Last visit was: 07 Jun 2024, 01:27 It is currently 07 Jun 2024, 01:27
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Cranfield MBA? [#permalink]
ligett wrote:
Anyone applying/admitted to Cranfield SOM for the batch of Sept 2011 ?

I'm offered a spot, would be happy to discuss pros and cons!

Yep, I'm in too. Currently trying not to get too demob happy at work. Weird side effect of the slow economy, I'm actually sitting around hoping to get made redundant in July/August :-)
Current Student
Send PM
SeniorFlunky wrote:
Yep, I'm in too. Currently trying not to get too demob happy at work. Weird side effect of the slow economy, I'm actually sitting around hoping to get made redundant in July/August :-)

Senior Flunky

Did you go there for an open day? What was your impression?

I was told that the weakness of the program is its imbalance towards non-EU candidates (also a lot of them from technical background) as well as the lack of star-dust of the students.
I wonder if you have any confirmation of these rumors.

Regards
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ligett wrote:

Senior Flunky

Did you go there for an open day? What was your impression?

I was told that the weakness of the program is its imbalance towards non-EU candidates (also a lot of them from technical background) as well as the lack of star-dust of the students.
I wonder if you have any confirmation of these rumors.

Regards

Yes I was on site for an open day last Sept and again for the interview.

I did notice a technical bias in the people I met (including me) but no real non-EU imbalance. The interview day in particular was mainly EU people. More notable was a gender imbalance in the prospective students (I only met one woman at the interview day) but that did not seem to be reflected in the make up of the current student body.

WRT 'stardust' it's a bit subjective as they do tend to wheel out the best and brightest for these things but I think you are going to get the cohort that is represented by the school ranking and that was my impression comparing Oxford and Cranfield (and I include myself in this)

SF
Current Student
Send PM
SeniorFlunky wrote:

I did notice a technical bias in the people I met (including me) but no real non-EU imbalance. The interview day in particular was mainly EU people. More notable was a gender imbalance in the prospective students (I only met one woman at the interview day) but that did not seem to be reflected in the make up of the current student body.

WRT 'stardust' it's a bit subjective as they do tend to wheel out the best and brightest for these things but I think you are going to get the cohort that is represented by the school ranking and that was my impression comparing Oxford and Cranfield (and I include myself in this)

SF

Thanks for sharing this..
Do you mean that since Said and Judge are both higher in the rankings one would get a cohort better (in any sense) than in Cranfield?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ligett wrote:

Thanks for sharing this..
Do you mean that since Said and Judge are both higher in the rankings one would get a cohort better (in any sense) than in Cranfield?

Yeah pretty much - we all look at the rankings and want to get into the best school possible.

The better schools have higher base requirements so get a slightly higher quality average applicant than schools slightly below them anyway (based on those criteria) and then they cherry pick the best of those for acceptance and finally wheel out the most impressive of these at the open days. Compare the heart surgeon I talked to at Said to the finance guy with an engineering background at Cranfield - he had an impressive future plan but it's just not got that same sheen of glamour.

Whilst Cranfield is good (and will attract very good UK applicants who can't/won't travel) the international students who look at oxbridge may also be looking other comparable international schools before dropping down that little bit in perceived quality (see the ranks and clusterings thread)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73508 [0]
Given Kudos: 19074
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply

This discussion has been closed due to inactivity. Please start a new topic in the Business School Applications Forum if you have a similar question or a comment.

Thank you,
GMAT Club Moderator Team.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6957 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts