Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: My GMAT journey.... [#permalink]
Can someone comment on RC strategy from GMAT pill? I prefer reading full passage than skipping some sections. Does GMAT pill recommend similar strategy? Will it help to do RC pill now when I'm three weeks away from my GMAT?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Guys,

I'm having too many variations in my test results and in confidence. I screwed up timing on Knewton CAT2 and score bad in Quant and Verbal.
Although I worked on timing in CAT3 and felt very good during the test, my accuracy dropped. When I review my questions, I got 80% of them correct. I feel that I have concepts but somehow timed conditions affect my accuracy most. While reviewing, I just say this to myself 'how can I get this one wrong and why didn't I pick this pattern'. :( :(

CAT3 V27- Verbal mistakes
1 SC
7 CR
5 RC
Quant 43
10 mistakes with one streak of 4 incorrect questions during the end of the exam and rest 6 were fairly scattered.

I'm such low on confidence now and don't know where to focus. While this was rare moment as my wife says, I was drained out completely last evening and got cranky in the evening :(:( ( I've got my exam on May 18. I've just finished OG 12 CR(again) with 70% accuracy. Where should I focus my energies? Should I try PR 1012 for CR? Aristotle LSAT CR?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
rg1 wrote:
Can someone comment on RC strategy from GMAT pill? I prefer reading full passage than skipping some sections. Does GMAT pill recommend similar strategy? Will it help to do RC pill now when I'm three weeks away from my GMAT?

Hi,
I have been using GMATPill RC method and the strategies work for me!
GMATPill does not suggest reading the full passage. The main strategy is to read for the main idea/main structure of the passage.
- Read the first sentence of each paragraph to get the author's thought on the topic
- Connect the "DOT" of each paragraph
- Pay attention to the transition words, such as although, however, in contrast
- Cut the fluff: do not focus too much on details.

I think this strategy really works for dense passages with many details and info, such as natural science passages. You can read the whole passage if the content is light. I learn this strategy from talk2vj when I asked for his advice: https://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-g ... 12609.html

here are the link for GMATPill RC videos if you wanna try:
https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... feine.html
https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html
https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... deral.html
https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... ution.html

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
I'm such low on confidence now and don't know where to focus. While this was rare moment as my wife says, I was drained out completely last evening and got cranky in the evening :(:( ( I've got my exam on May 18. I've just finished OG 12 CR(again) with 70% accuracy. Where should I focus my energies? Should I try PR 1012 for CR? Aristotle LSAT CR?

I guess your weakness is CR, right?
Did you read PowerScore CR Bible? If you didn't, read it. If you did, read it again!
You should focus on some frequently tested CR question types, such as Strengthen, Weaken, and Assumption; spend time on Cause & effect reasoning chapter, too. Then practice 15-20 problems of each question type. e.g. after reading the strategy for Strengthen question, practice 15-20 Strengthen problems. I did not use the PR 1012, but used Aristotle LSAT CR. I created an excel workbook for Aristotle LSAT CR and all questions are categorized according to the question type. If you want this file, let me know.

Trust me, if you don't master the concepts, you can't increase your accuracy in CR. Besides, you still have time do revise the strategies. My friend was able to improve her CR accuracy during the last 2 weeks of her G-day. That really helped her to increase the confidence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@windofchange- Thanks for your response.
I had read powerscore CR and MGMAT CR and created notes for myself. I revise those notes along with Knewton notes regularly. I think I've got the concepts but timed environment gets better of me, making me lose focus. I'm going through Verbal Guide CR (second time). I'll compile incorrectly answered questions from OG and verbal guide and keep revising them over and over. Please send the spreadsheet for Aristotle LSAT CR. I'll think of attempting Aristotle CR questions once I finish revising OG and Verbal Guide CR questions TWICE.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Guys,
After getting couple of 600s, my score is back in V20s. If I work on RC for few days, accuracy in RC increases but cr and sc suffers. I had very good sc accuracy but now it's dropping.
I think my performance peaked at wrong time and my test is scheduled for may 27. I'm so frustrated because I can't replicate my verbal practice performance into timed tests.How to keep scores balanced especially in last couple of weeks before test?

Suggestion guys?

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Keep doing mini sets every day, such as 3 RC passages + 10 CRs + 10 SCs. Don't focus too much on any verbal areas.
I think your score dropped possibly because of tiredness + anxiety. Keep your cool and you'll be fine.
In the last 2 weeks, you should practice full-length CATs to build stamina for the real test. Remember to do AWA every time you take practice tests, so that you don't have to use much energy/brainpower to write them. Don't take TWO tests TWO days in a row--you will wear yourself out! besides, you need time to review the practice tests. Reviewing the tests, in my opinion, is more important than taking the tests.

Keep in mind that you have been thoroughly preparing for the test, you will answer every problem to your best ability.

Best of luck!

btw, what score are you targeting at?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the encouragement @windofchange.

You're right in pointing out doing one type of problems may affect other area and I should do mini sets. Earlier I was targeting 700 but looking at my current score I'll be satisfied with 650 and think of attempting again. I've been preparing for too long and don't want to change my test date. I'll give my best shot and come back harder next time if I have to.
I'll give one GMATPrep this week and see how it goes.
When I review my answers, I see that time pressure affects my accuracy big time. From past few weeks, I was timing myself during study sessions but full length test pressure is very different and affects me very badly.
Hope it goes 'reasonably' well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I don't know how to interpret this, but let me ask you guys.
I gave GMAT Prep 1 last week and got Q47, V22 and obviously was devastated. During verbal, I lost the test in first few minutes due to anxiety. After question 7 or 8 in verbal, I felt that I had screwed it up . Some questions were repeat from OG and even then I was reading the prompt many times. I could not understand any question after and kind of guessed most of the questions. I was waiting when this test would get over.

I had couple of drinks that day and tried to forget about that.

Today, I attempted the same test again to gain some confidence. I got Q48 and V39. Score is very skewed but let me tell you what I felt during the test. I remembered answers to 2 CR and 1 SC questions. Rest all of the questions were new and even got some OG repeats incorrect :( . I scored good in RC ( only two incorrect) and none of them was repeated from previous attempt.
Even during this test, I kept telling myself 'Don't worry it's just a practice test' and tried to keep my calm. Actually this has worked and I was not terrified during the test. I was reading the questions normally, using POE for most CR questions and got most of them correct too.
I've got the confidence but GMATPrep2 would the real decider. I think I'm at 47-48 level in Quant and 30-32 in verbal.
Comments and feedback?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Finally took off from work for GMAT :)..... Next 7 days will be crucial. I'll take 1 GMATPrep (probably 1 repeat) and 2 Knewton tests. As the test is approaching, I think I've way too much material to revise i.e. OG 12, Verbal 2nd edition guide, GMATPrep tests and Knewton ....phewww
Manager
Manager
Send PM
rg1 wrote:
Finally took off from work for GMAT :)..... Next 7 days will be crucial. I'll take 1 GMATPrep (probably 1 repeat) and 2 Knewton tests. As the test is approaching, I think I've way too much material to revise i.e. OG 12, Verbal 2nd edition guide, GMATPrep tests and Knewton ....phewww

Hey, don't take any practice tests during the last 2-3 days; otherwise, you will be worn out.

Wish you all the best!! we are waiting for your 650+ debrief :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
windofchange wrote:
rg1 wrote:

Hey, don't take any practice tests during the last 2-3 days; otherwise, you will be worn out.

Wish you all the best!! we are waiting for your 650+ debrief :)

Thanks @windofchange... I need some 'wind of change' for my final GMAT :)

I took Knewton CAT4 and got 610(Q45, V31). I don't want to harp on Knewton's accuracy, but Q45 for only 6 mistakes does not sound right.
During the middle of the verbal part of the test, some kids started playing music in library. That blew my concentration off. I was so much in the 'zone' and was feeling really good about verbal, and then suddenly got distracted for good 10 minutes and lost the test in the middle. I think i've developed a sense of timing provided concentration stays.

I'll take GMATPrep tomorrow and see where I really stand:). If I pull off Q 48-49 and V 32+, I'll really be happy.
Till then, review, review and more review....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
All right folks, it's pretty clear that I'm not gonna score above 600. Damn.
I gave GMATPrep 2 and scored pathetic q47 and v21. I don't know why I can't win over pre-exam jitters. I'm frustrated because I can't replicate my verbal practice performance into timed tests. If I don't get stressed before the exam, I score above V30 on many knewton tests.

It's very disheartening to see such a low score after going through various resources such as knewton, mgmat, OGs. Exam jitters and nervousness forced me not to apply basics. I couldn't solve cr questions under pressure and messed up the test.
This is it. :( :( :(

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Just to distract myself, I watched "pirates of the caribbean" couple of days ago:). Today, I visited test center and watched this video to calm my nerves down. Being confident and relaxed, I will rock the GMAT.

I love you, GMAT :).

Originally posted by rg1 on 26 May 2011, 09:56.
Last edited by rg1 on 26 May 2011, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Best of luck to you!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Official GMAT Score: 590 (Q47, V25)
Although one may find my debrief not worth reading, I'll post my experience in couple of days.
I'm taking a break of 10 days before I again start my journey for 700+ score. Till then, I'll do everything except GMAT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Well, am I allowed to say "Congrats" to you? :P
I personally think 590 is a good score, your quant score is decent.
Your real score is consistent with your practice test scores, hah?
We are waiting for your debrief!!!

P.S.: Pls don't ever think that a 590 debrief is not worth reading as a 760 debrief!! As you may not notice, many people here are in the similar situation as yours, but they don't have the confidence to write out their experience.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts