Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:16 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [33]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Terry, Georgia Tech
 Q50  V40
GPA: 7.87
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 117 in 1 week... my debrief [#permalink]
Hi! My name is Vivian, and I need to prepare myself for the TOEFL. The bad thing is, I only have two days to prepare (I found out I needed to take the test yesterday after school, started preparing today after I got home from school. I still have tomorrow and Friday. My test is on Saturday at 10:00am in Beijing)

I read through your detailed explanation of the TOEFL, and found it very useful. But I'm still a kind of in a state of confusion/frustration over how to prepare for the TOEFL, since this has all been really rushed... so I would really appreciate your help!

The reading section should be okay, I'm a fast reader. But I'm not very good at interpreting the question and choosing the best answer... and sometimes I feel like I don't understand what the article is talking about (im in 8th grade). But I feel like the time they give for reading is enough for me to get a reasonably good score.

I'm not worried about the listening section questions, but I'm really worried about the actual test taking conditions. Is it really loud with all the other people in the room? What can I do to avoid being distracted? And what do I do if I really can't hear anything?

I'm most worried about the speaking section. I speak clearly (English is my best language, after Chinese), but I'm afraid of being nervous at the test and not knowing what to say, since the prep time is so short. So I'll probably be stammering and saying a lot of 'ums' and 'likes'. Will that affect my score a lot? And I don't know how to time my response to exactly 45 seconds or whatever. Do you have any suggestions for me?

I'm not that scared of the writing section, because I like typing and writing =)

Anyways I don't know how well I will do on the TOEFL, are there any practice tests that give you a score? That would be really helpful for me. I am aiming for at least above 100. You got full marks for three of the sections, which I find really amazing.... is it really that easy? Because my mom is always telling me I really have to focus on TOEFL right now for these two days, and forget about school-work (which I don't want to do). What do you suggest?

Thank you so much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [2]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
:-D
vivsters wrote:
Hi! My name is Vivian, and I need to prepare myself for the TOEFL. The bad thing is, I only have two days to prepare (I found out I needed to take the test yesterday after school, started preparing today after I got home from school. I still have tomorrow and Friday. My test is on Saturday at 10:00am in Beijing)

I read through your detailed explanation of the TOEFL, and found it very useful. But I'm still a kind of in a state of confusion/frustration over how to prepare for the TOEFL, since this has all been really rushed... so I would really appreciate your help!

The reading section should be okay, I'm a fast reader. But I'm not very good at interpreting the question and choosing the best answer... and sometimes I feel like I don't understand what the article is talking about (im in 8th grade). But I feel like the time they give for reading is enough for me to get a reasonably good score.

I'm not worried about the listening section questions, but I'm really worried about the actual test taking conditions. Is it really loud with all the other people in the room? What can I do to avoid being distracted? And what do I do if I really can't hear anything?

I'm most worried about the speaking section. I speak clearly (English is my best language, after Chinese), but I'm afraid of being nervous at the test and not knowing what to say, since the prep time is so short. So I'll probably be stammering and saying a lot of 'ums' and 'likes'. Will that affect my score a lot? And I don't know how to time my response to exactly 45 seconds or whatever. Do you have any suggestions for me?

I'm not that scared of the writing section, because I like typing and writing =)

Anyways I don't know how well I will do on the TOEFL, are there any practice tests that give you a score? That would be really helpful for me. I am aiming for at least above 100. You got full marks for three of the sections, which I find really amazing.... is it really that easy? Because my mom is always telling me I really have to focus on TOEFL right now for these two days, and forget about school-work (which I don't want to do). What do you suggest?

Thank you so much!

Hi Vivian,

To be very honest I thought I managed some sort of a miracle by preparing in such a short time, but 2 days? That is just unbelievable! How come you got into this situation? Anyways, provided you are sincere enough you can still make it happen.
For reading, you do NOT have to understand the whole passage. But you do have to look smartly as the answers are provided in the passage itself. For example, the question is… why is China beautiful? In the passage it says… The beauty of China lies in its people. So the answer would be the option mentioning people. You see now what I mean by direct references? This is just a random example I gave you, but I the actual thing should not be too different. Make sure you do not become overconfident as you are a fast reader, and scan each and every line carefully till you find your answer!
For listening, no usually the test taking conditions are carefully monitored so that no test taker is disturbed. Even after putting your headset on you feel you can hear the murmur in the background, simply turn the volume up. And if you cannot hear at all, just raise your hand and notify the invigilator. But be rest assured the only way you will not be able to hear even with the volume at its maximum in your headphone is if 10 people start shouting at the top of their voices simultaneously, which is highly unlikely to happen!
For speaking, practice for these 2 days to speak on a topic for 45 seconds. Make sure you have a stopwatch with you when you practice. And also, speak short sentences. That will reduce the “um” and “you know”s in your speech. Remember, a short but smart speech is all that is required. For example, the topic is which country do you find most interesting and why? The response… I find Egypt most interesting. It is because of 2 reasons. Firstly, Egypt is a country with very ancient cultural roots. I find it intriguing to study about pharaohs and pyramids and would like to visit the country if I get the chance. Secondly, there are still undiscovered secrets in Egypt. I wish to unveil some of those when I grow up. Hence, Egypt is the country that intrigues me most. This reply would take hardly 30 seconds even if you stammer, but would probably fetch you your desired score. If you speak nearly as well as you write, you’ll breeze through. Only, make sure you know which points to mention when you are speaking. In the above example, points are ancient culture and undiscovered mysteries.
I hope this helps you. I am sorry but I am not aware of any mock TOEFL tests. Also, I would not like people to think that i socred well because the test was easy :-D ! But with the right approach you can certainly do very well! Please let me know if I can be of more help. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
samidh wrote:
:-D
vivsters wrote:

Thank you so much!

Hi Vivian,

To be very honest I thought I managed some sort of a miracle by preparing in such a short time, but 2 days? That is just unbelievable! How come you got into this situation? Anyways, provided you are sincere enough you can still make it happen.
For reading, you do NOT have to understand the whole passage. But you do have to look smartly as the answers are provided in the passage itself. For example, the question is… why is China beautiful? In the passage it says… The beauty of China lies in its people. So the answer would be the option mentioning people. You see now what I mean by direct references? This is just a random example I gave you, but I the actual thing should not be too different. Make sure you do not become overconfident as you are a fast reader, and scan each and every line carefully till you find your answer!
For listening, no usually the test taking conditions are carefully monitored so that no test taker is disturbed. Even after putting your headset on you feel you can hear the murmur in the background, simply turn the volume up. And if you cannot hear at all, just raise your hand and notify the invigilator. But be rest assured the only way you will not be able to hear even with the volume at its maximum in your headphone is if 10 people start shouting at the top of their voices simultaneously, which is highly unlikely to happen!
For speaking, practice for these 2 days to speak on a topic for 45 seconds. Make sure you have a stopwatch with you when you practice. And also, speak short sentences. That will reduce the “um” and “you know”s in your speech. Remember, a short but smart speech is all that is required. For example, the topic is which country do you find most interesting and why? The response… I find Egypt most interesting. It is because of 2 reasons. Firstly, Egypt is a country with very ancient cultural roots. I find it intriguing to study about pharaohs and pyramids and would like to visit the country if I get the chance. Secondly, there are still undiscovered secrets in Egypt. I wish to unveil some of those when I grow up. Hence, Egypt is the country that intrigues me most. This reply would take hardly 30 seconds even if you stammer, but would probably fetch you your desired score. If you speak nearly as well as you write, you’ll breeze through. Only, make sure you know which points to mention when you are speaking. In the above example, points are ancient culture and undiscovered mysteries.
I hope this helps you. I am sorry but I am not aware of any mock TOEFL tests. Also, I would not like people to think that i socred well because the test was easy :-D ! But with the right approach you can certainly do very well! Please let me know if I can be of more help. All the best!

Thank you so much for the help! I feel a little better now.

I have one question about the scoring system though... I know they grade you like on a 1-5 or 1-4 scale, and average it for each section, but how do they convert that to the 30 point scale? Do you have to get everything 5 to get 30?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Regarding how they score, you may find useful this post
everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-toefl-100641.html
Sections:
- How do they grade the Speaking section?
- How do they grade the Writing section?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Hi samidh,

Great result and excellent thread! gooood job mate ! :)
I am planning to take TOEFL in one week and advice and help would be much much appreciated :!:

I am most of all concerned with my speaking section ( my current level is 23 points out of 30). So i would like you shed some light on speaking section and your preparation

Could you please explaine me a little bit the following:
1. You said "But when I started speaking on the topics in the downloaded material from the ETS website" - could you please attach here or/and let me know where can I find "topics in the downloaded material from the ETS" - I have visited the ETS's web site but did not find those materials.

2.you said "first thing I did was download about 100 speaking topics" - could you please attach or share the link?!

3.you said "TOEFL Instructional videos - Speaking & Writing Very useful by resh" - :) sorry again , but could find this post.

4. you said "The only practice I could manage for the last 4 subsections in speaking was by speaking on the topics in the ETS software. " - So is it another software for first 2 topics and 4 last topics? - if yes, please let me know where to download them/

Thank you a lot!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit wrote:
Hi samidh,

Great result and excellent thread! gooood job mate ! :)
I am planning to take TOEFL in one week and advice and help would be much much appreciated :!:

I am most of all concerned with my speaking section ( my current level is 23 points out of 30). So i would like you shed some light on speaking section and your preparation

Could you please explaine me a little bit the following:
1. You said "But when I started speaking on the topics in the downloaded material from the ETS website" - could you please attach here or/and let me know where can I find "topics in the downloaded material from the ETS" - I have visited the ETS's web site but did not find those materials.

2.you said "first thing I did was download about 100 speaking topics" - could you please attach or share the link?!

3.you said "TOEFL Instructional videos - Speaking & Writing Very useful by resh" - :) sorry again , but could find this post.

4. you said "The only practice I could manage for the last 4 subsections in speaking was by speaking on the topics in the ETS software. " - So is it another software for first 2 topics and 4 last topics? - if yes, please let me know where to download them/

Thank you a lot!!!

Thank You Pkit!

To answer your questions:

1) Since you have your test in a week, I assume you have already registered in the ETS website. The software I was referring to is available in the ETS website as free downloadable material. It has one example for each of the sub sections in the writing section. You will also find there some scored sample responses, which will give you a very good idea on the type of responses they want. If at all you do not find it there, try google and it is sure to come up. I am sorry but I do not remember how I navigated to that page, but I can assure you that it was in the ETS website itself.

2) Again, I googled them out. There are loads of material in the net, and if you give about 15 minutes on the net, I am sure you will find them too. https://global-english.lefora.com/2008/0 ... -open-cho/ this is one link. I am also attaching a PDF where you will get some help. I do not remember its source.

3) toefl-instructional-videos-speaking-writing-very-useful-100611.html

4) This is the same software referred to in the first question.
Attachments

toefl-ibt-sample-questions-2006.pdf [907.43 KiB]
Downloaded 636 times

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Thanks a tone mate! :)

I had thought that there is a special list list of 100 topics for TOEFL speaking provided by ETS. - I am sorry I misunderstood you! I managed to find a listening partner - native speaker so with your help and resources available here I would manage to receive at least 100 points next week.
thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Pkit wrote:
Thanks a tone mate! :)

I had thought that there is a special list list of 100 topics for TOEFL speaking provided by ETS. - I am sorry I misunderstood you! I managed to find a listening partner - native speaker so with your help and resources available here I would manage to receive at least 100 points next week.
thanks a lot!

I am sure you'll score much more than 100. All the Best!

Btw, if you can manage the time, please provide some feedback on my chances of making it in to my target schools this year. Would really appreciate it. You will find it at profile-evaluation-can-i-make-it-105596.html
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Wow 30 out 30 on the writing section, I'm impressed!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Business
Send PM
Thank you for debrief...
I would like to ask How many word you have nearly written in the first section of the writing?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Good job and congrats for your score!
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Fairness wrote:
Thank you for debrief...
I would like to ask How many word you have nearly written in the first section of the writing?

Hi Fairness,

I did not get your question. Writing was the last section, not the first. Do you want to know how long my essays were? My essays were more or less equal in terms of the number of words. I do not remember the count exactly but it probably was around 510 for each.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Got an interview call from Terry today. Wish me luck Friends!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Great score and detailed debrief
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Great job and congrats for your score! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
A question was asked by me to samidh.

Many Many congratulation for highest score.

I need to get just 80 and I got 54 last year. I lost somewhat self confidence but I have already started practice from last 15 days but I could not see anything going correct for me. I am referring easiest book of TOEFL even though I am getting minimum 10-15 errors to whole reading section and I also have problem with understanding information if high level vocabulary is used according to me. I have to read paragraph twice and I always choose wrong answer in vocabulary types of question. In listening, I can see somewhat improvement but in reading, I am little bit disappointed. I also have problem with idea generation which make me suffering from speaking and writing sections. Please suggest something for me. Today is 17th march and planning to 26th March because I have no more time. If I waste even a single day, it will lead to a big loss to me at the end while sending application.

Please reply
waiting for reply.

Thanking You

He replied
Hi,

I have a few tips for you.

For writing and speaking, please follow the templates given in the forums. if you have trouble finding them, please message rid82 and im sure she'll help you. Practice speaking and writing with those templates. It will help you immensely. but please keep on practising till your exams.

For listening and reading, i don't think it would be much of a prob. Since you are able to follow english and comprehend the meaning, it would be easier since you have to understand what is meant and just select the correct options. its not very difficult honestly, but if you are not comfortable then you can practice with some simple RC passages for GMAT.

Lastly, please work on your grammar. not very tough rules, but simple ones like "was/were is usually followed with ...ing" etc.

Do let me know for any further help. I would suggest you to post in my thread (117 in 1 week...) so that in future if people have similar problems he/she can refer to those posts for help.

All the Best!

Thanking You very very much for reply.
I will try my best to recover my self. Next time, I will post question on your thread if I have question.

One last question,
I need a person/group with whom I join for getting regular feedback on my essays and speaking responses, a mentor. Do you want me to suggest where I should put my responses to get regular feedback.????
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Ross '14 (M$)
Send PM
My Kudos for GURU!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2