Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:04 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [12]
Given Kudos: 24
 Q43  V25 GMAT 2: 590  Q44  V27
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 892 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [3]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
We can simply dispense with A, B and C for using the singular verb ‘is’ rather than ‘are’. Between D and E,

d.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are –Here although the pronoun 'which’ refers to the bonds technically, logically it refers to the 'declining values' that the investors are using as a hedge. It makes no sense to say that a declining value is used as a hedge.

e.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are --- The appositive modifier sets the tone correct by directly referring to the bonds that are used as hedge.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42106 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves [#permalink]
Expert Reply
On second thoughts, the reason for D’s exclusions seems to be for more deep than apparent. While in regard to the referent for ‘which’ in D, it makes more sense to say that the phrase ‘the financial vehicle’ does stand for the bonds more eligibly than for the declining values, technically as well as logically. After all, bonds are financial vehicles and the noun sits smugly before the pronoun ‘which’. Logically a declining value can never be a financial instrument or a hedge.

There is an element of redundancy inherent in D. When we use something to get through something, the usage itself is known as hedging. There is no need to say again ‘use to hedge’ as in ‘D’. The simultaneous usage that ‘use the bonds to hedge’ is redundant. We can as well avoid the phrase ‘to hedge’ in D.

E subtly avoids redundancy and is a better choice. This is an example of how deep the GMAT can get.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4691 [2]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
vivgmat wrote:
Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is going to force currency trading to increase.

a.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is

b.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, is

c.) the financial vehicle which is hedged against by investors to get through the bear market is

d.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are

e.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are

Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are going to force currency trading to increase.

1. Declining Values ----->Are
2. Declining values of bonds --->against which investors hedge

Hence, (E) is the best...

Similar question to practice - declining-values-for-farm-equipment-and-land-the-collateral-129205.html
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 378
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Experts please elaborate why D is wrong....i did not find any grammatical error in both D& E
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15268 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
spradhan wrote:
Experts please elaborate why D is wrong....i did not find any grammatical error in both D& E

The difference between D and E has already been explained by kivalo above, though in my opinion, this difference is not a solid reason to eliminate D. Other than this slight change in meaning, I do not see any problem with option D.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619707 [0]
Given Kudos: 81613
Send PM
Expert Reply
vivgmat wrote:
Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is going to force currency trading to increase.

(A) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is

(B) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, is

(C) the financial vehicle which is hedged against by investors to get through the bear market is

(D) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are

(E) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are

Does anyone have an explanation? I realized you can eliminate A B C because they use "is" and you need "are" to keep it plural. I know that D sounds a but funny having "to hedge against to get through" however I chose D because I wanted to use which because without that part of the sentance the santence would still make sense?

MANHATTAN REVIEW OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Because ‘values’ is plural, you need the plural form of the verb ‘to be’. Eliminate A, B and C. The placement of the preposition ‘against’ in E is better than in D. Prepositions should not come at the end of phrases. Choice E is the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Kudos
Couldn't agree with any of the answers. 'Declining values for bonds', is not plural; values or bonds are not the subject, the subject is the clause as a whole, which is singular.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts