Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:02 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [39]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.91
WE:Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Children who are given secondhand.. [#permalink]
I can see why C is the correct answer...
The argument states that children who wear second hand clothing tend to get injured accidentally than others... Now these children can be of various age groups... thats the key point... Consider a large family of say 4 or 5 children and all the children get to wear second hand clothing.. according to the argument "All" the children tend to get injured accidentally... It is more possible that the siblings may get themselves involved in rough play, thereby injuring themselves than the possibility of injuring themselves on playground equipment... However the necessary assumption being that the older siblings will not hurt themselves by indulging themselves in playground equipment...

Nice question...
Hope that helps...
:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
nimrod wrote:
The argument states that children who wear second hand clothing tend to get injured accidentally than others... Now these children can be of various age groups... thats the key point... Consider a large family of say 4 or 5 children and all the children get to wear second hand clothing.. according to the argument "All" the children tend to get injured accidentally... It is more possible that the siblings may get themselves involved in rough play, thereby injuring themselves than the possibility of injuring themselves on playground equipment... However the necessary assumption being that the older siblings will not hurt themselves by indulging themselves in playground equipment...

Nice question...
Hope that helps...

I'm not quite sure if that is the reason why C is correct.

I figure that B is incorrect because it implies that ill fitting clothes are reduced to long sleeves and cuffs. this kind of narrows the scope of what ill fitting clothes are and indirectly implies that well fitting clothes wont have these 'features'. That is of course not correct. A well fitting dress may just as well have loose sleeves etc because that could be the design or cut.

Because of narrowing of scope, I can see why B may not be the right answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4703 [4]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Kudos
jaizen wrote:
In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend to come from households with more children. This makes sense, but what is unusual is that children who wear secondhand clothing also tend to be injured accidentally more often than children who do not wear secondhand clothing.

Which of the following statements best explains the conclusion drawn above?

(A) Children who wear secondhand clothing tend to have parents who are more concerned about their safety and well-being.
(B) Children who wear clothing that doesn't fit well are more likely to get their sleeves and cuffs caught on playground equipment and have accidents.
(C) Younger children who come from larger families tend to get injured accidentally at high rates because they tend to engage in rough play with their older siblings.
(D) The youngest child, who gets the most secondhand clothing, is also the most likely to have an accidental injury.
(E) Secondhand clothing is nearly indistinguishable from clothing bought new.

I don't know which category this question fits in as I don't see any conclusion in the passage. The two statements look more like factual statements.

If the question asks:
"Which statement, if true, would strengthen the fact that children who wear secondhand clothing tend to be injured accidentally".

Let's see the options:
(A) Children who wear secondhand clothing tend to have parents who are more concerned about their safety and well-being.
Yet, the children are getting injured. Why parents? This statement is creating a paradox and nothing else.

(B) Children who wear clothing that doesn't fit well are more likely to get their sleeves and cuffs caught on playground equipment and have accidents.
Who said the secondhand clothes won't fit?

(C) Younger children who come from larger families tend to get injured accidentally at high rates because they tend to engage in rough play with their older siblings.
This statement is just giving an answer to what the question asked. Younger children are getting injured and they also use secondhand clothing. Satisfactory relation.Correct.

(D) The youngest child, who gets the most secondhand clothing, is also the most likely to have an accidental injury.
This is another factual information which doesn't give us a reason why he/she is getting injured.

Thanks for the info, err, useless info!!!

Ans: "C"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
fluke wrote:
jaizen wrote:
In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend to come from households with more children. This makes sense, but what is unusual is that children who wear secondhand clothing also tend to be injured accidentally more often than children who do not wear secondhand clothing.

Which of the following statements best explains the conclusion drawn above?

I don't know which category this question fits in as I don't see any conclusion in the passage. The two statements look more like factual statements.

If the question asks:
"Which statement, if true, would strengthen the fact that children who wear secondhand clothing tend to be injured accidentally".

Let's see the options:
Yet, the children are getting injured. Why parents? This statement is creating a paradox and nothing else.

Who said the secondhand clothes won't fit?

This statement is just giving an answer to what the question asked. Younger children are getting injured and they also use secondhand clothing. Satisfactory relation.Correct.

This is another factual information which doesn't give us a reason why he/she is getting injured.

Thanks for the info, err, useless info!!!

Ans: "C"

Yep. B is wrong because second hand clothes neednt not fit well. Which leaves C. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
C follows neatly from the stimulus.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:

dont really know what you mean by that..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
jaizen wrote:
DevilDoggNC wrote:

dont really know what you mean by that..

Sorry..I was a bit vague.

What I meant was / is:

The Stimulus states: 1) Large families are more likely to use second hand clothes.
2) Children wearing second hand clothes (implying children in larger families) tend to get injured often.

So what piece of information can connect these two statements logically?

Choice C provided a proper connection between the two claims made in the stimulus.

Hope this makes it more clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: In America, children who are given secondhand clothing tend [#permalink]
B and C both can bet true, why B is wrong answer?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: LBS
GPA: 3.82
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
eiffel wrote:

I'm guessing it's because B doesn't address the "large family" part? there need to be more children AND accidents that the answer choice must address, and C addresses that by linking younger siblings & elder siblings to the story.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
rockthegmat007 wrote:
eiffel wrote:

I'm guessing it's because B doesn't address the "large family" part? there need to be more children AND accidents that the answer choice must address, and C addresses that by linking younger siblings & elder siblings to the story.

Thank you
sometimes I just force my self to think like that .
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
eiffel wrote:

Even i chose B as the answer (mainly cause in my head that was the reason i was looking for) !!
But then went back and read them , and the choices are brilliant, cause if you read carefully choice B doesn't talk about "Second hand " clothes at ALL !
choice B just talks about ill fitting clothes, but i guess most of us immediately took the implication that its the second hand clothes that are ill fitting, despite the fact that no where do they mention the second hand clothes :shock: :shock:
Very neat trick though ! Awesome q.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1137
Schools: NUS '23
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello,

I narrowed down to B and C but I failed to understand why C is the right answer? To me, C looks as wrong as B because it does not mention anything about second-hand clothes being worn by younger children and not by older children of the family?

Can anyone please help me out? I'd be grateful.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 45
Send PM
Why B is wrong:- Passage talk about secondhand clothing but there is nothing in passage which says that secondhand clothing is not fitted or so. Option B talk about clothing which are generally loose or do not fit children but it may or may not be second hand clothing.

Why C is correct:-C is correct because it indeed provide a reason for conclusion drawn in passage regarding accident rate of children belonging to large families vs small families.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
nimrod wrote:

Nice question...
Hope that helps...

With similar logic, children from small families also can engage in rough play with cousins or friends & get themselves equally injured ?

(Also, practically thinking it is the nature of child not environment to engage in rough or gentle play)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts