Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:46 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016 (Entering 2014) [#permalink]
hbsguru wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by admits Sandy. But to answer your questions:

1. Three of us got invites. Myself, GooglePlus and another user who was on the chat the other day, but I don't know her user ID. Two others got waitlisted, it looks like.
2. The interview software link will be given to us on Monday, so we can take a look at that and see where we stand.

Transcendence: I tried to access that group but it says you need to be given permission to view it. Do you know the mod or someone? Or perhaps, can you link us to it (in case I'm looking at the wrong one)?

thanks, yeah, I meant invites to interview, not admits, dunno, that strikes me as low, even including kid fr. other forum and some other kids I know fr. my practice, but we are dealing with a universe where total invites could be 100 or less, ,soooooooo once again tyranny of small numbers in terms of making generalizations. All that said, I'm pretty jaded about HBS admissions, at this point, but, phew, they dinged and WL some impressive players. I am not sure if there is any new filter they are using (viz. hard science) or if at this point in the Darwinian evolution of applicants, many, many, many kids have evolved into high gpa/high gmat/high extra curric alpha-predator types. :-) or both.

I am in the process of evolving :) Indeed if they send out a total of 200 interviews to admit 100 people, it's like 50 each round. Even if early round has more/stronger applicants, we might still end up with well below 100 interviews for the summer round.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:

1. Three of us got invites. Myself, GooglePlus and another user who was on the chat the other day, but I don't know her user ID. Two others got waitlisted, it looks like.
2. The interview software link will be given to us on Monday, so we can take a look at that and see where we stand.

Transcendence: I tried to access that group but it says you need to be given permission to view it. Do you know the mod or someone? Or perhaps, can you link us to it (in case I'm looking at the wrong one)?

yo, you need a WSO account to join the group. I am waiting for approval from the admin from that group, and will let you know when I get in the group and see something interesting...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
hbsguru wrote:
thanks, yeah, I meant invites to interview, not admits, dunno, that strikes me as low, even including kid fr. other forum and some other kids I know fr. my practice, but we are dealing with a universe where total invites could be 100 or less, ,soooooooo once again tyranny of small numbers in terms of making generalizations. All that said, I'm pretty jaded about HBS admissions, at this point, but, phew, they dinged and WL some impressive players. I am not sure if there is any new filter they are using (viz. hard science) or if at this point in the Darwinian evolution of applicants, many, many, many kids have evolved into high gpa/high gmat/high extra curric alpha-predator types. :-) or both.

Sandy, could the reason be there were may be very few applications in the summer round and thus, even with a great profile, people got dinged or wait-listed? I'm assuming only the best candidates applied in this round in this scenario.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
02163 wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

yo, you need a WSO account to join the group. I am waiting for approval from the admin from that group, and will let you know when I get in the group and see something interesting...

I have a WSO account. I actually came across that thread like two weeks ago and requested access but I still haven't gotten in. So I created a new forum topic under my same alias. Check it out :)

Sandy: Even amongst the few people on this thread, I know some impressive people were rejected. Do you think the reason for this, as saptak suggested, is that there were very few applicants? How do you think this is going to affect the interview:admit ratio? Less interviews, and preferably higher rate of acceptance? :D Also, could you guesstimate how many people you know who have interviews?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
02163 wrote:
whiplash2411 wrote:

I have a WSO account. I actually came across that thread like two weeks ago and requested access but I still haven't gotten in. So I created a new forum topic under my same alias. Check it out :)

Sandy: Even amongst the few people on this thread, I know some impressive people were rejected. Do you think the reason for this, as saptak suggested, is that there were very few applicants? How do you think this is going to affect the interview:admit ratio? Less interviews, and preferably higher rate of acceptance? :D Also, could you guesstimate how many people you know who have interviews?

I stopped waiting for their approval immediately..

I think hbs rejects impressive people frequently because it's hbs
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Well, they should have some precedent for doing so. We have no idea what their parameters are so we can't really say anything :(
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
02163 wrote:
I think this is true. You have a good background and should consider some of the top MsF programs. Princeton has a good one.

Thanks 02163. I'm considering either getting a banking analyst job or going to a MsF/MFE program.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
YaoTHU wrote:
02163 wrote:
I think this is true. You have a good background and should consider some of the top MsF programs. Princeton has a good one.

Thanks 02163. I'm considering either getting a banking analyst job or going to a MsF/MFE program.

which BB are you in? PM me. I am from China and going back in a month.
2+2 Story in Poets and Quants,
https://poetsandquants.com/2011/07/24/ha ... heir-fate/

NO REAL DATA ABOUT HOW MANY KIDS APPLIED THIS SUMMER OR HOW MANY WERE INTERVIEWED BUT LOTS OF GOOD HISTORICAL DATA
VIZ:
Quote:
Some 60 2+2 students are expected this year out of a total of 106 from 52 colleges who were admitted two years ago. Most of the other accepted students are deferring their entrance for another year or more.

Some 630 undergraduates applied in the first year, leading to an acceptance rate of 17%. Admits in that cohort had average GMAT scores of 718 and a grade point average of 3.73. A much higher percentage of 2+2 admits were women. In that first group, 41% were female. And only 3% had degrees in business administration.

Since that first year, however, 2+2 admission has become significantly more competitive. Last year, the acceptance rate fell to only 12%–five percentage points lower than the first cohort. HBS admitted fewer students, 100, from a much larger applicant pool of 828 students, up by nearly 200 applications from the first year. The average GMAT score for what would be the Class of 2015 cohort hit 720 and the average GPA was 3.76. The average GRE Q score was 773, while the average GRE V score was 662.

https://poetsandquants.com/2011/07/24/ha ... heir-fate/

as to speculation that they are interviewing fewer kids and accepting more, dunno, dont think so, for no real reason other than why would they change, my guess is, admit percent of those interviewed will be sorta 60 pct,same as it ever was. As to better kids applying in summer round, well, better INFORMED kids, and kids who follow blogs like this, YES, and kids who somehow missed HBS outreach, etc. but they can cont. to do outreach all year, and those junketering adcoms will, nothing like visiting schools in S. California in Dec to tout Rnds 2 and 3. To some extent, THE PERFECT 2+2 APPLICANT IS SOME KID WHO NEVER HEARD OF THE PROGRAM, TOO BUSY WITH HIS BEAKERS AND CYCLOTRON.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
That's an interesting article. We'll know how many interview slots were given on Monday.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
That's an interesting article. We'll know how many interview slots were given on Monday.

Congrats on your interview invitation! :D
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thank you. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
whiplash2411 wrote:
Thank you. :)

I have been browsing your posts but can't seem to find a detailed post of your profile hmm...want to help me out here? haha :p
SVP
SVP
Send PM
I'm not sure what you mean by profile. What do you want to know? :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.81
Send PM

Originally posted by solb22 on 24 Jul 2011, 14:17.
Last edited by solb22 on 09 Jan 2014, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
The decisions are not out yet. Only interview invitations have been extended. You can read through the threads here for some stats but there aren't many of us around :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
solb22 wrote:
Applying to Harvard 2+2 round 1 (not the earliest one, the next earliest)
stats:

Undergrad: University of Southern California (USC)
Major: Physics
GPA: 3.83
GMAT: 760 (99%) 49Q 46V
2 years work experience @ GE in microbiology research. 1 at another professors lab. 2 published papers
also a bunch of leadership positions, started a club and raised lots of money blah blah

Any info on whos gotten in/rejected yet? What are their stats? Any shockers (kids who had high stats but rejected)

good luck to you all. were gonna need it. this app pool looks talented

WOW your stats are amazing. I'm in for round 1 too. Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  24