Last visit was: 18 May 2024, 16:47 It is currently 18 May 2024, 16:47
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.58
WE:Design (Other)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2012 - Calling All Applicants (Class of 2014) [#permalink]
btk wrote:
Welcome welcome prospective 2014! Congrats on wrapping up your R1 applications, now arm yourselves with patience!

As far as recs going in late, the admissions committee is lenient if the rec is a couple of days late and you will still be considered R1, if it is over that you may be moved to R2 - I would suggest writing someone from admissions - preferably someone you already had contact with - and explain the situation.

Good luck to all!

thanks, useful info.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2013
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Answers for everyone:
- The first people will likely hear over the next couple of weeks, but people will get interview invites all the way until decision notification.
- Last year offer acceptance and deposit were due past February 10 for sure, because that was the date of Winter Welcome which is a courting event for the R1 admits. I will update as I learn more about this year's timeline.

For everyone still deciding, or even if you have already applied, I strongly encourage you to apply for Explore Diversity and come visit us. It's the only way to know whether our school is right for you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Yale - Class of 2012
Send PM
When I applied for Round 1 at the end of the 2009, I recall get invited to interview about seven days after I submitted my application (which was conveniently five minutes before the deadline). At the early end, you guys will find out soon (though I don't think there is any reason to worry even if you don't get invited to interview right away). I had friends who were invited to interview towards towards the latter end and they happily got it.

I would prepare for interviews if I were you guys though. Although I didn't find the Yale SOM interview to be particularly difficult, I would try to practice so you can effectively express and verbalize your interests in Yale SOM. To me, Yale SOM is a special business school that has so much intangible benefit and amazing qualities, which are hard to necessarily define in words. Start polishing up your stories so you can communicate your commitment to the school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Yale seems like a wonderful school. It has very good finance placements and the alumni network seems strong. The essays seem tailor made to me (especially #3 what have you done to switch careers. This fits in like a glove for me). But the school seems to place a heavy emphasis on GPA. I am wondering whether I should apply given my 710 GMAT and 2.6 in electrical engineering from a Canadian school. My stats are obviously quite below average for Yale SOM.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
When I applied for Round 1 at the end of the 2009, I recall get invited to interview about seven days after I submitted my application.

Wow, that's pretty quick. Hopefully we'll start hearing back within the next 10 days! Does anyone else here have SOM as your #1 choice? Or is it just one of your choices?

PS: It would be great if an SOM alumnus wrote a book or an essay similar to Ahead of the Curve. That was a good read.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
gijoedude wrote:
Yale seems like a wonderful school. It has very good finance placements and the alumni network seems strong. The essays seem tailor made to me (especially #3 what have you done to switch careers. This fits in like a glove for me). But the school seems to place a heavy emphasis on GPA. I am wondering whether I should apply given my 710 GMAT and 2.6 in electrical engineering from a Canadian school. My stats are obviously quite below average for Yale SOM.

You should definitely apply. Sounds like you have quite a story to tell. Given the difference in grading systems, you could also potentially use your fifth (additional information) essay to describe your undergrad program's academic rigor. If you have any indications of class rankings, you should also list them (for example: if you were top 25 percentile in your program).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Submitted for R1... Let's wait now ! :gl Did anyone receive an IWT invite at this point ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 336 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
jk12 wrote:
If anyone has list of recommender questions can they post it?

in for applying this fall

It seems that we have to create an account to see the questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
@ nink & others....

Is there a huge difference between the number of offers made in R1 vs R2? I stopped short of applying in R1 because of lack of due diligence on my part regarding the program. At the same time, my Grad GPA (Econ masters; LSE) is below the avg (3.0/4) (though I have a distinction in UG) and a 1500 GRE, 740 GMAT. I am tempted to take a few online classes (mbamaths etc..) to have an alternate transcript ready in time for R2.

Need suggestions. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
Awfully quiet around here, anyone think interview invites start going out this week? Last year at this time this thread was over 8 pages.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
NYYankees wrote:
Awfully quiet around here, anyone think interview invites start going out this week? Last year at this time this thread was over 8 pages.

I'm noticing a lot of "Calling All..." threads were way more bustling last year than this year. An indicator of fewer applicants YoY maybe?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
LSEguy wrote:
@ nink & others....

Is there a huge difference between the number of offers made in R1 vs R2?

Thanks!

For an average applicant, it is a non-factor. R2 admissions depends on response from R1 send-outs.
But again, for an avg applicant, R1 and R2 should not be much of a variance.

In regards to grad school GPA, I think more emphasis is on UG GPA. It makes sense to build an alternative transcript to address low UG GPA, but not for grad school GPA.

In regards to lesser activity in this forum compared to last yr, it's probably because the roll call is now automated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
nink wrote:
In regards to lesser activity in this forum compared to last yr, it's probably because the roll call is now automated.

That's a good point
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
LSEguy wrote:
@ nink & others....

Is there a huge difference between the number of offers made in R1 vs R2? I stopped short of applying in R1 because of lack of due diligence on my part regarding the program. At the same time, my Grad GPA (Econ masters; LSE) is below the avg (3.0/4) (though I have a distinction in UG) and a 1500 GRE, 740 GMAT. I am tempted to take a few online classes (mbamaths etc..) to have an alternate transcript ready in time for R2.

Need suggestions. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks!

I think you are fine. As Nink mentioned, the crux of the GPA evaluation will focus on your undergrad grades. I would just commit on writing a great collection of essays to really tell a convincing story. If you are studying Econ at LSE, you could have a potentially wonderful story to tell... Yale is arguably the top institution in the world for behavioral finance and economics with not only Robert Shiller but a great roster of other behavioral finance thought leaders...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
^ I wish comments such as the one above wouldn't clog this thread.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Just got an invite from Yale to interview on campus. Not sure if there are different types of requests at this point or if they're all on campus invites. Either way, I'm living abroad so I imagine I'll have to find a way to do it remotely or hope that there's an alum living in the general vicinity...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
joerandom wrote:
Just got an invite from Yale to interview on campus. Not sure if there are different types of requests at this point or if they're all on campus invites. Either way, I'm living abroad so I imagine I'll have to find a way to do it remotely or hope that there's an alum living in the general vicinity...

You can do alumni interview. Or, if YSOM adcom is traveling in the area, he/she will make arrangements. In certain cases, they even do the interview over a computer. But they should be able to find an alumni nearby.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5  ...  42   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts