Y and its implications on the market, economy, Smart Growth and the business community. I also performed various data gathering tasks for the President's America's Great Outdoors Initiative, and created a fact sheet regarding the economic benefits of urban parks - which was used in a meeting with the President shortly thereafter.

Currently, I am the energy and environment fellow for a U.S. Senator on capitol hill. I work in his D.C. office under his legislative assistant for energy and environment. There, I work on both national and state energy and environment issues, drafting talking points, researching various energy and environment topics, working with other offices to introduce bills to advance green energy and green jobs, as well as overall climate and green jobs marketing (convincing the people that climate change is not only real, but is a business reality and that there is immense opportunity for American businesses to become major players in this emerging, global market).

In terms of letters of recommendation, I would be able to get very strong letters from all of my bosses from each of these positions. Again, do you think my work experience is unique to the overall applicant pool, and is that a good or bad thing?

Thanks so much!
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Yes, I think it is unique and it is hugely helpful and positive (and also helps with being younger, as it takes you off the beaten path) IF you make sure to take all of this great stuff, identify the transferability, and really connect it with the post-MBA goals. We work with a lot of "non-traditional" applicants, so you should check us out with a free consultation. PM me or email mba@amerasiaconsulting.com and we'll get you set up.

-PL
GMAT Club Bot