Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 11:27 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 11:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [3]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Re: My GMAT journey.... [#permalink]
Pretty even split, whats your targets core and when is G-day?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Needless to say that I'm targeting 700+. I have not booked the test yet, but I can give it anytime during March or April. I'm planning to apply for Spring 2012 or Fall 2012.
I could not finish V or Q section in time so I had to guess last 5 Q and 8 V questions. I'll definitely have to improve my timing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
What GMAT materials are you using to study?

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I reviewed MGMAT Tests and realized following mistakes/take away. It took almost half a day to review/re-do all the test problems:

Verbal

- Forgot to apply strategy to assumption CR questions.
- Issues with Must be true/Main point CR Questions especially of 700-800 level.
- Needs a lot of practice in RC. Should I use different strategy for RCs in the end to knock off some questions.

Quant error were mainly:
- Did not see question from 5000 feet level i.e. looking at a question with very broad minded approach. I looked at questions with very narrow minded approach and overlooked to get some similarities or symmetry in equations.
- DS was a major blow. I did not para phrase questions correctly.
- I definitely need to practice more Probability, Combinatorics and Work questions. i.e. go through Word Translation guide again.

I gained some confidence in my ability after getting 600+. I was living in dark with On and OFF preparation modes.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
I see your thread now. Cool. Good luck with the preparation.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Good luck with the prep y'all ... It'd be interesting to see your progress!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
During last few days, I did following to attack weaknesses realized during the test.
- I've gained confidence in SC, and I am no more scared of SC. I attempted some SC questions ,which I answered incorrectly earlier, from OG 12 and result show that my accuracy has increased. I gave Knewton SC free test and scored 17/21. Although 52 percentile was not great but it helped me gained enormous confidence.

- I completed CR inference/Main point questions form Verbal 2nd edition book and got only couple of them incorrect. I incorrectly answered this question during the test. I didn't find many problems similar to this. top-notch-91126.html

Should I attempt aristotle CR question bank? Suggestions???

- I revised Work/Rate/Combinatorics concepts. I plan to do advance section tomorrow and attempt WT questions bank online.
- RC major blow- I got RC99 and attempted first 4 passages. I consistently scored dismal 50% in these four passages and first few paragraphs are supposed to be easy. I wonder what will be result in difficult paragraphs :roll: . I'm having trouble with making passage map. I incorrectly answered both types of inference questions - one based on a specific paragraph and other based on complete passage. I'm finding hard to make a passage map and to relate how one para is related to previous para and to overall passage . :( :( :( Suggestions????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Marketing, Entreprenurship
Schools:Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
 Q50  V28 GMAT 2: 730  Q51  V40
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
During last few days, I did following to attack weaknesses realized during the test.
- I've gained confidence in SC, and I am no more scared of SC. I attempted some SC questions ,which I answered incorrectly earlier, from OG 12 and result show that my accuracy has increased. I gave Knewton SC free test and scored 17/21. Although 52 percentile was not great but it helped me gained enormous confidence.

- I completed CR inference/Main point questions form Verbal 2nd edition book and got only couple of them incorrect. I incorrectly answered this question during the test. I didn't find many problems similar to this. top-notch-91126.html

Should I attempt aristotle CR question bank? Suggestions???

- I revised Work/Rate/Combinatorics concepts. I plan to do advance section tomorrow and attempt WT questions bank online.
- RC major blow- I got RC99 and attempted first 4 passages. I consistently scored dismal 50% in these four passages and first few paragraphs are supposed to be easy. I wonder what will be result in difficult paragraphs :roll: . I'm having trouble with making passage map. I incorrectly answered both types of inference questions - one based on a specific paragraph and other based on complete passage. I'm finding hard to make a passage map and to relate how one para is related to previous para and to overall passage . :( :( :( Suggestions????

50% accuracy in the Low difficulty level passages of RC99 is not a good hit rate,if you ask me. But I think that it is good that at least you've realized on time that you have a way to go in RC. I suggest that you go through "Thursday with Ron" Study Hall on Reading Comprehension. Also go through some other strategies on RC in the RC forum here. Try implementing those strategies as you practise ahead and I think you should be able to improve. Aristotle CR questionbank has some good CR questions, so if you think that you have run out of CR questions you may wanna use them. However, if I were you ,at this point of time, I'd be more bothered about RC than about CR.
Keep us updated about your progress.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@shovitdhar- Thanks for your inputs. I've read many strategies from MGMAT RC, LSAT RC and GMAT Club forums. I thought I'd stick with this one- actively reading whole passage while taking small notes for each para and trying to get main idea. My hit rate on OG passages were better than RC99, somewhere around 65-75%. I never had good RC success rate, but I'll try harder and keep checking my mistakes. I'll go through videos from MGMAT as you suggested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
@rg1
When do you plan to take the exam ? How are you tackling CR because I am having trouble in CR as well ? And in the first line of your post, what scenario are you referring to which is described in Aristotle SC Grail ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
freakshalini wrote:
@rg1
When do you plan to take the exam ? How are you tackling CR because I am having trouble in CR as well ? And in the first line of your post, what scenario are you referring to which is described in Aristotle SC Grail ?

@freakshalini- I haven't booked the test date yet however, I'm planning for March end. I've read Powerscore CR book, MGMAT CR book and practice OG guides. All I can say is finding patterns and working on questions from different official sources is the key to success. I'll give another MGMAT CAT coming weekend and see whether my CR improves or not.

I was trying to mention following rule from SC Grail:
One of (group) is (Singular)
One of (group) that/which ARE - Plural
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Although I had been working slowly and steadily with Verbal/Quant OGs, I didn't update my progress on this thread.
- I completed 100 DS questions from Quant. This exercise calmed my nerves for DS.
- Revised Word Translations Guide from MGMAT.
- I tried some strategies for RC , but I finally settled with old strategy of reading whole passage while taking notes and paraphrasing the paragraphs. Passages from RC99 have 5 standard paragraphs whereas OG has mostly 3-4 paragraphs. Also, specific details questions are tougher to do on paper than on screen. Nevertheless, I'll keep practicing RC99.
- I started doing SC questions from Verbal OG. I'm feeling much better for SCs now:).
- Today, I'll revise my notes from Quant/SC before attempting MGMAT CAT1 tomorrow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
RC is one area where I have always had a problem, specially with those Inference questions. :evil:

To make things worse a lot of the recent test takers have said that they found the RC passages on the actual test to be much more difficult/longer than those in the OGs. I have completed the OG12 passages with around 85% strike rate but, given the above background, I think I would do some LSAT passages and thsoe high-difficulty passages from RC99 as well.

Don't wanna be surprised on test day :(

Have you booked a test date rg1?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
No. I haven't booked my test date yet. However, I'm planning to give GMAT anytime between march and April. I'm giving myself enough time to practice as much as I can.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Have you taken the MGMAT CATs yet?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I took MGMAT CAT2 today, and scored pathetic 590( Q44, V27). I had to guess on last 12 Quant questions and 11 Verbal questions. I'll review my test for next couple of day and come up with some strategy to attack individual sections.
I think I should practice several TIMED Quant and Verbal sections individually. Suggestions??

Till then, back to review mode....

Observations:
- DS improved after practicing all DS problems from OG12 + Quant OG. I correctly answered 9/12 DS questions, if I don't include the questions I guessed.
- SC has improved after practicing from various resources. I correctly answered 8/10 SC questions, if I don't include the questions I guessed.
- Guessing reduced quant score from 88 %ile (Q26) to 73 %ile (Q37).
- Guessing reduced verbal score from 66 %ile (Q30) to 48% (Q41).
- I still get stuck in reading details in CR/RC questions and miss the bigger picture. I follow this strategy during regular practice, but I can't follow during the test. arrgghhhh :cry: I still feel palpitations due to stress during the test especially in verbal. I somehow have to beat the stress to beat the test.

Question- I had to hide the clock every on every question during MGMAT tests. Is this feature similar to the one in actual GMAT? Does one has to hide the clock for every question in real GMAT? I thought once you hide the clock, it becomes permanently visible for last 5 minutes of the test?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Review of MGMAT CAT2
- I solved all quant problems untimed with very little difficulty in untimed fashion.
- I correctly solved many incorrectly answered CR problems in untimed fashion. It means I have basics right in place, but I need to focus on implementing the basics with clock ticking.

Target- I'll have to work on separate sections individually and TIMED. I'll attempt GMATClub tests and Kaplan verbal drills.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37321 posts