It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 02:26

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 24

WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.
Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2011, 09:32
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (00:51) correct 49% (01:00) wrong based on 328 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is going to force currency trading to increase.

(A) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is

(B) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, is

(C) the financial vehicle which is hedged against by investors to get through the bear market is

(D) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are

(E) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Does anyone have an explanation? I realized you can eliminate A B C because they use "is" and you need "are" to keep it plural. I know that D sounds a but funny having "to hedge against to get through" however I chose D because I wanted to use which because without that part of the sentance the santence would still make sense?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1140 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Re: Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2011, 09:48
But E is also correct.
"...,the financial vehicles...market, is an appositive, which provides additional infomation about the noun.

Also, in D, "to hedge against" seems that requires an object. It sounds ackward, isn't it?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1140 [0], given: 109

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 1170 [0], given: 39

Re: Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2011, 11:47

Kudos [?]: 1170 [0], given: 39

Manager
Manager

WE 1: 5.5+ years IT Prof.

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2011, 10:59
Baten80 wrote:
D is altering intent of the sentence.

how? could you please explain?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 404 [1], given: 123

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2011, 16:02
This post received
KUDOS
First split "is/are". d and e left. In d "which" is a spoiler. It refers to bonds

E remains.

Kudos [?]: 404 [1], given: 123

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 51

Show Tags

New post 07 Mar 2011, 22:19
MeinKampf wrote:
Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is going to force currency trading to increase.

a.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is (subject-verb disagree , values (plural) is the subject , so 'is' cant be used )

b.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, is ( awkward construction , the usage of 'to' twice )

c.) the financial vehicle which is hedged against by investors to get through the bear market is ( 'which is hedge against' becomes passive' , not preferred on the GMAT)

d.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are ( again awkward )

e.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are

Does anyone have an explanation? I realized you can eliminate A B C because they use "is" and you need "are" to keep it plural. I know that D sounds a but funny having "to hedge against to get through" however I chose D because I wanted to use which because without that part of the sentance the santence would still make sense?

'which' is also used in E , and there is nothing wrong with the usage of ' which' in E. so whats the confusion in this SC ?

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Kudos [?]: 287 [0], given: 51

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 13:06
This post was
BOOKMARKED
a.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is
b.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, is
c.) the financial vehicle which is hedged against by investors to get through the bear market is
d.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are
e.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Does anyone know why the answers is "e" instead of "d"?

Last edited by carcass on 09 Aug 2015, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the post

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
B

Kudos [?]: 550 [1], given: 23

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
In the option D, "which" refers to "Declining values for bonds" rather than referring to Bonds.
This does not makes sense as the investors use the bonds as the financial vehicles, not the declining values of bonds.

Kudos [?]: 550 [1], given: 23

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8339 [0], given: 366

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2015, 20:22
We can simply dispense with A, B and C for using the singular verb ‘is’ rather than ‘are’. Between D and E,

d.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are –Here although the pronoun 'which’ refers to the bonds technically, logically it refers to the 'declining values' that the investors are using as a hedge. It makes no sense to say that a declining value is used as a hedge.

e.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are --- The appositive modifier sets the tone correct by directly referring to the bonds that are used as hedge.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 17:30
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:
In the option D, "which" refers to "Declining values for bonds" rather than referring to Bonds.
This does not makes sense as the investors use the bonds as the financial vehicles, not the declining values of bonds.

Doesnt "which" refer to "bonds" only, as it is the word right before comma?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 2

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2015, 21:06
On second thoughts, the reason for D’s exclusions seems to be for more deep than apparent. While in regard to the referent for ‘which’ in D, it makes more sense to say that the phrase ‘the financial vehicle’ does stand for the bonds more eligibly than for the declining values, technically as well as logically. After all, bonds are financial vehicles and the noun sits smugly before the pronoun ‘which’. Logically a declining value can never be a financial instrument or a hedge.

There is an element of redundancy inherent in D. When we use something to get through something, the usage itself is known as hedging. There is no need to say again ‘use to hedge’ as in ‘D’. The simultaneous usage that ‘use the bonds to hedge’ is redundant. We can as well avoid the phrase ‘to hedge’ in D.

E subtly avoids redundancy and is a better choice. This is an example of how deep the GMAT can get.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2015, 00:45
because sc test meaning, if the meaning is too specialized in some fields, the sentence becomes unfair to person outside the field. the similar case is for reading passage. it reading passage is about a specific field, the person working in that field will be favored and the test becomes unfair.

in this sentence, some persons working in finance field will be favored.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 916

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2016, 22:16
OA has "which" without a comma before it, which rarely is correct. On top of the fact the structure of which - being so far away from its antecedent - makes it not very clear.

I'd still take D over this. Given that this is a MGMAT question and not an official one, I'm not sure how much weight we should be putting forth into this discussion. There's a lot of iffy grammar (such as preposition at the end for D), but the same could be said for E. Awkwardly structured and not well articulated at all.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
G

Kudos [?]: 1149 [1], given: 327

GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2016, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
vivgmat wrote:

a.) the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, is

b.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, is

c.) the financial vehicle which is hedged against by investors to get through the bear market is

d.) which investors use as financial vehicles to hedge against to get through the bear market, are

Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which investors hedge to get through the bear market, are going to force currency trading to increase.

1. Declining Values ----->Are
2. Declining values of bonds --->against which investors hedge

Hence, (E) is the best...

Similar question to practice - declining-values-for-farm-equipment-and-land-the-collateral-129205.html

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1149 [1], given: 327

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 143

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Copenhagen, ESMT"19
GPA: 3.75
WE: Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 11:05
Dear Mod
Reason why D is not the answer is still not clear. Could you please give some insight.
Thanks for your help.

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 143

Intern
Intern
S

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 378

Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 12 Mar 2017, 21:03
Experts please elaborate why D is wrong....i did not find any grammatical error in both D& E

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 378

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.99

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 01:08

Well, in my opinion, E says that bonds are the financial vehicles against which investors hedge (the financial vehicles... is a modifier describing bonds), while D says that investors use them as financial vehicles. It's not exactly the same.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 205

Expert Post
Verbal Expert
S

Kudos [?]: 3640 [0], given: 22

Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 10:35
spradhan wrote:
Experts please elaborate why D is wrong....i did not find any grammatical error in both D& E

The difference between D and E has already been explained by kivalo above, though in my opinion, this difference is not a solid reason to eliminate D. Other than this slight change in meaning, I do not see any problem with option D.

Kudos [?]: 3640 [0], given: 22

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2017, 04:39
IMO "Declining Values" is phrase, so the subject should be singular. "A" should be correct in this way. Please clarify

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves   [#permalink] 18 Nov 2017, 04:39

Declining values for bonds, the financial vehicles against which inves

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap