Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.13
WE:Real Estate (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Consortium Applicants! [#permalink]
Tuck, Yale, Stern, McCombs, Haas and Anderson for me :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 630 Q40 V36
GPA: 3.13
WE:Real Estate (Real Estate)
Send PM
We have an exact date for when the application opens for 2012?
VP
VP
Send PM
I haven't seen anything on when the 2012 application will go live. I did start writing a first draft of the career goals essay last night.

How far into the process is everyone?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Consortium
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
I haven't seen anything on when the 2012 application will go live. I did start writing a first draft of the career goals essay last night.

How far into the process is everyone?

I for one plan on starting the first drafts in about two weeks. What KILLS me about this process is trying to decide which schools to apply to because of the rankings! I mean YES I'd like to apply to Yale and Tuck BUT would ranking them 1 and 2 destroy my chances of getting a fellowship at Anderson and Johnson if I were to get in just because I initially ranked them lower?!?!? AHHHHH decisions decisions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Consulting, Social Enterprise
Send PM
Hey everyone! This is my 2nd go at it and I'm def excited!

I was WL at Stern last year, and was taken off in May.

I def had a huge (major) weakness which I am addressing this summer- my gmat

I just signed up for the Knewton and hope this will help. if anyone has any suggestions on a strategy/books etc for retaking the gmat I'd really appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ghinderbelle wrote:

I just signed up for the Knewton and hope this will help. if anyone has any suggestions on a strategy/books etc for retaking the gmat I'd really appreciate it.

Hi! I would suggust using the MGMAT books, it's pretty much a concensus on here that those are the best books to use. I took the MGMAT class and while I don't think the whole class is necessary, I did think the books were amazing. Good luck!
VP
VP
Send PM
ghinderbelle wrote:

I second mixedin86's sentiments. Get the Manhattan GMAT Strategy guides. They are the best around for self study. I'd also recommend using the GMATClub tests as well. Once you get the basics down these can really help push your quant score to the next level.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Consulting, Social Enterprise
Send PM
Thanks! I have the mgmat books so I will def use those.

I was so hooked on this forum last year- had some interesting people, lago was hilarious...

It's a great support as no one around you really understands what you are going through... Looking forward to it!

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Given Kudos: 76
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Count me in.
Stern, Anderson, Marshall, Emory
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi,

I will be applying for the first time in Fall of 2012. I'm really excited!

Is anyone on this board applying with the GRE only?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
I still don't understand how the Consortium works. If any body can help me out with these questions I would appreciate it.

a. Does it help AT ALL in the actual admissions process?

b. The deadline for the consortium app is between most schools 1st and 2nd rounds, does your app get included in the round 1, round 2,..or does it differ by school?

c. How do you demonstrate commitment to Consortium's mission? Do you have to have a long track record of being involved in minority business associations? I was a member of my undergrads minority business student assoc,....but besides that nothing. Moreover, I'm at a loss as to who I should get to write my Consortium recommendation as I graduated from undergrad 5 years ago.

d. Someone missioned above that they didn't want to apply to all the highly ranked schools because they wanted a chance at the fellowship. Does school ranking affect your chances at a fellowship?

I'd appreciate it if anybody could help me with these questions. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mooze wrote:
I still don't understand how the Consortium works. If any body can help me out with these questions I would appreciate it.

b. The deadline for the consortium app is between most schools 1st and 2nd rounds, does your app get included in the round 1, round 2,..or does it differ by school?

c. How do you demonstrate commitment to Consortium's mission? Do you have to have a long track record of being involved in minority business associations? I was a member of my undergrads minority business student assoc,....but besides that nothing. Moreover, I'm at a loss as to who I should get to write my Consortium recommendation as I graduated from undergrad 5 years ago.

d. Someone missioned above that they didn't want to apply to all the highly ranked schools because they wanted a chance at the fellowship. Does school ranking affect your chances at a fellowship?

I'm no expert but I have been very interested in the Consortium for about 9 months and have done a decent amount of reasearch.

a) From what i've read from Admissions Officers NO it doesnt not help your chances of admission, however they do look highly upon Consortium applicants so that in itself may give you a very slight advantage.

*It does help the application process because you save on cost, number of essays, and number of recommendations per recommender you have to ask for when applying to multiple Consortium schools.

b) This varies by school so you just have to ask, some evaluate Consortium applications in round 1 and give round 1 decisions to applicants, others do not. From what I've gathered, most, if not all schools look at Consortium applications as if they are a round of their own. I would just advise to apply through Consortium's first round to have the best chance of admission.

c) I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but I think you just have to dig deep and draw off your past experiences if you can't think of how you've supported the mission off the top of your head, there's really a million things you may have done, they aren't looking for anything specific. Not only is it not required to have a long track record of having been in minority associations, simply having been in them in no way supports the mission unless maybe you've been a leader in those associations of have done something more related to the supporting of the mission within that association.

d) now THIS is the tricky one. Most will say just rank the schools in the order you want to go to them and let it play out, but if you are someone who really needs a fellowship (like me) you may want to be a little careful. For example, if a somewhat average candidate applies to Yale, Tuck, Berkeley, Stern, Anderson, & Johnson in that order and are accepted into Anderson and Johnson and dinged at the rest, they will likely NOT be offered a fellowship at Anderson and Johnson because they will see that they were ranked 5th and 6th. Conversely if they had ranked Anderson and Johnson 1st and 2nd their chance for a fellowship will be MUCH higher. So I think you just have to be careful and apply to schools that match you best.

Again, this is all my NOVICE opinion and I hope to gain more insight at the MBA Diversity Conference at UCLA in a few weeks since Consortium will be there along with admissions people from most of the Consortium schools.

Check out the following link, it may answer some of your other consortium questions:
https://www.accepted.com/chat/transcript ... rtium.aspx

Best of luck.
VP
VP
Send PM
mooze wrote:

It helps in terms of reducing the # of essays you have to write, the LORs your recommenders will have to complete, and the money you will pay in application fees. Applying through the Consortium also puts you in the running for a full-tuition fellowship.

It differs by the school. Some schools put you in with R1, others shift your app to R2. I don't think it makes a difference in terms of likelihood for admission.

The mission goes far beyond being involved in minority business associations. It's about increasing the number of minorities at top schools and in senior corporate leadership. I advise you to look beyond the surface of the Consortium's mission. Think about the reasons why there aren't more Blacks, Latinos, and Native Americans in the top schools and in senior leadership. What are the barriers to entry into elite schools and officer positions in F500 companies. Evaluate your commitment to the mission in terms of the things you've done to address these issues. Your recommender should be able to speak to more than just your membership in a minority club. I'm sure there is someone who has observed you since graduation who can talk about your commitment to the Consortium's mission in numerous ways.

I don't know much about this. I've heard a lot about rankings and how they affect admission and being awarded the scholarship. Hopefully others can shed more light on this.
VP
VP
Send PM
Hey all! For anyone planning to apply to Stern, the application for the 2011 Discover Stern Fall Diversity Weekend has been released.

https://secure.stern.nyu.edu/mba/admissions_forms/diversity/index.html
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Hey all! For anyone planning to apply to Stern, the application for the 2011 Discover Stern Fall Diversity Weekend has been released.

https://secure.stern.nyu.edu/mba/admissions_forms/diversity/index.html

I just hit the send button on my Diversity Weekend app! Hope to see everyone there!
VP
VP
Send PM
Anyone here go to the MBA Tour conference in NYC @ the Grand Hyatt this past Saturday?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
I actually planned on it, but due to a conflict, was unable to. Would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the MBA tour event.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  118   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts