Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:INSEAD Class of J'12
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General
Schools:SBS, JBS(ding w/o interview), HEC
 Q48  V35
GPA: 3.5
WE 1: SCI-12 yrs
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:SBS
GMAT 2: 720
Send PM
Re: Oxbridge 2011 applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
BigRedEnvEng wrote:
Here's an interesting dilemma. I scanned my transcripts into a pdf document, but the file is too large (right now it's 1.4 MB, they allow up to 500 KB). Any suggestions on how to compress a pdf document? Or how to change the resolution so the document scans at a lower resolution?

when scanning, try lower resolution (usual defaults are 300dpi, try 150 and the image should be decent enough quality and reduce the file size too)

good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
when u scan as a jpg (as given in the above posts), and paste the jpg on a word doc, check the 'save as' drop down window. u will see a lot of choices, select the save as type pdf. in pdf, out of two choices 'optimise for standard or minimum size' select minimum size (online publishing). The file will save within the 500 kb desired 8-)
HTH
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
You can copy the content from pdf to word doc and then use doc-to-pdf converter. It will be fine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Send PM
Thanks for all the tips!

I ended up having to copy into black and white, scan as a TIFF file at 200 dpi x 200 dpi (the lowest resolution I could get on the machine), copy the TIFF images into a Word document, and then save the Word document as a pdf file. The transcript is 2 pages, not sure if that has something to do with my issues or the absurb amount of watermarks on the transcripts. Either way, I'm very grateful for all the suggestions, otherwise I would most probably still be pulling my hair out over this :?
INSEAD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:INSEAD (R1 Admit)
 Q51  V32 GMAT 2: 740  Q52  V39
WE 1: 5 years in Telecommunications.
Send PM
Hi, all. Just submitted my application for Cambridge R2.
M/30/GMAT 740/BSc/5 years telecom
Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Schools:Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
 Q46  V41
Send PM
OK, one last question on the Cambridge app (I know, I'm cutting it down to the wire).

They have the box on the Academic Information page where it asks whether you want to share any additional information. When do you feel it is necessary to share additional information? Is there a GPA cutoff at which point the adcom is going to want to know why you didn't ace all your classes in university? Are there GMAT splits that need to be explained? Right now I'm planning to leave it blank, but have considered writing something in the box a few times. Any guidance would be appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
anything such as reason for low scores, break in studies or anything you think you need to explain in respect of a weakness in the apl.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 613 [0]
 Q49  V32 GMAT 2: 700  Q49  V35
Send PM
Done with my interview with Oxford on Nov 29th. Awaiting results now...does anyone know the conversion rate of Oxford?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
BigRedEnvEng wrote:
OK, one last question on the Cambridge app (I know, I'm cutting it down to the wire).

They have the box on the Academic Information page where it asks whether you want to share any additional information. When do you feel it is necessary to share additional information? Is there a GPA cutoff at which point the adcom is going to want to know why you didn't ace all your classes in university? Are there GMAT splits that need to be explained? Right now I'm planning to leave it blank, but have considered writing something in the box a few times. Any guidance would be appreciated!

If you need to do it, do it. But if your GPA and GMAT are at least at their average, writing about them in the optional section might just draw unnecessary attention to them.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International business, pharmaceutical, bio-tech
Schools:Cambridge/Judge '11
Send PM
acer2knight wrote:
Done with my interview with Oxford on Nov 29th. Awaiting results now...does anyone know the conversion rate of Oxford?

I don't know exact numbers, but from following last year's discussions I have a hunch it's high, around 50%.
Manager
Manager
 Q46  V41
Send PM
OK, application submitted to Cambridge for R2. Simultaneously nervous and excited...

F/30/GMAT 710/BSc/4 yr Army, 4 yr engineering consulting

Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
acer2knight wrote:

Last Year around 1100 applicants in total / approx 550 got invited for interview / 280 odd offered / 250 matriculating.. considering R3 has less application : offer rate I would like to believe that R1 should be > or = 50%.

All the best .. few more days to go...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Oxford'11
Send PM
kinny wrote:
bruinboi wrote:
this might be a dumb question, but does oxford have social clubs? I haven't found anything on their website and it's usually very easy to find club information for most schools.

Oxford's version is called Oxford Business Networks (Check the brochure for some info on that) and they exist for areas like consulting, finance, entrepreneuship, etc..

Hi,
There are two types: the ones run by MBAs - namely OBNs, mostly job-related (focused on an industry or a geographical region) and the ones run by College or University students, mostly sport or other interest related (e.g. rugby, gliding, yachting, microfinance, debate, wine tasting, etc).
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
I applied for Cambridge R2. I see the actual interview dates published, but when do interview decisions usually go out?
INSEAD School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools:INSEAD (R1 Admit)
 Q51  V32 GMAT 2: 740  Q52  V39
WE 1: 5 years in Telecommunications.
Send PM
Kudos
traveler wrote:
I applied for Cambridge R2. I see the actual interview dates published, but when do interview decisions usually go out?

From last year's thread, I noticed someone got an interview call on Friday, Dec 18, 2009. So it is likely to be Dec 17 this year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
a11c99 wrote:
kinny wrote:
bruinboi wrote:
this might be a dumb question, but does oxford have social clubs? I haven't found anything on their website and it's usually very easy to find club information for most schools.

Oxford's version is called Oxford Business Networks (Check the brochure for some info on that) and they exist for areas like consulting, finance, entrepreneuship, etc..

Hi,
There are two types: the ones run by MBAs - namely OBNs, mostly job-related (focused on an industry or a geographical region) and the ones run by College or University students, mostly sport or other interest related (e.g. rugby, gliding, yachting, microfinance, debate, wine tasting, etc).

Thanks a11c99, it always helps to hear from the horse's mouth!! - as they say...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance
Schools:LBS R1; Oxford R1; INSEAD
 Q35  V42 GMAT 2: 690  Q48  V37
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I hear Oxford releases decision a day early (they did for the interview as well)... In which case could find out soon (Round 1)...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  28